JOSE.JIMENEZSOTO18

My Honda 420 can't stand the minimum

Minimum sensor working

If there is fuel pressure

Compression is 70 PSI

Check the electronic injection sensors and they are working, there are no reading codes, I don't know what to do anymore, not if I'm missing something, it's the first time I've had a problem like this

8 minutes ago, TBRider said:

What year is your 420?

32,000 km
The machine starts with sudden throttle pulses and when the accelerator is held down it stays on. When you fully release the throttle, it shuts off

Check the IACV valve on the top of the throttle body.  It's held on with two tamper proof screws.  I remove those with vice grips, and clean it.  When holding the IACV in your hand, when you turn the key on it should spin one way, then the other. 

Clean it thoroughly with starter fluid and then put it back on, see if it changes anything.

That IACV controls your idle, "choking" the machine when it's cold.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Check the IACV valve on the top of the throttle body.  It's held on with two tamper proof screws.  I remove those with vice grips, and clean it.  When holding the IACV in your hand, when you turn the key on it should spin one way, then the other. 

Clean it thoroughly with starter fluid and then put it back on, see if it changes anything.

That IACV controls your idle, "choking" the machine when it's cold.

The IACV works, it turns back and forth, but the atv has the problem in cold or in heat.

When the problem started the first thing I did was look for the fault codes, then check for spark, then went to the throttle body and cleaned the IACV. The ATV does not start easily, I repeat, it starts only if you give sudden movements to the accelerator and it keeps its engine to minimum, as long as you keep the accelerator a little depressed. I thought about compression, but yesterday I did the check and it gives me around 69-70, the honda manual says it is 73, therefore I do not see it very far from its standard, I rule out the compression problem. At the moment, all I need to check is the fuel system.
Although I don't know if I'm missing something

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Have you changed the fuel filter?  That would be my next step.

Done, I just cleaned the pump and it still does not work normally. Even in the organization we will have 3 identical ATVs, so change the entire fuel tank, to make it even safer and still not work well.
Do you think maybe I had an error measuring compression?
It should be noted that we have 2 machines with the same drawback and almost the same mileage.
New spark plugs, clean filter.

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me, rather than a compression issue.

Any chance you filled them up with bad gas? 

31 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Me parece un problema de suministro de combustible, más que un problema de compresión.

¿Alguna posibilidad de que los haya llenado con gas malo? 

Yeah I thought that too, but chances are slim or nil, when swapping the fuel tanks of a good ATV for a bad one, the bad one still didn't work properly, while the good atv started without any problem.
My next step will be to check the ignition system, if it doesn't resolve it, I think I'll inspect the carbon build-up inside the engine.

4 hours ago, Misterclean said:

Todavía me suena como el IACV. Límpielo mejor por segunda vez. 

Friend I thought that at first so I decided to check the throttle body sensors with the Honda manual, still not working properly, I got desperate and thinking that I could omit something in the analysis, I changed a complete throttle body just like with the pump of fuel and ironically, the same thing happened.
I am looking for help, because the truth is I am running out of options
They're still on the table: ignition system, and I don't know why, but I still haven't ruled out compression.

Find a way to check spark at the spark plug while it is running. This procedure will determine spark. Also you can spray some Carburetor cleaner in the throttle body when it is running poorly. If it runs better then it is a fuel problem. I seriously doubt it is a compression problem however there is a very small chance that a valve is sticking at higher engine speeds.

Edited by Misterclean
  • Like 1

I know it is a long shot but have You checked the

SENSOR ASSY., AIR TEMPERATURE

Part# 37880-RE1-Z01

Had a race bike last year that was having crazy start and run problems after too much time spent found the air sensor was causing the problems.

• Like 1

If you have the tester I would check the pulse generator. Also make sure the battery cables are clean and tight, these newer machines are very voltage sensitive.

• Like 4

I think your response was translated poorly.  I don't think the combustion chamber was dirty.  Please try another translation. We want to know the answer to your problem. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Misterclean said:

Creo que tu respuesta se tradujo mal. No creo que la cámara de combustión estuviera sucia. Intente otra traducción. Queremos conocer la respuesta a tu problema. Gracias.

Hello, as I mentioned before, the combustion chamber (Piston, Valves), was full of carbon. Therefore, it gave small, but very small leaks. I'm still baffled by the compression test, which was good, but that was the state anyway.

And the truth is that I checked, since I had two Honda 420 with the same problem, at the moment both are rolling. I add that, my state or city has a dry climate and a lot of dust in summer ...

Greetings from Costa Rica, my translation a little bad, but I still don't speak English very well and I have to help myself with translators and dictionaries.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JOSE.JIMENEZSOTO18 said:

Hello, as I mentioned before, the combustion chamber (Piston, Valves), was full of carbon. Therefore, it gave small, but very small leaks. I'm still baffled by the compression test, which was good, but that was the state anyway.

And the truth is that I checked, since I had two Honda 420 with the same problem, at the moment both are rolling. I add that, my state or city has a dry climate and a lot of dust in summer ...

Greetings from Costa Rica, my translation a little bad, but I still don't speak English very well and I have to help myself with translators and dictionaries.

personally ?, i think the compression is a tad on the low side.

• Like 1

Yeah, even if the compression is sufficient to run it could have worn out oil rings. This would explain the carbon and poor performance.

Anything that runs in dust a lot and has pretty high mileage is due for a new top end (piston rings for sure)!