sled_22

Everything chainsaws!

031 AV update! 
it RUNS!!!! 
so I removed the ignition module (1 of 3 I have) and replaced it with an aftermarket ignition module that was recommended many pages ago. After dealing with it being flooded she finally fired off. Ran and idled. 
problem is it’s running goofy. Almost like it has an air leak but it’s also puking mix back out the carb. I have more investigation to do but didn’t have a lot of time to monkey with it this weekend. 
It has a carb kit, fuel lines and impulse in it so I’m not sure on what else right now. 

4EE8D3A3-63E2-4447-8311-9EC75C785E4F.jpeg

• Like 1

Broken piston skirt on the Intake side? Or a leaky crankshaft seal?

3 minutes ago, retro said:

Broken piston skirt on the Intake side? Or a leaky crankshaft seal?

Yeah I think the crank seals might be the culprit. Not sure though. It’s was probably super flooded from all the cranking I’ve done while weeding through the ignition problems. 
so I kind of want to bar it up and try to put it through some wood to see if cleans up. If she cooks the piston well I have two more to put in it while crank seals are replaced. 

• Like 1

Dad and I took down a 30-40 foot dead oak in my sister's front yard Saturday.  It died 2-3 years ago and was down to a dead snag that was getting pretty rotten. 

Hooked my Jeep winch to it and pulled it over, then took the Jeep back to my house to get my 4wheeler trailer to load the wood on and by the time I got back Dad had pretty much cut it all up with my 346.  He said "Man I wish I'd bought the other one they had when you bought this one!"

I took the kid out on the farm yesterday and took the MS180 to run it a bit widening out some of the trails.  It does a great job on small saplings and stuff.  I've ordered a new wider bar and chain for it, so will be interested to see how it does then.

I tried to make one cut on that oak with it while dad was cutting elsewhere Saturday, and the 346 would run circles around that MS180, but that's comparing apples to watermelons.  More CC's, pro grade vs homeowner.

• Like 1

I went too many years with cheap chinese made tools via Home Depot/Lowes...having stepped up a few notches to the top end lines of Echo, I basically just say I wish i had done it long ago, and my only regret now is that these tools can go harder and longer than this old man....

did a ton of spring cleaning this past Saturday...man was I sore!   but couple of Alieve and a slower Sunday and I'm ready to go out and play some more...love having decent tools!

On 4/18/2021 at 4:46 PM, LedFTed said:

so am i looking for the one with the purple label? 🙂

nevermind i reread the 1st post, the second post pointed to a orange label.

4 hours ago, LedFTed said:

nevermind i reread the 1st post, the second post pointed to a orange label.

i also read the number

my neighbor got a chainsaw stuck, his son was there. anywho, the saw got stuck while cutting a tree.. he was gonna use his tractor front bucket too push on the tree to free up the saw. he asked me if i would pull the saw out. his son wouldn't and it didnt take me long to decline neither. i dont think i could ever run fast enough to get out of the way if things got bad...---...

i never did find out what happened to the chain, or the bar. but him and his son were still kicking many years after.

is it OK to tell a story here? ya know i can get carried away..

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LedFTed said:

my neighbor got a chainsaw stuck, his son was there. anywho, the saw got stuck while cutting a tree.. he was gonna use his tractor front bucket too push on the tree to free up the saw. he asked me if i would pull the saw out. his son wouldn't and it didnt take me long to decline neither. i dont think i could ever run fast enough to get out of the way if things got bad...---...

i never did find out what happened to the chain, or the bar. but him and his son were still kicking many years after.

I'm always down for a good story.

If it were my saw/bar/chain, i would have tied a long rope to it then stood a ways away when he pushed it over with the loader tractor. I'd rather some scratches and scuffs than smashed to pieces.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LedFTed said:

'Ted , I never remember you ever getting off topic before on a thread = lol , and now that I think about it , neither on track too much either ---- I learned from fishing , " it is better to be the " story " ,  then the " story teller " !!! " 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 5:47 AM, sled_22 said:

I'm always down for a good story.

If it were my saw/bar/chain, i would have tied a long rope to it then stood a ways away when he pushed it over with the loader tractor. I'd rather some scratches and scuffs than smashed to pieces.

! take the powerhead off the bar and walk away with it!  That's what I've done when I got my bar pinched and didn't want to leave my saw in the woods.  Removed powerhead, went to house, got extra bar, went back and finished cutting, then got my old bar out when it was no longer pinched.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2021 at 3:22 PM, Bighanded said:

I went too many years with cheap chinese made tools via Home Depot/Lowes...having stepped up a few notches to the top end lines of Echo, I basically just say I wish i had done it long ago, and my only regret now is that these tools can go harder and longer than this old man....

did a ton of spring cleaning this past Saturday...man was I sore!   but couple of Alieve and a slower Sunday and I'm ready to go out and play some more...love having decent tools!

I bought the biggest set of Sthil hedgetrimmers they make.  They're yuge.

And after I get about halfway around my house with them, I'm worn out.

Would have been better suited to get smaller ones, but at the time I was young and strong. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 7:19 AM, Fishfiles said:

'Ted , I never remember you ever getting off topic before on a thread = lol , and now that I think about it , neither on track too much either ---- I learned from fishing , " it is better to be the " story " ,  then the " story teller " !!! " 

shoot,, my train of thought always runs off the tracks..... ;~}

Edited by LedFTed

23 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

! take the powerhead off the bar and walk away with it!  That's what I've done when I got my bar pinched and didn't want to leave my saw in the woods.  Removed powerhead, went to house, got extra bar, went back and finished cutting, then got my old bar out when it was no longer pinched.

I've done that too. But because I only had one saw and luckily had another bar and chain with. But that was bucking up big logs too before I had a saw big enough to tackle the task in one swipe. Many other ways to skin that cat. I always have a wedge in my back pocket now, or near by. It's saved many a pinches.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2021 at 8:58 AM, Misterclean said:

Hey Sled, try the rotary part # 31-8786 for ignition problems on those old saws. It replaces points on breaker ignitions and it replaced the external capacitor on that type as well. It also makes many solid state modules spark again if the internal capacitor is bad. Just wire it inline on the kill wire. It's been many many years since I've even held one in my hands so  hope the info is correct. It is still available.

I meant to find this earlier but this is exactly what i did for the 031. I was able to get it running like i said and it had really strong spark. This was in replace of the "electronic ignition" module but would be the same application as points/condensers. Thanks for the tip many months ago.

Just purchased another fixer upper from a feller on arboristsite.  It's a Jonsered 2165, basically a Jonny version of the 372xp, or at least will be. The jonsered version is a 2171 and the one I bought is a 2165, or 65cc. The piston is cooked and there's muffler bolts broke of in the cylinder. Thus, I'm going to be putting in the 50mm piston and cylinder to make it the 7Xcc engine as the rest of the components are the same. should be a fun build and I have a feeling it will be another one of those, I intend to sell but ends up on the work saw shelf. Here's a teaser picture from the seller.

2165 before shipment.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Build thread!

Just put together a parts cart. Only ran it up to $260. Lol. Might as well buy a new saw for that price. But I’m gonna build it as a screamer. Maybe a little port work? We’ll see.  

• Like 3

On 4/18/2021 at 2:10 PM, retro said:

I get it online. Amazon has a good deal going ($32.16 shipped) for a half-gallon jug right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-22964-Formula-2-Stroke-Synthetic/dp/B000GZV2ZG

the add points to an orange label, the number is the same. i got two.. for 27.50 apiece , the number matches. so i think i'm OK.. it didnt go in to any great detail how to mix, so i am at a loss for that.. i'm inclined to add a bit x-tra. i been mixing 50-1, i can adjust.. since i been mixing 25 to one, by accident.. i know i can make the adjustment. 🙂

just a cluster waiting to happen.. 😀

To keep it simple I just mix 3 oz. of oil to 1 gal. of gas and it comes out to a little less than 43-1 ratio.  I also always use premium gas.

• Like 1

Took the MS180 out to cut a bunch of saplings this weekend, widening out the trails on the farm.  It does a great job on small stuff.  I think I might ditch the "tooless chain tightener" and get a regular side cover with nuts to hold the bar in place.  Not a big fan of this "easy" crap they put on the homeowner saws.

My new Forester bar and chain will be here today.  Be interesting to see how they work on this saw.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Took the MS180 out to cut a bunch of saplings this weekend, widening out the trails on the farm.  It does a great job on small stuff.  I think I might ditch the "tooless chain tightener" and get a regular side cover with nuts to hold the bar in place.  Not a big fan of this "easy" crap they put on the homeowner saws.

My new Forester bar and chain will be here today.  Be interesting to see how they work on this saw.

I heard those easy tighteners can actually be more difficult to use for the guy that's used to the normal chain tensioner. I found out a bit about the metal dogs on the 180s... The 180c with the easy start or whatever, come stock with a metal dog. The ms180 (old/normal style recoil) come with the shitty plastic dogs. What's the logic there? i don't know but I think that's how you got a metal dog on yours Jeep.

My 2165/372xp build is all in the mail. Everything should be arriving this week. Hoping to get everything tore down this weekend and washed up. Need to refresh my memory on how to correctly split the cases. I'm going to do the crank in the freezer/heat the case/bearings method for reassembly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Tried out the forester bar/chain yet?

38 minutes ago, slowindown said:

Tried out the forester bar/chain yet?

No it's in the mail.  Supposed to arrive today. 

19 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

No it's in the mail.  Supposed to arrive today. 

yeah. Sorry. Misread the date/time. Aging eyes. 

Edited by slowindown