sled_22

Everything chainsaws!

Have a Forester bar on my 2 Stihl saws.  Got a 16" on my old 031 and a 20" on my 360.  Have alot of hours especially on the 16" and so far I can't complain.  My guy who works on saws is the one who recommended them.  Honestly he may have made Forester chains for me too but never asked.  The chains don't have big lettering on them like the bars....lol

Got my Forester bar yesterday, along with an extra chain.  Definitely looks like it will do better, but might be a few days before I can get out to use it.

On 4/25/2021 at 12:29 AM, LedFTed said:

the add points to an orange label, the number is the same. i got two.. for 27.50 apiece , the number matches. so i think i'm OK.. it didnt go in to any great detail how to mix, so i am at a loss for that.. i'm inclined to add a bit x-tra. i been mixing 50-1, i can adjust.. since i been mixing 25 to one, by accident.. i know i can make the adjustment.

32:1 = 4 ounces oil per gallon of non-ethanol gas.

• Like 1

Yup, mixing oil is simple math. 128 oz per gallon so take 128 divided by mix ratio.

50:1 = 128/50 = 2.56oz oil per gal.

45:1 = 128/45 = 2.8oz oil per gal.

40:1 = 128/40 = 3.2oz oil per gal.

32:1 = 128/32 = 4oz per gal as retro stated

That ( i would assume) is why many older saws and boat motors were 32:1. Because it's a straight up 4oz per gal. Easy to remember & mix.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Yup, mixing oil is simple math. 128 oz per gallon so take 128 divided by mix ratio.

50:1 = 128/50 = 2.56oz oil per gal.

45:1 = 128/45 = 2.8oz oil per gal.

40:1 = 128/40 = 3.2oz oil per gal.

32:1 = 128/32 = 4oz per gal as retro stated

That ( i would assume) is why many older saws and boat motors were 32:1. Because it's a straight up 4oz per gal. Easy to remember & mix.

Better cooling systems, better metallurgy, better machining and better oil is why less oil is needed.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2021 at 11:06 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Took the MS180 out to cut a bunch of saplings this weekend, widening out the trails on the farm.  It does a great job on small stuff.  I think I might ditch the "tooless chain tightener" and get a regular side cover with nuts to hold the bar in place.  Not a big fan of this "easy" crap they put on the homeowner saws.

My new Forester bar and chain will be here today.  Be interesting to see how they work on this saw.

Are you referring to the Oregon bar that adjusts with the bar itself.  If so you may be able to get an adjuster that'll fit the side cover that you have now.

Not too long ago there were two saws and two trimmers at the end of a driveway that said free.  I picked up the saws because they looked to be in good condition.  One was a Poulan 3816 and the other was a Homelite XL Little Red.  Cheap saws but what the heck because they were free.  I put new fuel lines on the Poulan to get it going and it's running pretty good but still needs the carb tweaked some.  It has the adjuster in the bar and when I tried it out it threw the chain twice.  I got to looking at the clutch cover and I believe I can just buy the adjusting screw with the other parts to make it work.  If I get it working well I'll use it for my grubbing saw so I won't mess up my good ones.  The Homelite would run but not for long.  Probably the fuel lines on that one too.  I would have got the trimmers too but couldn't get them in my car trunk and they were gone when I passed back through.  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 11:06 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Took the MS180 out to cut a bunch of saplings this weekend, widening out the trails on the farm.  It does a great job on small stuff.  I think I might ditch the "tooless chain tightener" and get a regular side cover with nuts to hold the bar in place.  Not a big fan of this "easy" crap they put on the homeowner saws.

My new Forester bar and chain will be here today.  Be interesting to see how they work on this saw.

Accidental double post.  Deleted

Edited by RubiDan
double post

Just now, Misterclean said:

Better cooling systems, better metallurgy, better machining and better oil is why less oil is needed.

Right, all those factors along with EPA pushed it to a lower mix ratio, but why not 33:1 or 30:1. I meant the precise 32:1 increment.

4 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Right, all those factors along with EPA pushed it to a lower mix ratio, but why not 33:1 or 30:1. I meant the precise 32:1 increment.

bought a 5.5 Evinrude, from a guy, he only put 30 wt. in the gas. it smoked a bit but ran. i decided to use modern 2 cycle oil. that engine blew up. the bottom of the piston rod cap split in half. it was a quart of 30w to 6 gallons of gas.. he told me to use. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

bought a 5.5 Evinrude, from a guy, he only put 30 wt. in the gas. it smoked a bit but ran. i decided to use modern 2 cycle oil. that engine blew up. the bottom of the piston rod cap split in half. it was a quart of 30w to 6 gallons of gas.. he told me to use. 

We have a 1964 5.5 evinrude. We run modern 2 stroke oil with no issues. I think the one before 64 required a higher percentage of oil though. 

18 hours ago, RubiDan said:

Are you referring to the Oregon bar that adjusts with the bar itself.  If so you may be able to get an adjuster that'll fit the side cover that you have now.

No, it's a factory defect.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-5eiQEpoW_A?modestbranding=1&rel=0&showinfo=0

The regular MS180 has two nuts like a normal chainsaw.  This one was an MS180C with "easy start" aka the rope breaks if you pull on it hard, and this crappy "quick chain adjuster"

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/ms180/

• Like 2

nuttin fancy like you big boys...fortunately I've not had reason to pull the big chain saw out yet this spring... i'm sure coming summer storms will drop some stuff, but for now, this past weekend was just limb saw work..had gotten tired of the poor performance of my 4 stroke "Craftsman" weedeater with it's limb saw after a couple years. when I have time and want to get work done, I don't want to spend it messing with the tool.

so I ran to the farmers exchange and upgrade a bit to the Echo PAS system.  it's a small unit I know, but I was wanting something lighter for the weed eating anyway and figured I'd give their limb saw a try.

you have to go slow, but it does get the job done. I think I cut somewhere between 60 and 80 branches, and fell about 30 sapplings (4" and less)

unit ran strong...made it easy..it was picking up all that cut that was the work (grin).

• Like 3

On 4/28/2021 at 10:33 AM, jeepwm69 said:

No, it's a factory defect.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-5eiQEpoW_A?modestbranding=1&rel=0&showinfo=0

The regular MS180 has two nuts like a normal chainsaw.  This one was an MS180C with "easy start" aka the rope breaks if you pull on it hard, and this crappy "quick chain adjuster"

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/ms180/

Here's a link to the Intenz bar like I have.  If you ever come across one run away.  I'm going to go ahead and buy the adjuster screw and I still won't have much money in it.  I'm sure glad that my other saws are a lot better than the Poulan.

IntenzBarsF_B0601.pdf (oregonproducts.com)

• Like 1

Here's a cool saw i picked up a couple weeks Jonsereds 50. Before they were bought by electrolux and changed to jonsered (no "S") sadly i haven't touched it since i brought it home.

IMG_9375.JPG

IMG_9376.JPG

• Like 5

And here's another cool saw i picked up a few weeks ago as well. Homelite Super XL 925. It has an automatic oiler and a thumb pump manual override. 82cc of thunderous torque. I had to source a bar and chain for it. Ended up with a 30" homelite bar. Fairly uncommon length but it came with a rocked out chain. So I took some time to square tooth hand file the chain. Took a few days of here and there hand filing. It sure cuts fast when you lean on the saw but doesn't self feed very well. I need to knock the rakers down a little more.  I'll have to get you all a video of this saw in action. The sound and demeanor of this thing puts it in a whole other class imo.

This saw was burned up with the rings seized when I bought it. I was able to save the original piston and cylinder. I had to get some NOS rings for it though but they were pretty cheap. Lots of 600 grit polishing to bring it back to life.

IMG_9397.JPG

IMG_9399.JPG

IMG_9401.JPG

IMG_9403.JPG

IMG_9423.JPG

IMG_9383.JPG

Edited by sled_22
  • Like 3

I'll second that , I think I already called him the chainsaw Guru !  

• Like 1

Looks like some one was cutting tires with that one or using burnt motor oil as chain oil 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Looks like some one was cutting tires with that one or using burnt motor oil as chain oil 

Yup. I got two of them from the same owner. He used the same oil in both. Price was right though. 

Here’s the guts to that saw. She’s a dirty girl. Bottom end was a little crispy but crank still good!!! 
also. This is what happens when the muffler bolts are stripped. Sacrificed the muffler but didn’t hurt the cylinder at all. Cylinder looks brand new as it should. There was no shortage of lube anywhere on this saw. 

52B6135B-584A-4B64-A86E-8F9841B550FA.jpeg

A7C1B06F-2574-4368-AC38-ADBE2DB004B2.jpeg

62BDE170-C3B8-4949-8B8E-4664D1F12A5C.jpeg

63820D5C-2365-41F1-8B36-090E4788B2A2.jpeg

D2CFEB4E-0C4E-46C6-947B-63845A81606D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, 01RUBY500 said:

Are you going to try and fix it?  It would be in my trash can LOL! 

The saw I just rebuilt brought over $600 and looked similar to this inside. And they are really nice saws to run. 

• Like 3

On 6/26/2021 at 7:51 PM, sled_22 said:

The saw I just rebuilt brought over $600 and looked similar to this inside. And they are really nice saws to run. 

Did it sell on Arboristsite??