BlueSparrow

Recommendations for a Honda ATV great at towing (preferably road legal in the UK)

I don't like the look of the product you linked. Looks like it would be inferior to a potentially cheaper option.

The IRS and SRA are not different enough to make it fit or not fit on a trailer.

Edit: The product you linked is meant to be towed by an ATV and would not be road legal. I thought you were linking that as your haul trailer... 😅

21 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

And IRS vs Solid axle.....if you're going to be trail riding a lot, IRS is the way to go.  You get much better ride quality.  For work, I prefer a sold rear axle.  Stronger, more solid, and cheaper. 

Perfectly said! I agree

All I could add is that with a bike like this if you could only have one... go IRS because it is good enough for work anyway and does everything else better.

Side note... IRS has the ability to "squat" and "stand" as the suspension travels.

This will change the width a tiny bit depending on how much weight is applied to the bike. The difference is so little you don't notice but that may account for specs.

This is the trailer type I would recommend. Ramp is included as part of the design and very low cost.

download.png

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 3

yeah i have one of those just watch the tongue weight, if you go with an IRS, cause it can get hairy. I'd go with jeep thoughts for a bike meant for work, just depends on which you be doing more of trail riding, or work related, and by your post more work related ? and if this is your first one, that fact also should be a factor. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

16 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yeah i have one of those just watch the tongue weight, if you go with an IRS, cause it can get hairy. I'd go with jeep thoughts for a bike meant for work, just depends on which you be doing more of trail riding, or work related, and by your post more work related ? and if this is your first one, that fact also should be a factor. 

I would be doing very little trail riding, it'll be primarily for travelling off-road terrain to go metal detecting at remote abandoned villages with no road, I wouldn't be racing it around and there are no trees to avoid etc.

The towing aspect would be for hauling trailers full of garbage accumulated at remote locations and helping haul some rock to help build and repair footpaths which could be used by an ATV, to stop erosion of the ground from ATV usage.

I wouldn't be using it very regularly, not like a farmer would be using in intensively every day. I was even thinking of going for the cheapest Fourtrax 420, but that has a towing capacity of 384kg, not sure how much it can handle above the listed capacity.

Edited by BlueSparrow
  • Like 1

oh, then that paints a detailed description, i guess you could go with ether, but, i was hauling monster loads of wood, with the one LJ loaned me, so i can relate to hauling extra heavy loads, if you don't load the trailer in the front, but more over the center of the trailer axle (if single) you should be fine, I'm just don't like IRS because of so many moving parts 4 c-v boots 4 joints i don't know how many suspension bushings, i was using a 680, and was not impressed, i do the same hauling with my 97 300 fwd, with no issues, except having to shift gears, other then that, I've been very pleased, but the oem brakes on those SUCK! lol! but i would sure enough take both for a test ride. 

For what you'll be doing, a 420 4wd would work fine. 

These machines will pull a LOT more than the "rating".  The thing you have to remember is you have to stop that load once it's going.  I've had a 5x8 trailer fully loaded with red oak, and was probably 3x's the "rating" on my Foreman, and it pulled it easily around flat ground, but had I been on a hill and tried to stop it, it wouldn't have been pretty.

As far as tires are concerned, your best bet would probably be to find a set of "street" wheels and tires to swap on for when you plan on using it on the road.   I know my Honda Accord has a 4x110 pattern.  Find some 14"-15" used wheels from a beater/old car and put some "street" tires on it (street tires being smaller all terrains meant for a truck).  Buying used from a scrapyard shouldn't cost you much.

Exploring abandoned villages with no roads sounds very interesting.  I'm going to need you to take lots of pics and post them!  (please....lol)

• Like 1

Apolgies for the late reply.. So, in my opinion forget all modern Hondas.. My father had a 2012 foreman and i had a 450 foreman, the 450 hands down was more versatile, practical and user friendly. Modern ATVs in the UK cost a small fortune to maintain properly. Pre 2000 is the better option, in my opinion of course.

As for the road legalality side...

If its road registered and has a logbook (V5) you have no issue whatsoever. 

Odds on youll buy an 'agricultural' registered atv. Theres loads fpr sale! 

All you need to do is change the taxation class on the logbook and add lights, indicators etc.. basically it has to pass an MOT. 

Agricultural taxation class covers you up to a 10 mile radius of your address, maybe you could swing it somehow?!

Hope this helps buddy.

• Like 5

On 11/17/2020 at 8:14 AM, oh400ex said:

I don't like the look of the product you linked. Looks like it would be inferior to a potentially cheaper option.

The IRS and SRA are not different enough to make it fit or not fit on a trailer.

Edit: The product you linked is meant to be towed by an ATV and would not be road legal. I thought you were linking that as your haul trailer... 😅

Perfectly said! I agree

All I could add is that with a bike like this if you could only have one... go IRS because it is good enough for work anyway and does everything else better.

Side note... IRS has the ability to "squat" and "stand" as the suspension travels.

This will change the width a tiny bit depending on how much weight is applied to the bike. The difference is so little you don't notice but that may account for specs.

This is the trailer type I would recommend. Ramp is included as part of the design and very low cost.

download.png

That trailer is going $699, without taxes, at TSC. supposed to be a Black Friday sale. dont know had that translates across the pond.

1 hour ago, SamUK said:

Apolgies for the late reply.. So, in my opinion forget all modern Hondas.. My father had a 2012 foreman and i had a 450 foreman, the 450 hands down was more versatile, practical and user friendly. Modern ATVs in the UK cost a small fortune to maintain properly. Pre 2000 is the better option, in my opinion of course.

All you need to do is change the taxation class on the logbook and add lights, indicators etc.. basically it has to pass an MOT. 

Agricultural taxation class covers you up to a 10 mile radius of your address, maybe you could swing it somehow?!

Hope this helps buddy.

Sam; Ya need least 3 or 4 kids, for good arguments. 😁

14 hours ago, SamUK said:

Hope this helps buddy.

Thanks for the tips, what do you think is better than a modern honda? I live in the highlands of Scotland and there are lots of farmers in my area, every one I have spoke to about quads so far says they swear by getting a honda due to reliability, even modern ones. Some said they tried other brands but always end up going back to getting a honda.

I'm also considering getting a 2 wheel drive electric work bike instead of a quad, it would probably do quite well for what I need one for. Major down side is obviously you can't tow anything. The ubco 2x2 looks good, but it is very expensive.

https://www.ubcobikes.com/eu/2x2-work-bike/

6 hours ago, BlueSparrow said:

Thanks for the tips, what do you think is better than a modern honda? I live in the highlands of Scotland and there are lots of farmers in my area, every one I have spoke to about quads so far says they swear by getting a honda due to reliability, even modern ones. Some said they tried other brands but always end up going back to getting a honda.

I'm also considering getting a 2 wheel drive electric work bike instead of a quad, it would probably do quite well for what I need one for. Major down side is obviously you can't tow anything. The ubco 2x2 looks good, but it is very expensive.

https://www.ubcobikes.com/eu/2x2-work-bike/

Get a new Honda and don't look back. I've never had a problem and put on at least 1000 miles every year. Fixing quads may be a hobby with you guys but I have things I would rather do with my time, like ride etc. Most all my friends ride Honda and wouldn't switch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I truly mean no offence in saying this. If it comes across as that (or condescending) I sincerely apologize.

It seems to me that you are being pulled in many different directions due to having no personal experience with this type of thing.

This is a situation we have all found ourselves in. No one can be an expert in everything... except that one friend we all have... just ask em!

Take the recommendation to go with a Honda ATV.

That "work bike" would be a complete waste of your money.

If money is not an object...

Go with what PROV just said. I agree completely. We are a certain demographic here but most Honda owners are riding trouble free.

1 hour ago, PROV said:

Get a new Honda and don't look back. I've never had a problem and put on at least 1000 miles every year. Fixing quads may be a hobby with you guys but I have things I would rather do with my time, like ride etc. Most all my friends ride Honda and wouldn't switch.

If you are price conscious...

Find a used utility Honda in good condition and buy it! Model doesn't really matter. Just not ES

Same advice for the trailer. Get a used one that works if you are price conscious. 

Good luck with whatever you end up on!

• Like 1

my .02's worth, SRA, manual shift, PS i can do without, 4x4 is a must have with a warn winch, roller fair lead all the way !. i'd stay clear of the trx420's..they are junk in my book.

• Like 1

best advise right there ^^^ fact! SRA is best choice.... i wouldn't have a 420 all you have to do is read about all the problems people have, if this is your 1st bike, go with a honda and those who HAVE had years of experience hauling heavy loads with defrent models . IF your going to use this primarily as a work bike you should grt the one most suited for the job, which again is an SRA preferably an older model, less the electronic BS which will cause you problems in the long run, along with all the extra moving parts of a IRS. 

Any honda is the way to go, 100%. I prefer the earlier models with no electronics, its less to go wrong and easier to repair and maintain. 

However, you can get a foreman 520 brand new for just under 5k here in the UK. If you maintain it as per the schedule it will last you a LONG time. 

Dare i say this on a Honda forum.... Dont shy away from Yamaha, in my opinion they are equally as good as Honda nowadays.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@SamUK
I have a Suzuki here on my farm, 99 king quad, I use it like my workhorse, top 3 in my books are Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 10:11 AM, TBRider said:

@SamUK
I have a Suzuki here on my farm, 99 king quad, I use it like my workhorse, top 3 in my books are Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha.

Hey TB, suzuki here dont last at all, spares are expensive amd compared to honda they just sont live uo to the daily abuse. Bear in mind, service schedules are very rarely followed here, they tend to get serviced when they malfunction, hence Honda and Yamaha leading the way here in England. 

I rate suzuki dirt bikes highly, always gauranteed to get the hole shot when racing however, and again, honda always seem to finish first.

On 11/28/2020 at 4:11 AM, TBRider said:

@SamUK

Same as my father-in-law's two Arctic Cat 300's. 

Those things had some awesome options.  Disc brakes all around, IRS, selectable high/low/super low range, and selectable 2wd, 4wd, 4wd with front diff lock.

That said, they are a major PITA to work on.  I had to replace the starter gears in one of my FIL's machines and it was a major ordeal.  Had to disassemble half the bike to get it done.

Leaky carb drains downhill into the crankcase, filling it full of gas.  New OEM carb is about $500.  I tried polishing the seat and adding a new OEM float needle ($40) and it still leaked. 

As Sam said, parts are $$$, although Honda seems to be moving towards that now too, after historically having the cheapest OEM parts of any of the big brands.

• Like 1