_Wilson_™

land / property owners

this is for those who deal with trespasser's whether you own a big spread or just a few acres, curios as to what headaches, theft, destruction of property and people you have / had delt with. including Eminent Domain, and  thise who watch over land left in your responsibility by the owner, being a friend, or family memeber. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

I own 3 acres but don't have much issues. i have gathered that the guys around me are very protectice of their property as they have casually pointed out property lines and such.

• Like 1

sence some of my posted signs have been torn down, I've also marked the trees with purple paint which a warning for no tresspassing in some states , my in law sonny shackleford, has exclusive rights to be on my property, or my fathers property , was who gave me this idea, when he, and i went to look over his land, he said mark the trees with purple paint is the same as it being posted for no tresspassing, he indicated there was not a grey line if the law / twra caught a person on said property with trees / fence post / stakes around the perimeter clearly painted. 

I have had some issues in years past with trespassers, but those that have permission take pretty good watch over our property.  There's always the one who says they shot the deer on their land and then had to track it over to ours.  But all in all we have good neighbors who look after each other.

• Like 1

that's one  that gets me, most here don't miss, i have offered permission to track in the past, and always later on, i hear the deer never was located, and then to be told by a neighbor, or friend a shot never was fired, that it was a game plan just hunt on land  said tracker didnt have a right to hunt on because a big bu k was spotted. just like Andy when he pulled the trigger sitting on the road in his truck, later i heard from a friend the deer never was located, but he had an idea where it was, so while i was out gatherering  wood, i dropped the trailer, and went looking, never did find a trace of a deer, and this wasn't long after i got the news so there would have been something of deer left. 

I don't see very many trespassers on my place or on my several neighbors properties, it really has not ever become much of a problem for any of the landowners here.  We have 10 landowners (962.65  acres) sharing the same (the only way in and out) deadend road so strange vehicles rarely stand a chance of going unnoticed, especially in the fall during bird, bear & deer hunting seasons when most of the landowners are in their camps.

Most times when a strange vehicle comes way back here the driver turns around and leaves before reaching the end of the road. Some folks do stop though...and they all stop and park next to the end of my driveway where there is a turn-around spot on my property, cause the road turns into a swamp before it deadends just over the hill.... But most of those that do stop and park are out here to look at one of the two land tracts that are for sale and have been for years.... that are way overpriced. I always ride out to meet them to chat and answer their questions. Sometimes I give them a ride to the properties for sale and guide them around too (if they come across as a potential good neighbor 😃), on my Rancher. We have zero traffic on our road during winter because I do not plow the snow off of it.... so we see zero strange vehicles (other than sleds) once the snow gets deep. The realtor has my phone number so if a client of his wants to look at land for sale during winter months I meet the person out on the county road and give him a tour with my sled. 🙂

I am the primary caretaker for 5 neighboring properties. I keep the grass mowed at the nearest cabin and just check in at the others often. I store my neighbors ATVs and other valuables at my place and I maintain their batteries for them while they're not in camp. Sometimes gotta clear fallen trees or do a minor repair on a cabin whenever something happens... but mostly I serve as a set of eyeballs for my friends.

I also serve as a bear & deer hunting guide for two of my neighbors and on occasion a 3rd one also asks for my help. I'm darn good at putting folks on boocoo bear & shooter bucks. I know the game locations & their habits on these properties as well as I understand my own kitchen. 🙂

We do NOT post any signs on our properties in my area. We're a welcoming, friendly, beer & coffee drinkin' bunch of older fellahs that have learned long ago that advertising of any prohibitive intentions really sucks eggs. No one expects much in the way of cooperation from ya when they meet & greet with a poster... thats why so many folks try to slink around and hide from ya's. We believe that an invite for a chat over coffee is a more effective way to keep potential trespassers in line... and maybe even meet a new friend.... it all boils down to respect.

I'm creating & living within a cooperative and natural paradise though. I understand that many folks environments are impossible to manage as we choose to do.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Our land butts right up against a large collection of troublesome trailers/houses, so it's impossible to keep them from poaching unless I patrol it 24/7.

Mom and her brother have 100 acres right in the middle of the family farm and she leases it cheap to one of our neighboring landowners.  He hunts it with his kids, and at the same time kinda watches over the family farm and runs people off if he sees them.

Unless you can be there all the time, the best thing (IMO) to do is find someone you trust who is a die-hard hunter and give them sole permission to hunt.  That way THEY are the ones who end up doing the watching, and you don't have 100 people milling around shooting at each other.

I do have purple paint up on the trailheads (cut by trespassers) coming onto our land.  People are going to ride when I'm not out there, and I long ago gave up on the angst of trying to stop them.  I post it clearly with the hopes that when someone eventually gets hurt while on our property that I can say they were trespassing on clearly marked land if they try to sue us.   Wouldn't bother me as much if they didn't litter everywhere!

• Like 2

Unless you can be there all the time, the best thing (IMO) to do is find someone you trust who is a die-hard hunter and give them sole permission to hunt.  That way THEY are the ones who end up doing the watching, and you don't have 100 people milling around shooting at each other.

thats exactly the route i went, with sonny, and his kids, so there is always (most times) someone around if i can't be there, and i hear you being backed to a trailer park, thankfully the one living right next time my property line, and next to the other 70 acres we just purchased, she, and her husband keep a close eye out and for that, i allow them to go exploring, camping, having summer outings, horse back riding, picking blackberries, apples, pears, peaches, or  plumbs,  but no bikes or any kind. it's just them and there family, anytime something happens, i get a call via phone radio, or email. 

13 acres here that the house sits on. We deal on a regular basis with folks who think my trails are for their personal enjoyment to walk their dogs off leash, or for them to just go for a stroll on. The local high school cross country team has showed up more than once, climbing over the fence (that has the no tresspass sign on it)

ATV/Dirt bike riders several times a year, hunters this time of year really ! me off the most I think...I know where some of them come from..neighborhood way back on the back side of my property..they choose to live on a 1/4 acre lot in a subdivision, but think that my property is supposed to be their own personal hunt lodge..and they don't necessarily know which way to point their rifles..so it's possible that a 308 or 30-06 etc could come slicing through my home.. and I am often out in various places on my spread.. I keep the travel trailer, or the boats, or my work utility trailers out back..they don't know I'm out there working they just see a deer and get all excited and I might be in line of fire.

my grandkids play on a playground or in the woods...etc. so I don't consider a hunter on my property as a "hunter"  I consider them a dangerous armed stranger intruder.

I've even got video and pics of a couple guys who have more than once gone up in my personal 2 seater tree stand just to sit and dump their beer cans out on the ground..amazing!!

I've had 4 trail cams stolen over the years..violently busting into the metal security housing etc..

We keep post signs fresh, I keep my trails maintained so there's no doubt that it's not just raw woods and game trails, but rather a property and trail system that is constantly looked after by the owner.

We file reports with pictures with county and DNR when our cameras catch a tresspasser..and if we could ever catch them, we will prosecute.

if I happen to ever come up on someone ..it'll be an uncomfortable 30 mins while they lick the dirt and wait on their belly for the deputy to arrive while I hold them at gunpoint.

I'm not a bridge troll...if the neighbors want to come ride, or their kids want to play in my creek... I'm all about it..but that's people I know and love.

not like the guy and his teen son that live in the 40 home subdivision behind us that just had to go hunting on my property and take a late evening shot..so that I have 2 adult males, armed, walking around my property looking for the deer they hit but lost track of...that's when i get !  and in that case, that bad example father caught ! from me and they've not come back.

• Like 2

wow! now sounds bad, looks like the dnr would be doing more patrolling to catch those hunters, as for cross county team, i would contact the school, or board of education, I'm guilty of that myself, well me, and  few buddies used to go on another mans property after a football game (no gear, just plain cloths), and he call the school, and we were told by school staff to stop and they, then notified our parents, and that stopped that real fast!, doesn't bother me so much if a neighbor asked me to go walking etc, but once you tell them,  sure and word gets out then you have them coming out of the wood work, feelings get hurt etc, it's just not worth the trouble IMO, best to let people know where they stand when it comes to things like that, but with more, and more people moving in, trespassing will get worse, at least it has been here. have a neighbor that lives on the south side of my land land, who has a clear veiw of Dennis's cattle on my big hill and each time she thinks something is wrong (most times NOTHING) she calls Dave, he's only so happy to go check, she never called me, or Dennis, so we had a talk with her about that she's always had a big problem with being a Motor mouth (gossip) about people around here, so once people learned that, she couldn't sell her small amount of hay to be harvested, Dennis took it, just to keep it clean, and i told him, if she pulls this mess agian, i will get more involed, she's already been warned about her dogs running his cattle, but someone else took it up on themselves , and killed one, so no more issues with dogs.  

I don't own but 2.5 acres our house is on, but my inlaws have a nice amount. I have caught a guy  with my tree stand in the back of his truck in broad daylight on a sunday morning. Called DNR but they said it was a civil problem, call County. Painted the purple on trees after that because she said signs can be torn down and won't hold up in court. Purple paint seals the deal. Have had a guy walking his dogs through the property when I was hunting several times . Several times when we were going fishing and he had his dogs swimming in my inaws pond. Inlaws said at first they didn't allow him to walk his dogs, but them said he wasn't susposed to be there during hunting season. He tried to blame me for his dogs getting in some soft coyotee traps during one of our confrontations. He stole the trap and I told him good, I will let the trap owner know and he can press charges. He kindly brought it to my house and was all appologetic. After years of dealing with that prick, he and his wife divorced and they sold their house a few months ago. Before that it was another guy just hunting where ever he wanted to because"  he was told he could"  My hands are tied to do anything because my inlaws won't press charges on anyone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chevymec said:

Inlaws said at first they didn't allow him to walk his dogs, but them said he wasn't susposed to be there during hunting season. He tried to blame me for his dogs getting in some soft coyotee traps during one of our confrontations. He stole the trap and I told him good, I will let the trap owner know and he can press charges. He kindly brought it to my house and was all appologetic. After years of dealing with that prick, he and his wife divorced and they sold their house a few months ago. Before that it was another guy just hunting where ever he wanted to because"  he was told he could"  My hands are tied to do anything because my inlaws won't press charges on anyone.

my father used to be the same way till the arguing  amongst friends got worse, then started the phone calls he's did this, or was here, i told my father this is your land, make the call, choose who you wish, that's when things changed, i did this to keep TWRA out of the picture, but sadly some of the hunters called them anyways, which just caused more anger between friends, sure sounds like your in jam chevy, as for his dogs, well, if they hadn't been there, it might not have happened, i would hate if a dog gets in a trap, but trapping is what it is, he does sound like a pr--k, lol. those kind of so called men, are mostly all mouth, and usually don't last long. what he should have done is acted like a man stayed off the property, and even if his dog tangled with a trap, just take it as it is, be a man about it, sadly this country has few of them left. 

• Like 2

I only have a little over an acre, but i can say on this forum, i wouldnt be calling the police for any late night trespassers ☠️

• Like 2

I grew up on about 100 acres of family land. My dad had some dozers and built several ponds that are visible from the state highway that cuts through the land. I couldn’t count how many people we’ve had to run off from visibly posted and fenced in land! Had a 12 ft. John boat stolen, fences cut, mashed down net wire, and trash left everywhere. Worst one was a pond below my grandma’s house, had a pier and stocked with catfish. Had a few albinos in there that would eat out of your hand and some s.o.b. told a guy I know that there were some good fish in that pond. The guy told him, they don’t want anybody fishing in the pond and his response was he thought it was ok because no one was living in that house! He then told him “what do you think the fence is for?”

• Like 2

@ATC4ever oh, i have chewed a few out in the past, so bad, they didnt dare come back, lol. sometimes you just wish to stomp the ever living ---- out of them, lol. being i believe in protecting your own property, i would have to be physically touched, then it would be on, some land owners here feel just as you, and don't bother to involve TWRA, or law enforcement .... 

just shelled out a hair over 3 grand for land taxes here, my hunting rights deal payed them off, so it worked just as i figured, i wasn't really looking to make any money, but rather have a hand in hand deal, pay for hunting, and thin the deer population out and help out some farmers. plus commuters from being involved in wrecks.  

• Like 1

Paid our house/land taxes back in November. over $1400 😩. When my inlaws property taxes come in , it a tall stack.

• Like 1

1.75 acres ?? wow!  I'm at 170 (including my front lot)  just on this place,  but its still too high, as has been climbing each year. what my father pays on the rest is flat  more crazy! he has the same deal with hunting rights ... I'm not sure if the rent pays it's all, but the rental houses help also, plus cattle sells, just not happy i gave him mine to rent out, so far it's worked out good, but if prices keep going up, it will not be, a good working plan. especially ... if our crop land renter goes belly up. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Ya mean like these guys??

_storage_ (2).jpg

This is my favorite. At least he didn't steal my camera.

_storage_.jpg

EK000187.jpg

• Like 1

only got 2 acres. wish, i didn't have to put up camera's, but it is so. just the times, i aint got much, and it dont matter to some. Oh Well!!

Life in the fast lane

5 hours ago, Outnback said:

Ya mean like these guys??

_storage_ (2).jpg

This is my favorite. At least he didn't steal my camera.

_storage_.jpg

EK000187.jpg

i take it, these were  tresspass hunters on your land ? if so, I've been there  many times, now the friends / family members that pay to hunt on our land do the checking for me, they even let me get firewood off there home places (if need be) so it's a good deal for everyone. 

• Like 1

We only have 5 acres but it's surrounded by hundreds.   Only one instance in the 13 years.  Two Amish that when confronted said there were no sign so it was OK to trespass.   WRONG!  

• Sad 1

Years ago , here in Louisiana  you had to properly post your property for a trespassing charge to stick , sign every so many feet , name , address and phone number on sign, not no more , now days you are responsible  to know where you are at , everything is considered owned by someone and if you are in possession of  a firearm when caught trespassing , that is a felony charge and a Federal Court trip --- if you are on someone else's' land you are suppose to have a letter stating permission for you to be there in your possession 

• Like 3