oh400ex

Engine noises

Hello everyone!

I wanted to start a thread to document noises.

Wanna start by saying that this is very perception based and a difference in how you hold the camera can give misleading information.

If you are capable of posting a short video detailing either what an engine should (or should not) sound like it may be very helpful to someone in their own diagnosis.

For your consideration... this is a clip of my 2000 400ex which to my ear sounds amazing. Thoughts?

Please feel free to post you own proper sounding quads for consideration.

Thanks for looking!

I don't hear anything that bothered me , other than maybe opening up that exhaust some , that is a Sport bike right , was kind of dark in the pic - LOL ----- SEND IT 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I don't hear anything that bothered me , other than maybe opening up that exhaust some , that is a Sport bike right , was kind of dark in the pic - LOL ----- SEND IT 

Oh I do. That's the bike from my "wide trail riding" video

Opening up the exhaust? This thing is LOUD when opened up already.

My main complaint is that the White Brothers e-series pipe is too loud. Needs to be repacked... it's on the list.

Edited by oh400ex

Great idea!

Had a Foreman 400 awhile back that, after a top end job, was "knocking"

Having worked on engines for over 20 years,  I thought I was pretty familiar with taps, knocks and piston slap etc

I was fixing to pull top end off again because... you have to believe me.. this sounded like a knock for sure

I put my hand down by front header pipe and you could feel an exhaust leak at the cylinder head/header pipe junction

Re-seated the exhaust gasket and problem solved, quiet as a sewing machine

I never had an exhaust leak sound so much like a knock/tap before

Wish I had recorded it, but it just goes to show you that some noises can fool you for sure

Hope to add some sound clips to help your thread soon

Thanks again for a great thread idea that is sure to help people out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

no video ?, but i rebuilt a top end on a trx400fm years ago, started right up, then had the loudest knocking noise i've ever heard ?!. tore the head back off, seen the problem right off the bat !. some how ...do not know how or where from ???, a screw got sucked through the carb, into the intake, and got settled on top of the piston, and was getting hammered to death !!.  so, word from the wise, when doing top end work ?, ALWAYS MAKE SURE ALL SCREWS ARE TIGHT ANY WHERE NEAR THE CARB..AND INSIDE THE CARB !..LOL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wow that is crazy for sure you wouldn’t think it would make it through the intake valve

I rebuilt a van years ago, valve job and chains, two, it had a balance shaft.

All done and it had a rattle in the right front wheel area.  I thought for sure it was a front wheel drive axle.  That type of clacking rolling based sound. 

Taking off the hub cab I found the hub cap was two pieces, bolted or screwed together and all the screws were loose.  Rattling hub cap, that's all.

dc

• Like 2