sled_22

BREAKING BEADS

Alright all you smart folks.

what kind of contraptions are you using to break your own beads in the garage? I was not able to get mine broke down using a tire hammer, irons, bars, jack & straps.... The rust build up my tires have is not good between the beads and rims... I've seen the hinged contraptions with a long lever on the internets but wondering if any of you have a clever solution before I take them to the shop to be mounted.

Sled

A board and car or truck tire  , depending on what you drive.  ——-   Try some gasoline in the crack between the tire and rim. ——-  buy a tire breaker or make one.  ——-take it off for  new tires?   Cut the old tire off with a saws-all.  ———— bring it to the tire shop. 

• Like 3

shade drives his truck up on the side of tire, which I've also done, works good, the last one i broke down was by using Dave's 3-point hitch wood splitter (before i got my 35 ton) 

Some of the harder tires I gave up and too them to the tire shop (Executioners, 589's).  I've never had any luck driving on them, and my harbor freight tire changer doesn't do much on the tires with super stiff sidewalls.

I've thought about getting one of these, but I can have a lot of tires broken down for $110.  Local Walmart charges me $5/tire, and sometimes they don't charge me at all.

https://beadbuster.com/product/beadbuster-xb-450/?gclid=CjwKCAiAnIT9BRAmEiwANaoE1UfxX7gNZdBuFsxWRyxFRrHcCUgcwmq-HEaQ5K5LDnsqR_XDZ7JxdhoC1ncQAvD_BwE

• Like 2

Yeah the fronts are 589s..... glad i wasn't the only one to struggle with them.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Local Walmart charges me $5/tire, and sometimes they don't charge me at all.

Same but just local tire shop instead. I live pretty far away from a tire place and have the tools to do this job but don't.

You get away with it most times but when you don't it wastes so much time that you could have paid several times over to have it done.

Edit: If you are going to do the car thing there is a great trick. Need one board under and one on top. Set the rim against a tree or wall and build the over under board thing on the other side. Then just drive up as close to the rim as possible. If there is more than one person it is much easier. This method works 100% of the time but will potentially waste half a day and can easily damage things and/or hurt someone.

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

This is one I built out of parts from three different junked tire tools and some other pieces , one was a harbor Freight junker that the handle broke and tore my finger up real bad ,>>>>>>  this one works really good on tires up to 26s , doesn't work on my 27s 

fullsizeoutput_14a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

nice little tool jeep ^^^^^ ditto , i did all four of my trx 350 tires (board and truck)  in less then 1 hour, and had the new ones mounted in no time, but i wasn't dealing with rusty beads. i bet that made the job tougher. you learn all kinds of tricks after working at a tire shop, lol. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

I have one of those bead buster xb 450 tools they are junk. Mine has been broke and welded up a few times, it rarely does 4 tires without coming apart.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Mac102004 said:

I have one of those bead buster xb 450 tools they are junk. Mine has been broke and welded up a few times, it rarely does 4 tires without coming apart.

Good to know.  I've thought about ordering one.  I've seen a few reviews that said the bolts strip out, but the company who makes them supposedly replaced them after they failed.

I tried going to the local tire shop first.  They wanted $15/tire to break them down.  Just to remove old tires from wheels.

Walmart charges $5/tire for "specialty tires" and a lot of the time they don't charge me at all because I'm in there all the time and they know me.

• Like 2

i just drive my front tire on my truck on at the rim bead, then ease the tire around the bead, works great for me. once you get the tire of your truck next to the bead, back it off, get out, spin the tire around, rinse and repeat. also helps to spray some wd-40 around the rim bead when you have your truck tire next to the rim bead. been doing it this way for years.

• Like 1

can't get more clever then that, ^^^ lol! no trip to the tire store, no payment for breaking them down / mounting,  just imagine .. after all the years how much money a man saves this way.

On November 3, 2020 at 1:45 PM, sled_22 said:

clever solution before I take them to the shop to be mounted

Hi: Here is another bead breaker I built long time ago -- used buy Aussie army

1104201923-00.jpg

1104201922-00.jpg

• Like 4

Well I got my front tires broke down. Truck and 2x6 with some wd40. @shadetree comes through again. The 589s actually came down with some gentle side to side tire turning in the truck. 

C0E32518-7509-40DE-A514-EFBDC7B4A7EC.jpeg

5FE32A56-8BA6-4A2C-A6CF-D427734C381D.jpeg

C7F49DD7-53E7-4BB5-84C2-8A7B91DC3581.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I used to use an ATV/motorcycle jack to lift the tire & rim up under a trailer hitch on the back of my car/truck. After that being kinda of a pain in the butt, i started doing what my dad used to do to car tires ages ago where you drive over them with a 2x4. Then i started using a bus, worked great! Finally at Princess Auto (or as i call it the Dollar Store for car stuff) they had a tire changer on sale for just over $60. Best 60$ i ever spent!

• Like 4

Forgot to post some of the rust along the bead. Angle grinder and wire wheel took that off in a jiffy. Make sure to clean that stuff up when changing tires or you’ll eventually get slow leaks. 

ACA8FF1D-8FAE-46D6-A2D8-CF35D84A33BB.jpeg

588D2231-ABB1-4B51-9D03-9BCA6F8E6F42.jpeg

• Like 4

how do ya seal a bead? the zero ture loses air around the bead, on one tire, i figure it could apply here as well.

maybe its the tire?... i sanded the rim an repainted it. usually it works,,, not in this case. thought about using silicone.

have to get tires an rims for the atv. but thats another story.

'Ted ----  When I get a bad leak around the rim , I apply some of this bead sealer , after cleaning the dirt off the tire's bead  and rim's sealing lip --------   or

put Slime in the tire if the leak is small 

image.png

• Like 1