Freedomflyer

Horse trading

Was able to do some horse trading after purchasing a used set of beadlock rims with 27" AGT Dirt Tamer tires on them. The colored lock rings are in pretty rough shape,  scratches and gouges. Tires were in pretty good shape so was able to trade the tires and black factory rims off of my wife's machine for these rims and tires  and dress up the wife's machine.  I  will do some light filing, sanding, and a touch of bondo here and there on the damaged rings and paint them red to go on our other Outlander Max. Should dress that machine up as well. Our storage trunk we ordered finally came in as well. 20201102_171142.jpg

20201102_170730.jpg

• Like 7

Not yet, maybe this next wee I'll get out. Have been so busy this fall I can't see straight. Getting older sucks.😕

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Not yet, maybe this next wee I'll get out. Have been so busy this fall I can't see straight. Getting older sucks.😕

join the crowd, i aint fond of it neither. 65 an broke down. 🙂,

still trying though, crazy-er then a loon. hope!, i aint never right, in a sheep since, follow the crowd.

the heck with that., follow your own way., an the ! with the rest., least they cook good. sheep's that follow wolves, i got no problem with those getting et. the more the merrier.  just leave the rest of us alone.

Edited by LedFTed

11 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

57 and sometimes feel like I'm 77 depending on the day🥴😕

im 65, 57 is young. 😀😀

It sure doesn't feel young sometimes,  I abused my body too much working way too hard doing repetitive things when I was younger. Not smart!

• Like 3

Finally getting a chance to get my second set of bead locks cleaned up and painted. Some one abused them terribly, lots of scratches and gouges. Filled them all with JB weld last night and cleaned up all the bolts with a bench mounted wire brush.  Filed and sanded this afternoon. Just sprayed them and the bolts with self etching primer will let them sit over night and spray them tomorrow. 

20201118_145329.jpg

20201118_145337.jpg

20201118_180230.jpg

20201118_180234.jpg

• Like 2

That looks good.  I got some aluminum Rubicon wheels a few days ago that look like they were ridden on gravel with no tires on them.  Might need to do that to the beads on those.

Got them sprayed this morning as well as the beadlock bolts,  think I will let them sit and harden for 48 hrs in the heat of the house. Only 37 degrees right now,  high of 42.😕 At least it's a dry 42, about 50% humidity. 

20201119_093742.jpg

20201119_115340.jpg

20201119_115432.jpg

• Like 2

Do you think this is a close enough match? I'm not totally sure I like the color.🤔 I guess it is going to be separated and not right next to the plastics so will probably be okay.......hard to find a rich color that is close. This seems a bit pink to me.

20201119_140409.jpg

20201119_135941.jpg

Will let them sit at least through the weekend possibly for a week so the paint cures to a good hard finish. May even wait until next spring as my red machine is the one I use for plowing. I'll see, may just set them next to my gas stove in the basement and let them cure for the week. Would really like to see them on the machine but dont want to screw up the finish by mounting too early.

20201119_172446.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good FF !!!! ---- I think when you apply the socket to them bolts , it is going to mess up the paint no matter how long you let it cure ---- if it does , you might be able to cut some paper to go over one bolt at a time and respray any that get dinged up 

i had the same issue when i plast-dipped my rims, then had to go back, and touch up the lug nuts with a brush, what he might do is dip the socket in some plier handle coating like this, then when done just peel the coating off / out of the socket. 

image.jpg

Yeah, Fish I've been thinking about that and come to grips that it's going to screw them up some and will need to touch them up.  Wilson may give that a try.  But even the bolt heads were in bad shape, some of them I had to do some filing on because they were a bit mis-shapen, and he must have lost some of the original bolts because there were some silver colored ones that weren't OEM so needed to be painted or colored in any event. I figure even if I chip them up and have to do some touch up it will look better than what they were like.🙂 The guy that had these things really must have beat the crap out of his machine. The two rings that were on the front wheels were the ones that were hammered the worst. The two on the back weren't bad on the outside but the inside on the flat between the beads were torn up pretty bad, like he got rocks caught in there and just drove it till they came out. Scratches all around the entire inside circumference. I'm just going to clean that part up with some acetone and spray it with some satin black,  won't see it anyway. Hey, by the time I'm done and hopefully sell off my wife's tires and stock silver aluminum wheels from my red machine,  I'll  end up with two sets of beadlocks for free or less than a $100. Those things are $210 eachbrand new so $1600 worth of wheels for $100 or less is worth the 8 hours of spare time and the short drive to go 

get them. The ones with the red rings aren't perfect but if you shake your head back and forth and blink as your looking at them they look pretty good.😉

20201120_085652.jpg

20201120_085704.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

.......hard to find a rich color that is close. This seems a bit pink to me.

A couple coats of two-part (automotive) urethane clear coat should make that color pop!

Since this is enamel, won't the clear coat bubble it? I don't have a sprayer to apply the clear coat. I painted these with rattle can paint.

Talked with my neighbor, he manages a body shop. He said the clear coat is kind of like an epoxy. I may see what he would charge to spray them for me. Might be able to sneak them in when they are spraying one of the vehicles in the shop.

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 1

Yup they are two-part urethanes, tough as nails after a few weeks when they fully cure. You should be able to shoot your enamel since urethanes are generally not reactive with other finishes. You'll need to scuff up the cured color coat with a grey scotchbrite pad (or similar grit) to get a good bond though. Ask your buddy how he'd like to see those parts prepped.

Will mount these on the machine just to see what they look like then take them off and let them sit through the winter, will plow with the old factory rims and tires.

20201122_222504.jpg

20201122_214849.jpg

20201123_001821.jpg

• Like 2