slowindown

Stihl ms171 vs husqvarna 120 or 38cc saw

They burn down because they all smoked cigs and never contained flammable liquids correctly. How many small engines that don't run right have fuel related issues. On top of that, they are always sharpening lawn mower and chainsaw blades making sparks

not exactly what happened on my end, he was in a bad part of town, and was burned out over mule day weekend, when the east side blocks parties take place. he had already told me he was getting out of the business, because he couldn't compete with the local ace lowes, and seárs stores, that's why I'm all in favor of supporting local owned businesses, which are dieing off. 

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

not exactly what happened on my end, he was in a bad part of town, and was burned out over mule day weekend, when the east side blocks parties take place. he had already told me he was getting out of the business, because he couldn't compete with the local ace lowes, and seárs stores, that's why I'm all in favor of supporting local owned businesses, which are dieing off. 

I was just making a general synopsis of small engine shops prior to smoking bans. All of them around me were riddled with cig smoke and clutter. Didn't stop me from spending in them I just noticed the similarities.

Too bad for the guy that went under. Hard to compete with local big box stores.

• Like 1

oh i know, i was just explaining the situation here, lol, however i  sure wish he was still doing buiness, i hated when i drove up, and saw the place all burned out, i haven't seen the old fellah sence then, but he sure knew his way around a small engine. 

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Interesting thing is, around here the Ace Hardware and Sears are locally owned small businesses.

Lowes killed off the Ace down the road when I lived in NW Arkansas.  That SUCKED too, because Ace had a huge selection of fasteners that were cheap. 

• Like 1

sears here is now, but it's not a very dependable the store is limited on tools and equiptment , and i think it's already folded up shop, the local ace is tops, that's where i got the 039 back when i was much younger , my small engine guy Brian at ace is the one who , told me about the Dave's small engine shop. now .... it's all defrent but ace still holds the best reputation around here, one of my school buddies works there, along with our 8th grade math teacher, lol she's still a card. 

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

sears here is now, but it's not a very dependable the store is limited on tools and equiptment , and i think it's already folded up shop, the local ace is tops, that's where i got the 039 back when i was much younger , my small engine guy Brian at ace is the one who , told me about the Dave's small engine shop. now .... it's all defrent but ace still holds the best reputation around here, one of my school buddies works there, along with our 8th grade math teacher, lol she's still a card. 

Yeah the sears here is pretty much just appliances, tools, and lawn equipment now. 

Still nice to have for applicances and tools though.

Ace is owned by a guy I grew up with.  He's kind of a dick though.

I ordered a shop vac last week through the Ace website.  Craftsman shop vac, was 69.99 but if you joined Ace rewards (free) you got $30 off, so it was $39.99.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/wet-dry-vacuums/wetdry-vacuums/2560209

He ! about me ordering it through the website, said he doesn't get much of a cut that way. 

But if I'd just gone in to buy it at his store, he would charged me full price.

I try to shop local, but I'm not going to get bent over just so he can buy his wife another new Escalade.

• Like 2

Yeah the sears here is pretty much just appliances, tools, and lawn equipment now. 

Still nice to have for applicances and tools though.

Ace is owned by a guy I grew up with.  He's kind of a dick though.

yeah, Purdy much the same with the sears here, or was... i went in one day (the one and only time) just a hand full of tools mostly dryers washing machines etc not so much on lawn mowers, and just a few weed eaters ... the reason i never went back was because i kept getting bothered can i help you over, and over again, i would rather been respected enough to to go up, and ask for help, in sted of having it pushed on me... lol, and sure enough no small engine repare, but in all fairness , i went in just to get a feel for the place---- i sure didnt like what i was a witness to, now, at ace , you get asked one time, then your left alone to browse, (or have a friendly chat with an old friend) without someone standing over your shoulder, but the owner of the local ace has known my family for over 40 years, i just hope he keeps this in the family. 

I added the metal tree spikes and the 50 gauge bar to the new ms180 - noticeable improvement with the bar. 

Replaced the fuel line and filter on the 029 Super and it’s running good. The ms290 was already running good but I rarely use it - don’t need a 22” bar often lol. My dad bought that 029 in the mid 90s, don’t recall when he got the 290. But he was really proud of those saws. 

795C08AF-66DB-4E8C-9F5D-2D61A4EFDE62.jpeg

7BDA41FC-1304-4201-AFC4-C43262CB33E4.jpeg

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 3

Nice lineup. I got to cut come wood tonight but didn’t grab anything but my 290. I have a 20” bar and I think it’s at its limit. A 22” bar and tree felling spikes would be nice though. 
matter felling a couple trees tonight I can see how those oversized spikes would be nice. 

The 22” bar is the very max for the 290. I mentioned earlier that my dad would cut and sell wood. He used the 22” on the big stuff and took his time. The 029 super is roughly the same size power head as the 290 - the 18” bar is nice on it. 

But i I think I’m really going to enjoy the 180 for little stuff. It’s super light compared to the others and will handle the majority of my needs. 

Jeep, you might want to try a 50 gauge bar on your 180. Really much better than the .043 they come with. 

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 7:46 PM, slowindown said:

The 22” bar is the very max for the 290. I mentioned earlier that my dad would cut and sell wood. He used the 22” on the big stuff and took his time. The 029 super is roughly the same size power head as the 290 - the 18” bar is nice on it. 

But i I think I’m really going to enjoy the 180 for little stuff. It’s super light compared to the others and will handle the majority of my needs. 

Jeep, you might want to try a 50 gauge bar on your 180. Really much better than the .043 they come with. 

Have a link to the bar you're using? (or part number)?

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

Don't you have to swap out the sprocket to change the chain pitch?

Its the same pitch, 3/8. Just a little wider. Stock bar is .043. This one is .050, same as what I’m used to for a little saw. 

Have a look at some of the reviews on that link. It sure dug in better than the stock chain. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 10:31 AM, Bighanded said:

There are no echo dealers near me.   I would have to drive far (150 mile round trip) or mail order.

that's the same reason I couldn't go with a Stihl...long drive to get to a good dealer...but my local farmers exchange just 3 miles up the road..with people I like and trust...are Echo and service right there...so I gave Echo a try 2 years ago with a straight shaft brush cutter..good hard working unit...and that led me to trust the new chain saw purchase this year..and very happy with that so far.

i'm glad ya got a good Echo. when ya get a good one, they are great. having dealer support helps. i cant say the same about Echo dealer support here, though there were many.

we have a great Farmers exchange...local folks, like me, will always go to them before we try the big box stores.. Lowes, Home Depot, etc...much rather spend money with our local boys...I'm even good to wait a couple days for them to order stuff rather than go big box.

I've got two nice echo units in regular service right now..the chain saw and the brush cutter...I'm 2 full years into the brush cutter and have worked it hard for a non-commercial user..it has been flawless..

the new chain saw has enabled me to go a lot longer and get a lot more done than the lesser units...that's all I can ask of a tool.

speaking of tools...major flooding this past week from the Eta storm..have videos on trail cams of deer doing their best to keep their heads up as the current swept through the woods...crazy...water is back in the creek, tons of sand on the trails and plenty of mud..was out n about Sunday afternoon...and once again my ol blue 93 fourtrax did me proud...amazing old ATV.

The MS261 is the best all-around pro saw that I have ever owned. It weighs just over 13 lbs full of fuel mix & bar oil with 20" bar & full chisel chain and it pulls that chain with authority through big, hard maple. I have an 18" bar and chains for it too, but I never use them 'cause I like the extra reach (easy on my lower back) that the 20" provides. I don't ever bother toting along a limbing saw anymore... and I abuse the MS261 for brushing out ditch banks and trails too. It does everything exceptionally well. And sips fuel too.

• Like 6