jeepwm69

Ball joint installation

I've gotten pretty good and pressing ball joints into a-arms and knuckles by using old bearing races and my vice, but I've really wanted to find something that fit better on the ball joint without ruining the boot.

Went to Ace today to see if I could find something, and came across something that should be perfect.

I'm going to have to cut it in two, in order to use the big part on the bottom of the joint to push, and the smaller part to cover the head of the ball joint as it comes through the knuckle/ arm, but until now I haven't been able to find anything that was a perfect fit for these Honda 51375 ball joints.

Still, for $5, I have high hopes that it will work perfectly.  Perfect fit on both ends.

ball joint.JPG

ball joint 2.JPG

ball joint 3.JPG

• Like 5

I use a large socket, however I’ve messed up a boot a couple times.. that looks promising..

• Like 1

pressing them out is easy, spec if you are installing a new ball joint ?. the trick is...is getting the new ball joint back in !!..lol. i do not know why honda ( or any make for this matter ? ) makes the knuckles so tight ?. i normally take my dremel with a small grinding stone, grind down the bore just a tad, a dab of grease, they go right in with no hammering hard what so ever.

• Like 2

I did use this plumbing bit on some ball joints.  The larger end fits perfectly over the boot without damaging it, allowing the ball joint to be pressed up in the arm or knuckle without damaging anything. 

• Like 1

What do you guys use to push the joint back in without tearing the boot? Every socket I have rubs on the boot.. 

pushing them out is easy it’s getting them back in as you need to clear the boot. 

any advice? This is for a 04 Foreman. 

I’ve always used a 32mm (I think that’s the size) socket. It’s almost 60-40 if I damage the boot or not.. if I do, I pack it full of grease & call er good till next time haha

@jeepwm69 how did that work out?

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wheeler said:

I’ve always used a 32mm (I think that’s the size) socket. It’s almost 60-40 if I damage the boot or not.. if I do, I pack it full of grease & call we good till next time haha

32?? hmm wow. I tried a 36 and it rubbed the boot hard I even grinding the inside teeth down. Called it quits will leave the ball joint in the freezer overnight. Also need to get the upper joint as I realized that one is bone dry and toast. 

3 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

32?? hmm wow. I tried a 36 and it rubbed the boot hard I even grinding the inside teeth down. Called it quits will leave the ball joint in the freezer overnight. Also need to get the upper joint as I realized that one is bone dry and toast. 

yup ur rite... one in my tool chest is 36mm. That’s the one.. it’s hit or miss if u press it in without damage. 

I dug through my scrap pile until I found the correct size of pipe (even if it needed a little grinding). There are basically 2 different ball joints and they both require a different size to fit them perfectly. I use an air hammer to remove and install them.

20201212_152207.jpg

20201212_152230.jpg

20201212_152321.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/21/2020 at 7:49 PM, freebo86 said:

What do you guys use to push the joint back in without tearing the boot? Every socket I have rubs on the boot.. 

pushing them out is easy it’s getting them back in as you need to clear the boot. 

any advice? This is for a 04 Foreman. 

That plumbing bit I pictured above worked perfectly.  Fits over the boot but doesn't touch the boot.

• Like 2

fullsizeoutput_29f.jpeg

the pipe size for the smaller balljoints that   I use fits without any grinding , not sure where I got it from , but think it might be top page fence pipe  --  I have the larger ball joint sizes around somewhere 

inner diameter  36mm =1.42 in = 1 27/64 ( 1 7/16 ) 

outer diameter 42.35 = 1.66 in =1 43/64  ( 1 11/16)

fullsizeoutput_306.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_856.jpeg

IMG_0562.JPG

• Like 4

Great Idea! also, I like that c-clamp where do you find one like that?

I am going to try and make one out of pipe if I can find correct size..

The last ball joint I did- I froze the ball joint and heated the arm with torch it dropped right in and locked up tight when it cooled

I saw it on youtube or somewhere and it worked really well but was not sure if the heat would be bad or weaken the a-arm?

What are your thoughts on doing it that way?

PS dont get it started in the bore slightly cockeyed as it locks up tight in about 1/2 second when it cools and you get to knock it out and start over.....

2 hours ago, AKATV said:

Great Idea! also, I like that c-clamp where do you find one like that?

I am going to try and make one out of pipe if I can find correct size..

The last ball joint I did- I froze the ball joint and heated the arm with torch it dropped right in and locked up tight when it cooled

I saw it on youtube or somewhere and it worked really well but was not sure if the heat would be bad or weaken the a-arm?

What are your thoughts on doing it that way?

PS dont get it started in the bore slightly cockeyed as it locks up tight in about 1/2 second when it cools and you get to knock it out and start over.....

The C-Clamp is from the Harbor Freight set , there are no adaptors in the kit or the accessory kit they sell that will work   >>>>>> have never heated the a-arms or the  knuckles to install the ball joints  before , I would be afraid of changing the temper of the steel , but doubt it would not really have any ill effects  with just a little heat >>>  I use the Dremel with a sanding drum and do a quick , lite buffing of the bore and apply some grease to it and they slide in quick and easy using the clamp with an impact ----if you take the arm off the atv , the vise works fine 

• Like 1