Wheeler

Winter Plans..

Now that my quad is done for the year, I’ve been thinking about my plans... 

- Re-Bedline Rims - GOING TO PAINT THEM

- New ITP steel rims with SwampLites (keep Zillas too)  - EXECUTIONERS ON. SOLD ZILLAS. NO NEW RIMS. 

- Novus Polish the plastics -  COMPLETE. MY TRY WIPE NEW. 

- Implement paint the racks, bumper. ENDED UP RE-BEDLINING. 

- New rear seat for the wife (just rear box rite now) 

- Go over quad front to back, all new fluids ect. Re-examine the pilot jet issue..PILOT JET CHANGED BACK TO 38. 

- New side “355” & rear Honda decal. - INSTALLED. 

- Figure out 424 issue. Clicks in 4x4. -  NEW TO ME 424 INSTALLED. 

& what ever may come to mind.. want er 110% ready earlier than last year. Put a lot of miles on this year & worked er hard. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i must have missed the post about the 424 issue, what's going on with it ? 

No, didn’t miss issue.. I’ve just never really said much about it. I’m baffled. In 4 wheel drive, every oh say 5-10 seconds I get a loud “click” & handle bars pull when this happens. If I’m balls to the wall like I was towing the Polaris out of bush I didn’t notice it. But just cruising, loud click n pull..

• Thanks 1

Is the front of the 424 pushed in the front diff , it may have backed out from a weak spring or the 424 anti-rotation strap is holding it back , then the splines will be pulled away , take a bar against the frame to the 424 housing and try to pry to the front and see how much it moves ----   then another thing it could just be you need a cable adjustment 

I just remembered you are running a locker up front , eh ??? 

• Like 3

yup^^^  I'm thinking about that anti wrap strap, not only does is help resist the unit turned, but also holds it from sliding back and forth, did you have this issue before you put that locker in the front differential. 

• Like 2

agree'd..didn't ya install a locker in the front diff ??. if so ?..then stop '' tweaking '' it !!!..lol. oem is tried and proven.

• Like 2

Yes I installed a locker. 

I don’t think I had this issue until the cable popped out again & I had to fix it in the bush. So I possibly may not have cable adjusted properly from what was mentioned. I’ll have to look into this. 

@shadetree sorry modified is my middle name. Everything including all my guns are modified.. nothing stays stock.. lol. You restore  beat up quads, & I modify them. Ride hard, put away clean & well maintained. Hahaha. 

• Like 3

when it's engaged ... you should be able to pull the black knob out just a tad 1/8 inch or less before you feel any cable spring resistance. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

i read in the old forums 2011, you had issues with the spring in the switch plus a rust issue ? the spring was replaced by a miter saw brush spring, not that a bad thing, i did away with the oem spring as well, (went with a stainless)  never had an issue after that, but! before the cable didnt act right from new, so you've had the switch apart ? when you click the center button on the shift knob, does it suck in, on it's own ? part ways , then when the bike roles a tad the 424 gears aline, and the button should suck in a tad more, or do you have to push it in ? 

sending you, and fish a PM. 

Gonna start to pick away at the quad. I’ve got some bedliner at home & gonna re-do my rims. I’ve got reading about implement paint & spraying it. I will have to head over to Princess Auto & pic up a spray gun & filter ect. I’ll hit up the local tractor supply place for the paint & hardener or what er it requires. I don’t think it should be too hard to spray the racks & bumper, but for those that have used it any tips or tricks I should be aware of?  Thx in advance. 

Painting racks is easy.  Clean em up, prime, spray.  That implement paint with hardener takes a long time to harden, especially in cold weather, but once it's dry and hard, it's tough.

• Like 3

i take it your going with implement paint ? don't forget about the 424 issue! 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Painting racks is easy.  Clean em up, prime, spray.  That implement paint with hardener takes a long time to harden, especially in cold weather, but once it's dry and hard, it's tough.

u use a spray gun I assume as well? I’ll have heat on in the garage & all winter to cure lol. 

@_Wilson_™ yes I decided to give that paint a try. Figure it will be easier to wash up than bedliner as the dirt sticks to it. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

Depends on the application.  Sometimes I just get the rattle cans from tractor supply.  Easy, but no hardener. 

If I'm doing something I know I need hardener in (Jeep axles, for example) I use a cheap spray gun.

I like to use hardener, so what I normally try to do is get several sets of racks/frames etc together, and spray all at once, because I'm too lazy to get the spray gun out and have to clean it for every little project.

• Like 2

Slowly starting to work on the ole girl.. jacked up rear to take the wheels of & found both hubs loose. I’m sure I even had loctite on them too. So I’ll get those tightened back up, & change rear diff fluid. Plans r to remove the rear box, bumper & rack, then wash up the plastic & see how the plastic polish works. If I have time after that, I’ll get the back wheels re-bedlined today as well. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

these have to be the worst for those rear hubs getting loose, wheeler, which polish are you talking about ? the threenstage novus polish gooder  uses ? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

these have to be the worst for those rear hubs getting loose, wheeler, which polish are you talking about ? the threenstage novus polish gooder  uses ? 

yes sir the 3 stage Novus is what I bought while a go. Ya odd even with loctite hun nuts seem to loosen up! 

• Like 2

Well seeing how Swamp Lites aren’t being made anymore, I’m thinking I’m going to go back with ole faithful... 26x10x12 Executioners on all 4...

the 424 issue will be resolved as I have a new to me Wideopen 424 to install tomorrow. 

Pilot jet issue fixed as I dropped back down to 38..

I’ll be removing the rear rack & back plastic getting the Novus polish Tomorrow as well..

things r coming together...

• Like 2

How did you like the Novus? I didn’t use a buffer because i don’t know how to properly buff a finish.

bottom and top pic is before i started

but i did use #2 quite a bit to clean my black toolbox cover and mud guards. Also used it sparingly on the shiny areas of the fenders. And #3 on some really heavier scratched areas on the inner toolbox panel a fender unders.

also used meguiers cleaner wax to shine things up.

5E44781E-759A-41BB-A838-A1F64FB2B887.jpeg

DF395ECC-9BDE-4EC3-9305-0488A6552178.jpeg

9B7DAF7F-F6AC-41BE-8527-AB465E4DBCF3.jpeg

37E3F26D-58A5-402E-838B-0A070CE997FA.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Well seeing how Swamp Lites aren’t being made anymore, I’m thinking I’m going to go back with ole faithful... 26x10x12 Executioners on all 4...

the 424 issue will be resolved as I have a new to me Wideopen 424 to install tomorrow. 

Pilot jet issue fixed as I dropped back down to 38..

I’ll be removing the rear rack & back plastic getting the Novus polish Tomorrow as well..

things r coming together...

Try Mudbugs.  I have executioners on my 09 Foreman.  I have Mudbugs on the Rubicon AND my 06 Foreman, AND the wife's 420, AND both of the kid's bikes.

The Mudbugs are lighter, ride smoother, and pull better than the executioners.  About the same price too.

• Like 2

@jeepwm69 dropped off the wheels today to get new Executioners on. I seen Reptile tires.. ! they sweet too! Very similar to Swamp Lites but heavier than the Kendas!

@Goober your plastics turned out fantastic! I hope mine turn out the same. So far still on #3. I'll have the rears done today. Either way they will be a lot better than before I started!

I was at the decal place today. Getting a new rear Honda & side 355 decals made up. Very similar to OEM. Looked at a Kimpex Cargo Deluxe as well. Has the back rest for the wife & still flat on top for straping a gun case down! I may pic that up too. Have to measure my rear rack to make sure it will fit ok..

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i didn't even think about badges for the bbk 355 build ... nice touch! can't wait to see what this beast looks like after a good polish, new tires. new homemade front bumper, should look really customized. i have an idea what you might need next, ITP wheels! like fish has. 

• Like 1

@_Wilson_™ I looked at the ITP SS Black rims. I had those on my Brute. But they get marked up. Its a lot easier to just repaint the rims if they are marked up... I almost thought about going back to the aluminum color over the black... I'll see.. Not sure on that one. 

• Like 2

i like the blacked out look, also like what goober did with his green 300 wheels ... I'm just a fan of the type ITP wheels fish has... heck they would even look good blacked out IMO ... with black racks bumpers etc .the bright aluminum . just makes the bike pop! lol. yours with the red fairing ... yeah ... i think black wheels equal the red color, with black. 

• Like 2

Here’s a teaser...

0A7EA722-3620-4C61-B562-DBADE7732543.jpeg

BF53ABCE-1F42-486D-A086-A5AB9C0A9B83.jpeg

8FA7E5B8-7676-492B-8336-DAEB02352D7E.jpeg

BEFF168F-123E-486C-B268-07511CA75DFA.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 4