sled_22

BREAKING BEADS

7 hours ago, LedFTed said:

how do ya seal a bead? the zero ture loses air around the bead, on one tire, i figure it could apply here as well.

maybe its the tire?... i sanded the rim an repainted it. usually it works,,, not in this case. thought about using silicone.

have to get tires an rims for the atv. but thats another story.

So you basically need to get the bead back set on the rim?

First thing to do is get the valve core out of the valve stem. This greatly reduces the amount of air you can put in over a short amount of time. Then you just use an air nozzle sticking into the stem instead of the valve stem air chuck.

Next lube the tire with some tire "snot" or dawn & water. Make the bead slippery.

Then you want to press down in the center of the tire to try and "squish" the tire outwards onto the bead while applying air. If this doesn't work, putting a ratchet strap around the outside circumference of the tire to squish it outwards onto the bead as well. Just don't keep airing the tire up with the ratchet strap on or you could grenade your strap.

I hope this all makes sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

So you basically need to get the bead back set on the rim?

First thing to do is get the valve core out of the valve stem. This greatly reduces the amount of air you can put in over a short amount of time. Then you just use an air nozzle sticking into the stem instead of the valve stem air chuck.

Next lube the tire with some tire "snot" or dawn & water. Make the bead slippery.

Then you want to press down in the center of the tire to try and "squish" the tire outwards onto the bead while applying air. If this doesn't work, putting a ratchet strap around the outside circumference of the tire to squish it outwards onto the bead as well. Just don't keep airing the tire up with the ratchet strap on or you could grenade your strap.

I hope this all makes sense.

I don't think 'Ted is talking about getting the tire bead to " seat " against the rim , he is talking about getting the tire bead to " seal " and not leak around the rim  , but that is just my interpretation , I am still learning how to speak  'Ted and it's been about  10 years now  ----LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I don't think 'Ted is talking about getting the tire bead to " seat " against the rim , he is talking about getting the tire bead to " seal " and not leak around the rim  , but that is just my interpretation , I am still learning how to speak  'Ted and it's been about  10 years now  ----LOL

I just read that again, i think you may be right. LOL. At first I took it as the bead wasn't sealing up on the rim and loosing air while trying to seat the rim.

Sorry Ted if I have misled you.