sled_22

Everything chainsaws!

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i had thought about swopping over, figured I'd get the test of  life out of the one gal blitz gas jug ... this is the one  (pic) i had my mind set on, just never did pull the trigger. but ...i don't use the chainsaw all that often, lords knows, not as much as you, so i figure better for my use to keep one for mixed gas, and one for bar oil, but this one did catch my eye, i wander if it suffers from sun fade, that's another reason i passed, plus the price! 

image.jpg

By looking at the price I see they are quite proud of their gas can.  Seems to me it would be cumbersome to use.

• Like 1

no more then this one, but like i said i never did pull the trigger, lol, anything with stihl on it cost a tad higher, just like like paying for johndeere green, caterpillar,   or honda, you get what you pay for, besides if i did, i wouldn't keep the bar oil side completely topped off, that's why i like the small one gal blitz jug, i keep it topped off. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

That looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist to me.  Looks extremely cumbersome to use.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

That looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist to me.  Looks extremely cumbersome to use.

Yeah that's probably why I haven't ordered one yet. Plus I bring way more tools than that would hold along with keeping extra chains in my tool box.

• Like 1

Well I got another saw yesterday... and actually sold my Homelite super xl. This time up is an stihl ms290. $100. Dirty as all gitup. Looks like it sloshed around in a manure spreader without the stink. Story is it ran out of gas and never got restarted. From a farmer who bought it new. Went and bought a new saw when it would not start. 
Well after digging into it it has a new bar, chain, clutch drum/sprocket, needle bearing, fuel impulse and intake boot, and air filter. Guts look clean as a whistle. I need to keep digging to see if there’s an oil leak somewhere or if it’s just that poorly taken care of. Looks like the oil cap was leaking for sure. Stay tuned fellow chip chuckers. 

E1A334F3-ECE2-4CD1-A324-7DBD991B1810.jpeg

08E0E3F3-5F88-4763-B892-2BF99625B2C3.jpeg

CAAF9B10-B75A-4EBB-AF53-2C1DAF7B4D86.jpeg

13F420AB-6210-4FCA-967F-CA752AB57D02.jpeg

C50871CD-15C8-450C-BA23-C0069B0E2DB9.jpeg

4125D8E1-5876-43FB-AFDF-3C1F1066DC75.jpeg

AB75D37E-0497-45A0-A2B4-1C2FFF0B9F3E.jpeg

61736ED0-DAFF-45DF-B37E-AE49D2EB81F0.jpeg

0AC1928A-42A4-4179-8ED8-90E37DF11FF3.jpeg

4F0F7289-661A-42C5-9919-CA871267CA52.jpeg

• Like 4

wow! your right that ones sure enough dirty, i read in chat, there's firing issue ? but has a good spark ? keep us updated, glad she's in better hands now, ashamed to treat a fine saw like stihl with that little respect! 

41 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

wow! your right that ones sure enough dirty, i read in chat, there's firing issue ? but has a good spark ? keep us updated, glad she's in better hands now, ashamed to treat a fine saw like stihl with that little respect! 

I'm not sure what's wrong with this saw yet. I'm going to go through everything, clean the carb, break out loose carbon in the exhaust, clean everything to prevent heat soak and then try my luck starting it. It has good compression so i'm not too worried.

The no fire is still that 031 AV. I have spark via the spark tester and can see some on the plug. It's there, not a lightning bolt, but there. I have a wet plug when pulling it over a bunch too. compression is good. So i'm not sure why it won't even fire as i have the 3 basics. Something must be grounding or week ignition coil. checked flywheel for timing, checked coil. On my parts list is a spark plug and maybe an ignition module if i can find one. I might have to convert it to the 031 points system as I heard those do indeed throw lightning bolts when set up correctly.... but then i'd need a different crank. so i'm trying to avoid that. the 031 is on the shelf for now because I'm sick of looking at it. She needed a time-out for being naughty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i think now your the chainsaw guy here, been very impressed ... with this thread, also read the arbor site is slowly coming back (thumbs up) but i bet they've stepped on a few toes, over that mishap. 

• Thanks 1

I have a parts washer all lined up to pick up from my cousin's. It was my great uncles and he just gave it to them and it's basically in their way in their shop. I think I might go get that this weekend because this saw would benefit from that greatly.

• Like 1

good deal, i think your right, i would have thought you had a parts washer already, with all the saws you work on. never hurts to have a good fortified shop. say, you got a new bar chain sprocket, and needle bearing with this newest to you saw, i didn't cat h how much the price was. 

3 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

good deal, i think your right, i would have thought you had a parts washer already, with all the saws you work on. never hurts to have a good fortified shop. say, you got a new bar chain sprocket, and needle bearing with this newest to you saw, i didn't cat h how much the price was. 

I paid $100 the saw not knowing it had so many new parts on it. The parts alone are worth $60-80. If I can get this saw looking good and running good, I'd list it for sale for $300 in my area.

• Like 3

oh, good score! so you do plan on selling it after the repair ? it should make  someone a good saw, just hope they treat it better then PO did. you might list it here in the forums, too, yes I'm still looking, lol, just not in any big hurry. 

The MS290 is actually a pretty decent saw. A little heavy for the power it has but it cut over 15 cord of firewood for me over the last 3 years and who knows how many since my grandpa bought it new in 2003. This is my 290 and my son and fourwheeler back when we had snow in Feb. This saw will be passed down to my kids or grandkids someday. This would be a much better saw than the 031AV (especially the 031 i can't get to run.)

IMG_8739.JPG

Edited by sled_22
  • Like 5

I went to my local chainsaw hoarder today for funnsies since I received a bonus from work and wanted to treat myself. Found a 1997 jonsered 2095 turbo. 93? Cc. Tank of a big saw. Picked that up and a case of snap on 1/2” drive impact sockets mm. Paid $200. Think I did pretty good. The saw runs but needs a couple parts. I think I got a good deal. 

C7DF0687-FF5A-439D-88C4-6A1B7861F369.jpeg

142297C7-D047-4DB9-A080-14DE6D9FFF02.jpeg

E88B7181-3E3B-45B2-8181-143DD5BDA8F0.jpeg

12691325-444B-4142-9D98-06A9AB2C4666.jpeg

• Like 5

Oh my, that is a smokin' deal ya got sled!!!

39 minutes ago, slowindown said:

Turbo? Is that marketing language or does it have one?

Marketing. It has an air induction to the air filter from the flywheel. Forced air from the flywheel is feed to the intake. Not really a turbo but similar outcome...ish. 

• Like 1

Picked up a parts washer today too. This was my great uncles. I’ll put it back into service. Now, what solvent should I put in there so I can use it on some plastics without fading. Purple power, mineral spirits, varasol, simple green. So much to choose from. 

9378EEC0-19ED-4ABF-A146-A3EB5FAEA58F.jpeg

Edited by sled_22
  • Like 1

that's just like the one at Johnny's cycle shop, or one of them, are you going be cleaning chains that cut ever green trees ? (sap) like pine ? i read on the arborist forums lots of guys like purple power, diesel, k-1, mineral spirits, kerosene,  but over all purple power was picked more often. 

Probably more so the saws themselves. So I want it safe for magnesium plastic covers and old paint. 
to go from this before and after without using a seal pick and 40 shop towels. This is that new2me ms290. 

EBC25817-FE40-40A6-A1B6-AF7D6BABCB52.jpeg

149ADBDD-B4C1-4B9C-AD35-ADE47FA5C20C.jpeg

• Like 2

This is what I decided on since I’m not into engines too often and for the $30 I spent, worst case the garage just smells better. I’m gonna make sure none of these leave a residue before dumping them in. Otherwise I’ll just dilute the simple green. 

FE0DB212-2F0D-4462-AEB2-6B4D76218FAB.jpeg

• Like 1

simple green was also mentioned in the arbor site, i never used a parts washer, just a small metal can and gas, only little Johnny used the parts cleaner after boring Harley jugs, rest of the time we used old gas and a brush, to clean nasty greasy parts, (old soured gas at that) wheel cylinders, c-v joints etc. he old called it working the old school way, but i had been doing that for years working on equipment especially on parts covered in caked on gear oil and hydraulic and engine parts. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 2:17 PM, sled_22 said:

I got my super xl running today. God what a sweet saw. Love these vintage saws for messing around with. enjoy the video! 

Good saw.  Why no dogs?

Lot's of Stihl love here. Anyone run a 090?

Mine are: Pioneer Farmsaw (p41-66cc) 24" bar

Husqvarna 2100XP has a 24"bar on it now.  Usually run a 32"

Edited by Macarena Man
  • Like 1