Misterclean

More "Non Wheeler" stuff

My daughter and Son in law are getting interested in vinyl albums lately so I refurbished my old Toshiba direct drive turn table these last few days so I can give it to them for Christmas.. I have a new cartridge ordered......should be here shortly. How many of you had the 'High End" stereo equipment back in the seventies? This was my pride and joy when I was 18 (1977). It has the strobe light so you can set the rpm's perfectly, a counterweight to adjust the needle weight and the drag adjustment. I can't wait to clean some old albums and hear them again!!.....Oh by the way do any of you know how to clean these vinyl albums? Some have the paper sleeve stuck. Soaking in water may lift it off?

• Like 2

Can't tell anything about vinyl, but the old man (surprise suprise) has a high end system that...you guessed it....is still in the boxes.

He never got it out when I was younger because "you kids would mess it up"

I did notice that vinyl seems to be making a comeback.  Saw a bunch of repop albums at walmart, and also at Barnes and Noble a while back.

I've got an old Pioneer rack system with a turntable, dual cassette, and analog tuner.  It's currently in the basement waiting on me to get my reloading bench set back up again.  .

Then I still have the old Kenwood receiver I bought when I was in high school.  It's set up in the shop complete with 5 disc Kenwood turntable, but only has a scratched up "Nevermind" CD in it that starts skipping 1/2 way through "Drain You" and I have to start it over again. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jeep....I still have my Pioneer SX950 (or something like that) Tuner. Back in the day I also had Cerwin Vega speakers. 15inch woofers and twin horn tweeters . 

My first stereo was all mixed up and used  and hand me downs , but it was my most prized possession   , I had a Sansui 6060 I bought from a friend who went with a Sansui 8080  , then I found a 8080 in a pawn shop ,  Klipsch speakers from a bar room  , turntable was a Phillips and the only thing that was bought new  , it had a stroke light , my pride and joy was given to me by my cousin , an Akai reel to reel ------   I just sold two 600 watt Peavys that I had on my patio , got 8 Bose now 

• Like 2

should i keep my old albums, cassettes, 8 tracks, etc.. i was going to say those records that played on the old Victoria, they must hav went the way of goodwill recently. good buy Hank. Those were 33's wernt they? 😠

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

should i keep my old albums, cassettes, 8 tracks, etc.. i was going to say those records that played on the old Victoria, they must hav went the way of goodwill recently. good buy Hank. Those were 33's wernt they? 😠

I think you might be thinking of 78s , but what you are thinking , can leave everyone thinking 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My first car stereo was pretty primitive by todays standards , had a slide in mount on the hump , Motorola 8 track player , a slide in 8 track to FM convertor and 2 Pioneer 6x9s in the back deck with shag carpet around them , but boy did it jam better than the AM radio in the 70 Nova ----times have changed 

I throw away all the albums , cassettes , 8 tracks I had and I am about to give all my CDs to the flea market 

• Like 1

i had a set of those 6x9 back in day, you were up town here, if you had those, they were 3 ways wernt they ? the ones i had looked exactly like these. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

I might be a little older than you Wilson , I was before tri-axile speakers , before co-axile speakers  and was in the mono , no stereo , single axile speakers dark times , LOL 

yeah, you have me by a few years ... but i recall those days of just am stations, (650 am out of nashville) we were never allowed to listen to fm for a while. heck, back then if you had a tv, you were considered wealthy... imagine that, times sure have changed. that's when trucks were TRUCKS and kids minded, not like now. 

• Like 1

WTIX AM New Orleans !!!!  how can I forget  jamming to stuff like the Archies "  Sugar , oh honey , honey , you are my candy girl and you got me wanting you " ....  music has sure changed too 

In 1976 I had a 1970 Chevelle. Immediately I put a Craig am fm stereo with a built in 8 track in it......it had a power booster in it as they called it back then. Jenson triaxial speakers in the doors and  a pair of wedge mount speakers on the rear panel. I think they were Craig 9 inch ovals. It only put out about 30 or 40 total watts but without the power robbing base it was plenty loud. The Jensons were very efficient on power requirements.

• Like 3

I think almost  everyone had a pair of Jensens in something they owned back then 

• Like 2

I still have cassette players in the Jeeps.  Late 90's vintage Kenwoods.  My neighbor asked if it was a "decoy" radio and I said "Heck no, that's my stereo!"

I did add FM modulated single CD players later (console) and then an FM modulated AUX so the wife  could use her ipod.   Still running those original head units though. 

The funny thing now is the old original Jeep AM/FM radios are bringing HUGE money to the guys wanting their Jeeps to be original. 

I picked up a NOS Jeep AM/FM/CB about 10 years ago to put in Dad's Scrambler.  I'm going to add a console with the same FM modulated single CD player and AUX input I have in my Jeeps.    Will probably have to add an amp too as I doubt that old OEM radio puts out much. 

CB.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Misterclean said:

That's an interesting combo....... CB, am,fm with push button selector. Probably worth mucho for the Jeep crowd.

With it being NOS, probably $1K+.

I got it for $125 about 15 years ago (I thought more about when I got it and it was probably @2005), before the "all original" craze hit CJ's.

I remember getting my first CJ, giving away the stock wheels (bought Cragars), hacking the dash for a DIN stereo (original were 2 shaft type), pulling a bunch of the original stuff off and putting JC Whitney crap all over it.

Now I wish I'd left it alone!

• Like 4

I've never seen one of those jeep models before, that's nice, 23 channel ? would be my guess ? fish had posted some cb/radio combos to, those were a tad before my time, that one, I'd sure like to have,  do you have the oem antenna that goes with it ? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

With it being NOS, probably $1K+.

I got it for $125 about 15 years ago (I thought more about when I got it and it was probably @2005), before the "all original" craze hit CJ's.

I remember getting my first CJ, giving away the stock wheels (bought Cragars), hacking the dash for a DIN stereo (original were 2 shaft type), pulling a bunch of the original stuff off and putting JC Whitney crap all over it.

Now I wish I'd left it alone!

"JC Whitney Crap" LOL.....you got that right.

Edited by Misterclean
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I've never seen one of those jeep models before, that's nice, 23 channel ? would be my guess ? fish had posted some cb/radio combos to, those were a tad before my time, that one, I'd sure like to have,  do you have the oem antenna that goes with it ? 

It actually has a splitter with it and ties into the factory radio antenna.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 5:47 PM, Fishfiles said:

My first stereo was all mixed up and used  and hand me downs , but it was my most prized possession   , I had a Sansui 6060 I bought from a friend who went with a Sansui 8080  , then I found a 8080 in a pawn shop ,  Klipsch speakers from a bar room  , turntable was a Phillips and the only thing that was bought new  , it had a stroke light , my pride and joy was given to me by my cousin , an Akai reel to reel ------   I just sold two 600 watt Peavys that I had on my patio , got 8 Bose now 

Do you still have either one of the Sansui receivers?  Were/Are they the DB models?

Old stereo gear is a hobby of mine.  I have all kinds of stuff but a lot of it doesn't work.  I've got tube gear, solid state gear and all kinds of speakers.  I have a Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 2 system but the DC offset on the Spec 2 is running high on one channel so I don't use it.  I've got an RT-909 reel to reel and another big Teac reel to reel but it doesn't work right.  I have several Sansui amps and receivers.  I'm using a pair of old Altec Lansing Flamenco speakers right now and also have a pair of Klipsch Forte speakers that I'll probably put up for sale soon.  I can't remember what all I do have and I have learned to work on it some but I need to learn a lot more.  I have a Sansui 9090db that I fixed but something else has broke on it and I haven't even tried to fix it.

This stuff is addicting.

• Like 1

No don't have any of my old radio  equipment , except a Cobra CB still in the box from the early 70s never used , a Linear , power mic and a SWR tuner  , broke the antenna in the garage   , saving it for Mad Max days , LOL ------  DB=Dolby right ? Yes I do believe they were both Dolby , I see them Sansui 90/90s  going for $1,000-1,200 dollars used now days 

• Like 1

A lot of that old stuff is very expensive.  I used to have a Pioneer SX-1980 (weighed about 80 lbs.) which was the most powerful receiver the Pioneer ever built and they go for several thousand now.

• Like 2

some of you might recall this classic dodge  little red express / wagon , also some had this cb / radio setup, i used to see a few of these around  columbia, now, i know of just one, that belongs to a car  collector, he redid the inside, and put a cummins 5.9 in. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

RubiDan....yes it can be addictive. We got the turntable going last night. Took us  day to figure out that the turn table required a pre amp to function so we got out an old Akai receiver and used it's "Phono" connections as the pre amp and redirected it back to the other amp. Now we are discussing building speaker from scratch or just putting better speakers in existing speaker boxes. I want to go with a big 15" woofer setup but that will require a special build. It's gonna be fun what ever we do.

• Like 2