sled_22

Everything chainsaws!

21 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yeah, it's about time ... lol .... from your other post, I'd say that's a nice good supply of wood, now on to wrenching! 

I worked on it last night for a while. This saw has a lot of potential so I'm being pretty meticulous with cleaning. It is evident that 97% of people that use chainsaws never clean them. I spent an hour and half just cleaning dust and pitch out of the flywheel cover. Every hole was reduced in size by about %25 from never being cleaned. That's quite a bit of restriction when you think about the cooling the flywheel needs to do. I forgot to take pictures but maybe this afternoon if i get some time in the garage. But the carb is rebuilt, fuel & impulse lines ready. starter respooled, Its just a matter of cleaning the saw, get the carbon out of the exhaust and get it back together.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

hey jeep, looks like your boss is saying your not done yet,:-). 

Ha, the one gesturing is now 17, and if you think she was bossy then, you should see her now.

• Haha 2

Another score today. $60. Total. Wilson you can have you pick on 031s lol. 

28D39C8D-B7F1-4B70-8809-776CF90BB38B.jpeg

• Like 3

This also happened to come home with me today. Lots of sold saws and saving for this bad boy. Hopefully she last 20 years. 

E91B36F8-EE7B-45EE-86EB-9F448A09DA86.jpeg

Edited by sled_22
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

This also happened to come home with me today. Lots of sold saws and saving for this bad boy. Hopefully she last 20 years. 

E91B36F8-EE7B-45EE-86EB-9F448A09DA86.jpeg

I like me a new Stihl!! I've only bought two new Stihls in my life.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Another score today. $60. Total. Wilson you can have you pick on 031s lol.

uh hu... i like how you bait people, lol. 

2 hours ago, Misterclean said:

like me a new Stihl!! I've only bought two new Stihls in my life.

yeah..... they last a long long LONG time.

First 031 back together. Of course no spark. Might be a coil, plug, wires? Idk. Tackle it tomorrow, or this morning? 

905EDCCB-829E-478A-A9ED-F402737B1039.jpeg

B5AFCEB2-AD5F-4983-B7A0-FCF6240617C4.jpeg

6C991233-C7B1-4CEA-A5E6-A6B58239D9FF.jpeg

F5894612-7BE9-43A0-8839-78D183BB2146.jpeg

• Like 3

Hey Sled, try the rotary part # 31-8786 for ignition problems on those old saws. It replaces points on breaker ignitions and it replaced the external capacitor on that type as well. It also makes many solid state modules spark again if the internal capacitor is bad. Just wire it inline on the kill wire. It's been many many years since I've even held one in my hands so  hope the info is correct. It is still available.

• Thanks 1

That 462 is like a professional series correct? I’m happy with my MS250 & 18”bar. Can’t imagine that beast. 

• Like 2

Here’s a fun video in some of the ash I cut up today. First tank of fuel in the new 462. It was almost empty of fuel on this cut. You can hear it ask for more after the vertical cut. Enjoy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wheeler said:

That 462 is like a professional series correct? I’m happy with my MS250 & 18”bar. Can’t imagine that beast. 

Yes it’s a pro series. 28” light bar. Man it’s almost fun cutting wood. 225B8241-CC91-41FF-8524-41C0EFB10F14.jpeg

• Like 5

that's monster! and sure looks fun, you got this on a trial run, or purchased it out right ? she's big looks like plenty on weight (down force) i dont about de limbing with that bad boy. unless the tree was on the ground and the trunk was big enough to walk down while sawing the upper limbs off. 

I bought it. It’s quite impressive. It’s actually lighter than my 290. So it feels quite nimble to me even with the 28” bar. I like the reach. I’ll eventually get one of those light to handle Homelites suped up for limbing if this is too cumbersome. Or use my 20” bar on this. 

• Like 2

On 12/22/2020 at 2:13 PM, 01RUBY500 said:

That premix stuff around here is $20 a gallon...oh heck no I'm not paying that much for gas.  I buy ethanol free gas for $2.69 a gallon and mix it with Amsoil Saber 2 cycle oil at 100:1 with awesome results.  And my spark plugs last for years.

100:1 is something i'm not familiar with using. is it the Amsoil brand?

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

I used to use opti2. Full synthetic that mixed out at about 70:1. The company actually said to mix at 100:1 but I always used the 2.5 gallon pouch with 2 gallons of gas for 70:1. I haven’t had a problem in 7 plus years using it in weed eaters, saws, ice augers, tillers. Everything 2 stoke. 
I only recently switched to stihl ultra mix because I got an extended warranty buying a 6 pack. I’m sure I won’t have any issues with this either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LedFTed said:

Yes. 
image.png

04ADF0A6-A1F2-4A41-A33A-0213028A035C.jpeg

I use synthetic red oli mixed at 32:1 with non-ethanol premium in my saw. Work saws need good oil and lots of it for long life IMO.

2 hours ago, sled_22 said:

I only recently switched to stihl ultra mix because I got an extended warranty buying a 6 pack. I’m sure I won’t have any issues with this either. 

ive been using that for years, in every 2 cycle i have, two weed eaters (stilh fs-250r , echo curved shaft  a troy tiller, weedeater brand featherlite leaf blower and hedge trimmer,  039 stihl, plus a few more. but you still have me thinking about opti2, not a single issue in over 30 plus years with the stilh, and the rest plus 10 years .. no issue. 

I saw one of these containers on a youtube video last night. Where have these been all my life? i literally haul a 2 gal fuel can, gallon of bar oil and a tool box with me every time i cut wood. This would turn three things into one... Great idea, i wish it was about 35-40$ though instead of $65.

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-Combi-Oil-Fuel-42-01/dp/B00T031DAE/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=oil+and+fuel+can&qid=1612888313&rnid=2941120011&s=automotive&sr=1-1

i had thought about swopping over, figured I'd get the test of  life out of the one gal blitz gas jug ... this is the one  (pic) i had my mind set on, just never did pull the trigger. but ...i don't use the chainsaw all that often, lords knows, not as much as you, so i figure better for my use to keep one for mixed gas, and one for bar oil, but this one did catch my eye, i wander if it suffers from sun fade, that's another reason i passed, plus the price! 

image.jpg