sled_22

Everything chainsaws!

I figured we talk about all this a lot that we should have our own thread just for saws as well! 
here’s my current project. A Stihl ms310 new to me. It was a good deal and figured I could clean it up. Boy was it dirty under the covers. Got is soaking in some degreaser and I’ll clean it up tomorrow. 
also, see the picture of the chain below. Looks like some kind of safety chain. Is that correct? 

92015B3F-1AAA-4230-84F0-4FE0E90CA2E9.jpeg

543D436A-ED78-4DFA-9733-092C0A9B6D57.jpeg

278E6BD6-8356-4DB8-B237-8BAAE1A60BEB.jpeg

F424C6DF-C301-4E27-9163-768D90227326.jpeg

797F56E5-B216-4FD1-81AF-862CF2C90CD8.jpeg

A0DB7AF1-9845-4898-BC8C-207B250BDE8D.jpeg

266B22C9-A615-497C-9149-58061350BEEB.jpeg

11A07B96-9F7A-4563-8395-80462C00E313.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sled_22 said:

Looks like some kind of safety chain. Is that correct? 

Looks like it. Green for safety and yellow for full chisel is my understanding. Matched to the bar.

Green is no good for me but I wouldn't feel that way if I was cutting brush (or just light duty stuff)

Top end and carb rebuild are dead simple. Name brand parts will make your install very smooth in comparison. 

Have several saws that start within the first few pulls with cheap eBay carbs on them. 

If you are going cheap... a top end kit and carb can both be had for under $50

ANSI B175.1 Chain Saw Kickback Standard
STIHL’s green and yellow color code system serves to identify STIHL bars and chains with different kickback reduction characteristics. Green (go) marks those products which are designed to reduce the risk of kickback injury and comply with the ANSI B175.1 kickback standard. STIHL’s low-kickback chain features a green tie strap that identifies each loop as “low-kickback” chain that meets the ANSI standard. Recommended for both the experienced and inexperienced chainsaw user. Yellow (caution) marks products with increased risk of kickback injury. They are for use only by persons with extraordinary cutting needs and experience and specialized training in dealing with kickback conditions.

10 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Top end and carb rebuild are dead simple. Name brand parts will make your install very smooth in comparison. 

Have several saws that start within the first few pulls with cheap eBay carbs on them. 

If you are going cheap... a top end kit and carb can both be had for under $50

i don't think i'm going to replace anything yet. It ran decent I just can't stand all the grime packed in the engine. Heat dissipation and change for other crap related issues could arise. 

I'm just going to clean everything out really well and put it back together.

• Like 1

Yah multiple rakers is definitely a safety chain. You will be happier with a full chisel 

• Like 1

I own a MS250. I love it. I put a new chain on, & sure enough Thad to touch the ground again.. arghhh. Now I have to sharpen it. Takes 5-6 pulls to start. I think it should start faster but had it to dealer & they said it’s perfect. Saw is only two years old. Only used from spring to fall when camping/hunting. 

I've never heard of safety chain 🤔 Dont think i have ever seen any colours on chains.

I have this Huskaverna...something... got it last spring 😆

435.jpg

• Haha 1

its a low kickback chain, atc, that's what it is.... lol, no such thing as a safety chain on a chainsaw ... nether of my oem stihl semi, or full skip chisel chains came with a paint tie strap link, just marked on the box,  green on a stihl chain is low kick back, yellow is for a higher kick back danger,  full chisel chains from stihl do not have a painted tie strap links. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

Well I got my ms310 back together this morning and ran it through a pile of logs. She’s a runner. Here’s some reassembly and somewhat clean parts. Boy was she a dirty girl. New full chisel chain and she ate that red oak like nothing. 

7D07A4FC-D7CA-44A4-B1D9-4535E9446B39.jpeg

7794C0F8-935D-4428-9C4C-68F5A0279315.jpeg

86FEA6E2-2C78-4EA0-8351-0FB870A1F697.jpeg

6FE36442-26B0-45D7-BDED-9EF273B4F9EA.jpeg

961C034B-1F3E-437D-970B-B704BFD79CDF.jpeg

B898E6BA-C52B-4863-9AF6-4DB074A460FF.jpeg

BBEDE8C2-6578-4D45-8B83-D37451DBBA5D.jpeg

• Like 3

I’m starting to amass a collection of these things!!! Plus I have an 044 AV Hiding under the bench. 

C9CA71DE-AC0E-4F1A-A8C6-208D7DF35703.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here’s some pictures of my muffler mod. First couple are from my 290 fully opened up and my ms310 where I just joined the two exit ports into one. 

5799E3FD-0A76-40A2-884B-D12DD369478E.jpeg

94718CAA-74D5-46B6-A6D6-CE64AF1843AD.jpeg

17 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Here’s some pictures of my muffler mod. First couple are from my 290 fully opened up and my ms310 where I just joined the two exit ports into one. 

5799E3FD-0A76-40A2-884B-D12DD369478E.jpeg

94718CAA-74D5-46B6-A6D6-CE64AF1843AD.jpeg

That is a great mod for the 290. Please remove the limiters from the carb adjustment screws. The main jet needs more fuel than the limiter allows. Do it soon or it will wear it out plus there's more power with it adjusted richer too.

• Like 2

Fuel has been turned up. It would hardly idle when I reassembled. Took about 1 3/4 turns out without the limiters on the high side. 

• Like 3

been thinking about grabbing this deal of the day at hl supply. It'd make either my 290 or 310 a 390. Be nice to have on the shelf if I ever did blow one up. Not too bad for $40 imo. I have until tomorrow to decide, or wait for black friday to find a better deal?

https://www.hlsproparts.com/Stihl-039-MS390-cylinder-assembly-49mm-overhaul-p/h30390-dns.htm

• Like 2

Sled, that's a great price! Scroll down and have a look at the ring compressor kit for $11.00. I've done a few of these top ends and the ring compressor and rod holder would be nice. Is the cylinder plated? The description didn't mention that.

1 hour ago, Misterclean said:

Sled, that's a great price! Scroll down and have a look at the ring compressor kit for $11.00. I've done a few of these top ends and the ring compressor and rod holder would be nice. Is the cylinder plated? The description didn't mention that.

I think it's a warhawk? kit. From what i can find the cylinder wall is plated but that's referencing other forums of people that have done this.

Well  I got into some 24” white and green ash today. The ol ms290 got worked pretty hard with the 20” bar buried. Posted my 310 for sale and stopped at my ma and pop stihl shop.  
ordered a brand spanking new ms400c pro saw. Due to release in January and available for purchase in March. They said I’d get the first one they receive. 
66.7 cc. 5.4 hp. 25” stihl es light bar. Full chisel and semi skip chain. Magnesium piston. Weighs less than 13.5 lbs. m-tronic carb. 

can’t wait. It’s the new step between the ms362 and 462. 
https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-tools-A-great-range/Chainsaws/Petrol-chainsaws-for-forestry/2107810-131/MS-400-C-M.aspx

54C727B3-E45A-436E-9326-E9613B409065.jpeg

Edited by sled_22
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

Full chisel and semi skip chain.

choose the full skip chisel! and i see no mention (YET) of the fiskars x27, but i see a mintcraft maul in the pic. looks like you going good with the wood supply. 

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

choose the full skip chisel! and i see no mention (YET) of the fiskars x27, but i see a mintcraft maul in the pic. looks like you going good with the wood supply. 

I was thinking I’d have enough power to turn a semi skip but you think full skip for big hardwoods? 
fiskars is on the Christmas list so I’m holding out.  

• Like 1

I'm sure you do have enough power, but for hardwoods, just depends on the cutting pressure you forse on the saw, i just lay mine down, on failed trees, and just enough pressure to control the saw in case of kick back, but i have both types semi skips, and full, takes less time to hand file a full skip, and I'm all about saving time, lol try both, and be sure to let me know which you like, i also have one specail order from stihl, I'll post pics , soon. 

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I'm sure you do have enough power, but for hardwoods, just depends on the cutting pressure you forse on the saw, i just lay mine down, on failed trees, and just enough pressure to control the saw in case of kick back, but i have both types semi skips, and full, takes less time to hand file a full skip, and I'm all about saving time, lol try both, and be sure to let me know which you like, i also have one specail order from stihl, I'll post pics , soon. 

Remember I can sharpen a 20” full chisel in about 7 minutes with this sucker. Not worried about sharpening time anymore 🙂 

A77DCE92-4269-411F-A2A0-0AC989A0213A.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, sled_22 said:

Not worried about sharpening time anymore 🙂 

I also bit the bullet a while back and paid $40 bucks (or whatever it was) for the Stihl sharpener.

Like most things it takes a little getting used to and I would rather just bring extra sharp chains with me for a large project but...
If you need to quickly sharpen (and have never been very good with a regular file) this tool makes everything very easy and fast.

The machine sharpener doing a batch of chains at once is still my favorite method. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

Remember I can sharpen a 20” full chisel in about 7 minutes with this sucker. Not worried about sharpening time anymore 🙂 

A77DCE92-4269-411F-A2A0-0AC989A0213A.jpeg

yeah i recall when you hit the 2 in 1 , lol best sharpener out there,  far better then a machine  well worth the money! bet your good with free style hand filing ? i still use that method ... at  times when the  gauges don't need a touch up. 

15 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yeah i recall when you hit the 2 in 1 , lol best sharpener out there,  far better then a machine  well worth the money! bet your good with free style hand filing ? i still use that method ... at  times when the  gauges don't need a touch up. 

I’m not too bad at hand filing. I kind of feel like the 2-1 is a little aggressive with the rakers so I’ll hit them with a hand file from time to time. Also I hand file with 7/32 whereas stihl recommends a 13/64 with the 3/8 chain. The little smaller diameter really works good when hand filing to bring an edge back around and get the “cup” or “c” perfect in the tooth. 

Edited by sled_22
  • Like 1

your right it is just a tad, but you change the tilt angle slightly, the right way is to hold the file completely level, which isn't easy to do, that's why i tend to use it, but not as much as a single hand file method, but i still can't brag enough on the 2 in 1 i don't use a vise when i sharpen mine, just hold the bar with the left hand and file with the right so far it's worked great. 

• Like 1

image.png

Here's the release sheet for the saw i found today. (posting here so I can find it again)

• Like 3