sled_22

Everything chainsaws!

dropped about 40 small pines (30footers)  couple weeks ago..reclaiming an old area of garden so that next spring I'll be able to plant more.

I had let that area go years back..still has fencing and 2 arbors for beans, etc. (about 80-60ft area).  pines grew up in front of it like crazy fast.. nothing big diameter..leg size..so easy to drop em the way I wanted them to fall and cut em up..gonna be a full burn pile.

my Echo was just getting warmed up about the time I was getting heat stroked (LOL).

• Like 1

Pricey little devil !!! 

BRAND NEW ORIGINAL STIHL MS500i FUEL INJECTED CHAINSAW + 28" BAR AND CHAIN!

Condition:
NewNew

Price:
US $2,199.00
  • Sad 1

ouch...but yeah, I guess if folks do some serious cutting, the good tools are worth the $.  Can't tell you how happy I was to upgrade a couple years back...had been getting cheaper units (Poulan pros) etc from Lowes

I likely would have gotten a Stihl but we didn't have any local dealers in town for service etc...and my favorite Famers Exchange shop is an Echo dealer and service center... Ford vs Chevy thing anyway...and I've been happy with mine..and they make their own chains..good stuff..and sharpen my old ones for $4...

but most important...it's old school mindset/service..not big box franchise ignorant and ignore you employees...our locals are just great..happy to spend my money with them.

• Like 1

I've seen those EFI Stihls.  The look sweet, but I'd hate to have to work on one. 

Old saws are pretty simple.  I doubt that mS500i is.

But in another few years, we'll all have to learn because that will be what all the new saws are.

• Like 1

One of the most important things about a saw, unless you're handy mechanically with them, is dealer support. I have a friend that owns a generational Stihl dealer so I get parts and saws from them, never had an issue and they cut me good cash only deals.

Here's the last tree I cut up for my neighbor. Tested a really aggressive chain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I've seen those EFI Stihls.  The look sweet, but I'd hate to have to work on one. 

Old saws are pretty simple.  I doubt that mS500i is.

But in another few years, we'll all have to learn because that will be what all the new saws are.

No different than new quads.

The 500i is a pretty sweet machine. Especially one that's been ported. I haven't taken the hood off one though.

Both my newer saws are autotuning and adjust jetting via a solenoid on the carb. Not too much extra as compared to a manual tuned saw. But they do record data now such as error codes, run time, and # of starts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

No different than new quads.

The 500i is a pretty sweet machine. Especially one that's been ported. I haven't taken the hood off one though.

Both my newer saws are autotuning and adjust jetting via a solenoid on the carb. Not too much extra as compared to a manual tuned saw. But they do record data now such as error codes, run time, and # of starts.

I've slowly learned to get around the EFI Honda ATV's.  I still don't like how much more complicated they are, but they do work well when everything is functioning properly.

I imagine the same is true of the EFI saw.

For me, I have an old beater MS180 that someone gave me (ran with the brake on, melted crankcase, which I replaced with Farmertec parts), a 346XP, a 372XP, and Dad still has a NIB Husky 2100 he bought in the early 80's that is still in the box.

I figure those will outlast me as they are mainly used for cleaning up roads on the farm, so no need to delve into EFI saws and have to learn something new.

I have a jonny 2165, I had a seal seat with a crack in it. When I pryed, a big chunk came out. I epoxied the seal seat and tested with a seal. Looked pretty nice. Also ported the top end. Almost have enough wood made for half of next winter. 

B18A47F0-9742-4B9C-ADDB-C2BC90662092.jpeg

1342AA5F-C614-441D-BC82-082DAB303623.jpeg

89AA2AB9-DF13-4DE4-801B-9BADDCD4DE4A.jpeg

2803AB6D-41C9-4629-BEFD-4F87334F8F82.jpeg

5C90F561-A47C-4094-8C3D-E04928D52B82.jpeg

B0CC10EA-C122-484E-A07B-F2A8F57B3081.jpeg

F7C78762-3172-4DEA-975F-4631CD5C8935.jpeg

21162C9B-CC72-46F1-9505-3FDFDECA1404.jpeg

E6F57C28-0199-44DE-8BBF-1C043C782317.jpeg

• Like 2

Those old Husky's are good old machines, taken care of they will cut wood for many years.  Looks like this one has another life, good for you Sled.....

Skipped a few pages but I haven't seen any love for the Shindawas. My dad had a small shindawa before someone needed it more than him and took it out of his truck. That thing would start 2nd pull no matter how long it laid up. Loved that thing. I'll probably get him another one one year. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SailRedemption said:

Skipped a few pages but I haven't seen any love for the Shindawas. My dad had a small shindawa before someone needed it more than him and took it out of his truck. That thing would start 2nd pull no matter how long it laid up. Loved that thing. I'll probably get him another one one year. 

They are good machines. I almost became a dealer for them back in 1984ish? Many parts were interchangeable between different models. I ended up buying a T20 trimmer. It still runs good today! 38.5 years!

• Like 1

I was a service manager of a equipment rental , we had Shindaiwa in our fleet , they were very good , I use to called them Japanese Stihl --- I am a Husqvarna guy now days  

• Like 1

I agree..... For  the hand full of times i used a shindaiwa saw  i was never disappointed except for the reason they just wernt very popular down my way ...... I don't even think we had a dealer here back then.....  And... Stihl has just about always held title of the best here.... I would like to have that good ol saw to sdd my collection of firewood equiptment.... 

• Like 1