MargeShrimpson

Too many tires to choose from!!!

I have a 2001 Foreman and I've been looking at getting new tires. All 4 are dry rotted but hold air after I put about 2 cups of sta-flo in each tire. I'm worried that this stuff might freeze and leave me stranded. I'm thinking just bite the bullet and get 4 new tires. But there are so many different tread designs. The 4wheeler has the original tires and I kinda like that design they work well but I figured after 19 years there might be a better tire out there. I live in Michigan and plan to ride year round not through sand dunes maybe drive through some big mud puddles but mostly be on grass and dirt terrain in the summer and snow in the winter. I'm also planning on pushing snow with the plow. What's a good all around tire? 

20201107_181139.jpg

• Like 1

I think given your intended use @toodeep usually recommends Bear Claws.  Stock-ish, but hold up well and are more puncture resistant.

Those are Dunlops? Think you can still buy them.

heres my friend’s quad with ITP mud lites—Made in USA—you can buy a set on fleabay shipped from moto-x For less the $300.

4925C309-4C5C-43BE-843B-404286068FC7.jpeg

43956F26-FCAD-4E4E-BB40-6D79F40F9904.jpeg

• Like 3

i say go with mudlite AT's from rocky mountain atv, around 300 bucks for all for tires, 6-ply, you wont be disappointed !. 

• Like 4

Just now, MargeShrimpson said:

I picked up a set of those  SunF All Terrain ATV UTV Tires 25x8-12 & 25x10-12 6 PR A033 (Complete Full Set of 4) at Walmart for $249 OTD. 

d9612c7f-e218-4bee-a909-d2e07c2d4d52.8c6bb92d99ab1c1fea484e324c5f275e (1).jpeg

you wasted your money..lol. anything from wally world is made in china !..lol. the mudlites are made in U.S.A. !.

• Like 3

The original bearclaws will do everything needed and then some since you are use to the stock tires. I like the handling, traction and wear of them over the mudlites which are also a decent all around tire. Mudlites for me really lacked reverse traction and when on a snow covered hill and you have to back up to reposition that means a lot to me. I wouldn't be afraid to jump to a 26 in the bearclaw either since they run a little on the short side (on the original K series).

• Like 1

I had a buddy who ran bear claws. They were decent. 

I think where a person lives plays a part in the best tire as well. The terrain is different, mud is different. Ect... here in Alberta it’s either rocky (near foothills or mountains) muskeg, sand, or clay mud on the oil field roads.

The mud here is a lot different from when I rode back East. 

but I agree the basic general all around tires are like mentioned. 

mud lites

bear claws

Big Horns (you bought knockoffs)

dirt devil 

guess sky’s the limit. 

• Like 1

My stock tires were severely dry rotted. I put Sedona mud rebel r/t (radials), 8ply in 26/9/12 and 26/11/12 on rear. I haven’t done a lot with them but so far am liking them. They’re fairly but not overly aggressive with 1 1/8” lugs. I watched some pretty good reviews. Before watching reviews I had intended to get itp blackwater evolutions which I had on my Rhino. After the reviews I decided I would try these. Before the blackwaters on the Rhino I had itp mudlite xtrs on it. They went well but the sidewalls cracked and leaked after a number of years. 

I think you can see them in this picture:

F4439CD6-79A3-41C6-86EC-9C0F37A34C8B.jpeg

Bear Claws seem to resist prickly pear. Mud Lite and Quad Boss seemed to pick it up easier because of large lug spacing

2 hours ago, Wheeler said:

think where a person lives plays a part in the best tire as well. The terrain is different, mud is different. Ect...

plus 1 ^^^^ no sand or rocky ground here in the Tennessee valley, the few clay spots we have here, provide great grip, depending on the dampness, the real issue is where farmers feed round bales, and of corse the dairy farms, and for the soil, all depends on if you ride over the same ground over, and over again, being i grew up farming , you learned not to track over the same soil again, and again to protect the land. aggressive tread is needed in some areas , like where fish, and jeep ride, another issue is the thorny bodark trees, those will puncture any air filled tire, lol 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MargeShrimpson said:

I picked up a set of those  SunF All Terrain ATV UTV Tires 25x8-12 & 25x10-12 6 PR A033 (Complete Full Set of 4) at Walmart for $249 OTD. 

I have ran those. They are pretty good! Rip-off of the Maxxis Bighorn pattern.

Those will last a LONG time compared to ITP Mudlites (or similar) if you run hard-pack surface much. 

Yes they are China tires but good ones.

Edited by oh400ex
  • Thanks 1