Kevnic

Clutch slipping trx350D

Hey guys it's been a while since I have been on, work and life has been crazy you know the deal...

Anyway long story short I screwed up and used oil that probably was not made for wet clutch systems. Fast forward a couple months, and under full power in the upper gears the clutch is slipping. As I understand it and correct me if I am wrong, the clutch is not adjustable?? Just wondering if anyone can recommend a course plan to remediate this. I am mechanically inclined, want to get it done before I throw the plow on. Thank you for any help.

Kevin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevnic said:

Hey guys it's been a while since I have been on, work and life has been crazy you know the deal...

Anyway long story short I screwed up and used oil that probably was not made for wet clutch systems. Fast forward a couple months, and under full power in the upper gears the clutch is slipping. As I understand it and correct me if I am wrong, the clutch is not adjustable?? Just wondering if anyone can recommend a course plan to remediate this. I am mechanically inclined, want to get it done before I throw the plow on. Thank you for any help.

Kevin

the clutch is adjustable.

• Like 1

Thank you shade.... Ill look in the fsm and go from there. Maybe a guy can get lucky around the holidays.

First thing you need to do is get that oil out and put some JASO MA rated oil in.  You might put it in, run it a bit, and change it again just to be safe.  Rotella 15W40 T4 in the white jug is JASO MA rated and it's cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

First thing you need to do is get that oil out and put some JASO MA rated oil in.  You might put it in, run it a bit, and change it again just to be safe.  Rotella 15W40 T4 in the white jug is JASO MA rated and it's cheap.

I drove around with the suspect oil for maybe a week

I've changed it with GN4 Honda oil , filter as well

Edited by Kevnic
Spelling
  • Like 2

So I went out and adjusted it according to shade, and fsm. No more slippage. Question, the decrease and increase on the case, what does that mean? The set screw is increasing what if I turn it clockwise? Tension on change clutch?

Thanks for dealing with my ignorance.

Kevin

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kevnic said:

So I went out and adjusted it according to shade, and fsm. No more slippage. Question, the decrease and increase on the case, what does that mean? The set screw is increasing what if I turn it clockwise? Tension on change clutch?

Thanks for dealing with my ignorance.

Kevin

center bolt/screw will increase going clockwise, decrease going counter clockwise. what it means is, depending on which way you turn the center bolt/screw ? , changes the amount of tension it puts on the friction disk inside the change clutch.

• Like 2

Hi All.  I'm new here.  I found this post because I'm having a similar problem with my 87 TRX350D except it's not the oil.  The clutch slips while cold.  (It's not an oil problem.  I run the same Rotella T4 in this quad that I run in another quad and two other bikes that have wet clutches.  I've never had a clutch issue.)  I adjusted the clutch free play but it did not help.  I finally tore it down to figure it out.  While cold, I could slip the change clutch with my hands.  So I thought, no big deal I just need a new clutch kit.  But once I got the clutch apart the friction discs looked nearly brand new.  I measured the thickness and found them to be well above the min thickness in my Honda service manual.  I checked that all 6 friction discs and 5 plates were there and in the correct order per the service manual.  The springs are fine.  It didn't make sense so I ordered a new EBC kit (CK1196) anyways.  

I put the new friction discs in today and had the same problem.  So I did more investigation.  When I stack all the friction discs and plates together they are 23.30mm (measured with digital calipers).  Then I took the clutch center and assembled it with the pressure plate (without the discs & plates installed).  So the clutch center and pressure plate are squeezed together as tight as they can be, aluminum against aluminum.  I measured a 23.20mm spacing.  See pictures.  So the stack of plates and the minimum gap between the clutch center and pressure plate are the same.  This doesn't make sense. What am I missing?  Certainly the clutch is not going to work well if I put it back on like this.

The service manual says each friction disc is allowed to be as thin as 2.3mm.  New is 2.7mm thick.  So each disc can wear 0.4mm.  Since there are 6 discs, thats a total of 2.4mm of wear that the assembly should allow.  My assembly will only allow 0.1mm of wear before pressure can no longer be applied to the plates.

I've checked part numbers for all the years (87-89) of this quad and all have the same clutch center, pressure plate and same number of friction discs and plates.  The service manual doesn't list any wear measurements for either the center or pressure plate and they don't look worn.  I can't find any dimensions for what the clutch center and pressure plate gap is supposed to be.  Is it possible that the clutch center I have is from another model Honda or something and is slightly wider than it's supposed to be?

I need a solution.  Can I add another friction disc and plate to the stack just to increase the overall stack thickness and allow the pressure plate to actually put pressure on the discs?  Could that cause any problems?

Thanks for the help!

Some photos are attached which may help.

IMG_4690.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4689.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

IMG_4693.jpg

IMG_4694.jpg

Hi , maybe it is your centrifugal clutch that is slipping   Start a thread of you own , so as to not get the two different problems mixed up ,,, and stop by the New Member  introduction thread and say hello ..

• Like 5

Yup 100% centrifugal clutch needs to be replaced  from what I just read!

• Like 2

So you think the thicknesses I measured are normal? I can't see how in the world that clutch will work properly because the pressure plate won't be able to put any pressure on the discs/plates.

On 2/11/2021 at 2:14 PM, MS1382 said:

So you think the thicknesses I measured are normal? I can't see how in the world that clutch will work properly because the pressure plate won't be able to put any pressure on the discs/plates.

your trying to hard to think alot !..lol.

• Like 2