Wheeler

Winter Plans..

i have to do that with mine to, i think it's just the nature of the the detent ball switch, i don't think there's a really easy way to lube that switch, without taking it apart, now i did mine, i used bel-ray water proof grease. i wished i had taken pics. getting those detent balls back in place isn't a fun job, i had to use a magnetic pen. 

• Like 1

This one was new, and probably doesn't have 25 miles on it since it was installed.  I was worried I might not have it adjusted correctly, but if it's not always a smooth, easy click I'll leave it alone as long as it's working.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

This one was new, and probably doesn't have 25 miles on it since it was installed.  I was worried I might not have it adjusted correctly, but if it's not always a smooth, easy click I'll leave it alone as long as it's working.

I would say you need some adjustment , it works smooth as silk when it is oiled and  greased up and adjusted properly , I know it took me a while to get on the right track with adjusting the cable  , I was making them too tight and was having to pull hard at the end of the stroke to get the detent to grab ---- over the years there were at least 3 different control knobs , all just a little different , I got some pics of them taken part and next to one another , some had two detent balls , some have one ball , the new kits upgrade to the latest and greatest 

14 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I was making them too tight and was having to pull hard at the end of the stroke to get the detent to grab ----

That's pretty much what I'm having to do.  So I should loosen the cable a hair?

• Like 1

should have just a tad bit of play at the knob when it's engaged. mine has about an 1/8 inch of free play 

mine just a spring issue, wheeler, i added an aftermarket stainless spring, so that's where my issue is, before that yes they popped right in, i just had recall taking it all part to put the spring in, and then putting those dang detent balls back in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

That's pretty much what I'm having to do.  So I should loosen the cable a hair?

Try loosening up a bit , it will snap in easier 

• Like 1

i also spin the Knob to rotate the detent balls which helps spread the lube, the issue i had was, when i got (new) the cable and switch were out out adjustment, being it was my 1st 424, i had to figure the issue out, there are no videos or info that i know of about taking that switch apart. routing of the cable could also be an issue your having. 

Well here we are a year later. My new plans for the ole girl this year as follows..

-replace all fluids 

-replace front headlight grill

-move cargo box to the front rack from the back & add gun vise

-reupholster the rear seat on the 2up seat & install on rear obviously. 
-consider swapping out Executioners for something like a BigHorn 2.0

-set valves. 

• Like 2