Fishfiles

96 TRX300A Re-restoration

This 96 300 2wd  was restored a couple of years back for my son , he don't come over and ride no more and that was why it sat up , it has disc brake conversion on the front , which is pretty rare on a 2wd 300 , it got a upper job done with a TRX250A cam , snorkeled , floor boards , 2 inch lift , only one I have that still has the 300 OEM rear end , but it was gone thru with new bearings and seals and a 250 rear end is sitting on the sidelines when needed ---- the master cylinder plunger stuck when I pulled the lever , so might get it free up or need a rebuild kit or another master --- not good to let them bikes sit 

It has set up for a while and the fuel went bad in it , yesterday I took off the carb as the choke cable or plunger was stuck and found the carb  was horrible , so while in the part shed I found a carb in a zip lock marked 1995 ready to go and it looks great , so stuck that on it , took off the petcock , flushed the tank , and when I went back with the petcock and threw some gas in it , it leaked , so back to the shed and found a good petcock , then went to start it , and it didn't , at first thought it was the carb , after a shot of starting fluid and nothing , I then pulled  the plug I found it has no fire , checked fuses , and looked at the wiring for mice damage and then  looked thru my spare parts and didn't have a second gen CDI , so after looking at Partzilla and finding a new one cost $226.92 ,  I called Rick's and got one coming for $81 and she was going to give me free 4 day shipping , I added 2  day air for $17 so $98 , the cushion which is the rubber that holds the cdi is so hard I can't get the cdi out with the fender still on , so I wanted a new cdi mount and plan to cut the rubber and get the cdi out without removing the fender , Partzilla was $10 , took a shot and called Honda locally and they had one in stock , picked it up for $13.03 , so hope that brings the fire back -----96s were terrible about CDIs going out , could not  get this cdi  to do the one fire thing with the quick push of the starter button or the kick starter 

also got a new front bumper for it and going to fix them front lights , I have two LED pods to stick in it 

This one is going to be the designated yard bike , and I am going to try and keep this one  out the woods , use it to  haul the round up sprayer and the wagon , it has some ITP Mudlites which is the least aggressive tire I have and hopefully not tear up the grass too bad 

Another interesting thing , the hose for the check valve under the carb was deteriorated , I looked on Partzilla and they want $13 for each piece of the hose , $26 for the two pieces of hose , they are crazy , the hose is 3.5mm  , might be able to dig some up 

Needs a bath and some body lotion , diamond in the rough  LOL 

IMG_6976.JPG

FgMzWpm5Q9e0Z+3EC5+DiA.jpg

• Like 4

i know you have to know about this old trick for the hard rubber cdi box rubbers , thereb aggravating for sure, lol maybe try a heat gun ? Goobers cdi baking method comes to mind with that oem cdi, worth a shot. 

33 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i know you have to know about this old trick for the hard rubber cdi box rubbers , thereb aggravating for sure, lol maybe try a heat gun ? Goobers cdi baking method comes to mind with that oem cdi, worth a shot. 

Maybe a heat gun would soften up that rubber CDI cushion , it is hard as a rock , got a new one in my hand , it is soft as  a rubber band ----  don't know if I could get a heat gun in there , cause I sure don't want to take the fender off , would have to deal with the snorkel 

The way I feel about the CDI in the oven trick  , if there was moisture in the CDI and the oven does get it out and bring it back to life , then it is going to happen again as the moisture got in thru a crack or bad seal and we live in a very wet environment , everything is soaked in the morning  

Made in Japan ,  I like it ---- Iwas lucky the dealer had the part and actually saved money , paid $3 more than Partzilla , but the freight would have been more than that and might have taken 2 weeks to get it 

fullsizeoutput_da4.jpeg

• Like 1

oh i didn't account for the snorkel.  I'd still save that cdi, goobers clames to have had good results, just tossing out ideas, might be worth a try ? 

• Like 1

I have a 2wd back there I plan to set up similarly.

Already have some 2wd 420 brakes to go on it.  Stock rear end to go in it, but a 250A in case it doesn't last. 

I've got to rebuild the engine though.  LOL

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 11:16 AM, jeepwm69 said:

I have a 2wd back there I plan to set up similarly.

Already have some 2wd 420 brakes to go on it.  Stock rear end to go in it, but a 250A in case it doesn't last. 

I've got to rebuild the engine though.  LOL

A 300 2wd is a fun and easy bike to ride ,  it is not the same being in 2wd on a 4wd 300 , the 300 2wd is much lighter , turns so much easier on your arms ---it you are prepared to get wet and dirty a 2wd will go just about anywhere a 4wd will , they will float when you get off and you can walk it thru 

I am glad to know the 420 shocks will also work on a 2wd , I have 420 shocks  on my Blue 4wd and took off the lift kit , they fit perfect , I was having to pry the stock shock in place when using the lift 

• Like 3

The Made in Argentina  , Rick's MotorSport No-Limit CDI arrived , we will see it that fixes the no spark problem , boy I sure hope it does , cause if it don't  , I will never hear the end of it  , maybe I should not say anything if it don't , LOL ----- got the new cushion so if the heat gun trick works I will keep the old one as a spare , if it gives me any trouble getting the old one off , the razor knife is coming out , don't want to spend all day working on 4 wheelers , LSU plays Arkansas at 11:00 tomorrow morning , so it is going to be  5:00 o'clock some where about 9:30 tomorrow morning for the tailgater party cook out they are talking about bringing shrimp

fullsizeoutput_da7.jpeg

• Like 3

I was walking to the 300 with the CDI in my hand yesterday morning , when Granddaughter yelled " Paw Paw " , never did recover from that  or get to install and try that CDI  >>>>   just broke daylight here and I am about to give it another try 

• Like 4

I saw a 300 2wd up here for sale a few weeks ago. It was tan.

1/8" hose might be able to be crammed over that 3.5 mm nipple. 1/8 is 3.175 mm. 

Good Luck!

• Like 1

87 , Thanks for the 1/8 inch tip , I wrote it down on things to do pick " pick up some hose in 3.5mm or 1/8 " and I was at NAPA and forgot

Still never tried the Rick's CDI ,   didn't get home till after 4:30 this evening ---- the wife is off work  Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving , think I am going to do the same thing , so Friday might be my day to do some stuff for me , she will likely be shopping 

Got the new Rick's CDI installed  and it fired right up , sounds great ----- wasted  about 15 minutes pulling out the heat gun and trying to get the CDI out of the hardened rubber cushion  , I had a new cushion in hand , so wasn't going to bust up my hands and waste daylight ,   cut the old one off with a razor knife and stick the new one in ,  cutting it and getting the old one  out took about 2 minutes , hardest part is unplugging it ------- 

Changed the oil and filter , aired the tires , checked the air filter , greased the ball joints and tie rod ends , took it for a ride , was about to wash it and it was getting dark , so that can wait 

Problems to solve :

---------------------------

rear brake arm sticking , soaked it in Aero-Kroil and worked it , soaked it again and let it set 

front brake master cylinder plunger stuck in  

one front  light not working and has been flooded 

by-pass the reverse lock , if I am going to do yard work with this one , reverse lock has to go 

make a hose rack for the sprayer hose or cut 15 ft off 

You shouldn't let then ATVs sit up , worst thing for them

• Like 6

Gave her a bath

stopped at a NAPA today and didn't have the carb overflow / check valve  with me , so I ask for 3.5mm hose , closest they have is 1/8 inch ( 3,2mm ) gas hose , didn't work out , too tight , might be able to use the heat gun and warm it up and glue it on , LOL

the next size they had was 5/32 -------  they didn't have any 1/8 vacuum hose in stock  , which I think might work as it is more flexible and is  thinner wall  

Picked up a gallon of round up concentrated , wow, the price went up = $109  at Home Depot  , but this stuff is 2 1/2 ounces per gallon , might need a respiratory  

fullsizeoutput_daa.jpeg

LVRryDdkR0aC7NukbFDclA.jpg

• Like 2

Wilson , those polished rims do look great , but I have come to realize  , I am a Mudder , don't need the bling , LOL , I like spraying the rims with acid and washing it off , gets it that dull but bright look , you know me and flat black paint 

• Like 2

Carb overflow /check valve hose

Never could find the 3.5mm hose listed by Honda or the 1/8" hose suggested by 87  at any of the usual auto parts , did find 5/32 " / 4.0mm windshield wiper hose and it fits really tight , don't think it even needed clamps , the wire clamps could have gone on , but it was fighting me , so some electrical ties for added precaution 

Remember Honda wanted $13.00 + for each piece of hose on each side of that check >>>>  so don't say " you should have got OEM " , cost me about $1.00 

fullsizeoutput_dc6.jpeg

• Like 2

People are dropping from Cancer left and right near me. Same people who have been tending their fence lines for years.

Glyphosate 

It is a known carcinogen and a bad one. One guy here actually got a settlement but there are tons of class action suits around this product for a reason.

Every tool has a purpose but that is something that will never come on my property. I would look for an alternative yesterday. Even though it won't fully protect you... get a very good respirator and wear it. Long sleeves and glasses too with a shower directly afterward wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

People are dropping from Cancer left and right near me. Same people who have been tending their fence lines for years.

Glyphosate 

It is a known carcinogen and a bad one. One guy here actually got a settlement but there are tons of class action suits around this product for a reason.

Every tool has a purpose but that is something that will never come on my property. I would look for an alternative yesterday. Even though it won't fully protect you... get a very good respirator and wear it. Long sleeves and glasses too with a shower directly afterward wouldn't be a bad idea.

I have a respirator I use at work , but I have been thinking about buying a new one just for spraying -------    I am doomed no matter what , I have tasted RoundUp before from spraying as I have never wore a mask before , but this sprayer is going to shoot a stream ------   been a heavy mechanic now since 1976 so I think I have been contaminated many times before with bad stuff 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Wilson , those polished rims do look great , but I have come to realize  , I am a Mudder , don't need the bling , LOL , I like spraying the rims with acid and washing it off , gets it that dull but bright look , you know me and flat black paint 

yeah i kmow.... but this is a yard bike now, lol..... anytime you to swop, just let me know, lol. 

4 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I have a respirator I use at work , but I have been thinking about buying a new one just for spraying -------    I am doomed no matter what , I have tasted RoundUp before from spraying as I have never wore a mask before , but this sprayer is going to shoot a stream ------   been a heavy mechanic now since 1976 so I think I have been contaminated many times before with bad stuff 

We are all doomed no matter what lol I hope your time up until then is as peaceful as possible.

I also know what RoundUp tastes like and what getting it in your eyes feels like. Used to spray it with no protection in the wind when I was younger.

Hydraulic fluid is not aloe vera. Would not be at all surprised to hear that you developed a slight shake over the years.

Take care of yourself! You have the means to and there are people who are important to that who want you to stay around for as long as possible.

• Like 3

you can't always avoid chemicals when working on or around equiptment / chemicals , I've been there to. IMO chemicals aren't nearly as toxic as they used to be, some you can't even purchace any longer, without a applicators license, raising tobacco, you used some of worst chemicals / pesticides for public use, thank goodness those are  no longer available. 

• Like 2

Did I mention that I starting smoking when I was 13 , will be 63 next year , smoke at least 2 packs a day and 3 packs a day on the weekends when I am drinking , so the cancer already in my lungs laughs at Round UP 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Did I mention that I starting smoking when I was 13 , will be 63 next year , smoke at least 2 packs a day and 3 packs a day on the weekends when I am drinking , so the cancer already in my lungs laughs at Round UP 

Physically hurts to read this. Never too late to quit.

Do something else if you have to (vape, etc) but actual cigarettes... man.

Smoked for a few years myself. Have you ever switched to vape before? Smokeless?

no telling how many chemicals we've been in contact with, but you think that's the worst ? think about the radiation from your cell phone, and sat tv, every receiver out is a transceiver ( whether you kmow it not) I've lost older friends who worked as THP lawinforcent, who have been diagnosed with cancer ,because of the speed radar units used back in the day, and now they use lazors.... yer going to get a dose no matter what, might as well live a good life while you can. and not be a wuss. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yeah i kmow.... but this is a yard bike now, lol..... anytime you to swop, just let me know, lol. 

You might be onto something , yard bike got to look good , it has the base coat for the camo paint job with flat black trim , I have a new to me , very good condition front bumper and a better front rack for it 

You'll got me  " scared  " ,  just texted two of my  buddies , one sprays weed killer and bush hogs for a living and the other is a safety man for a industrial clean up company , asked what is the best protection respirator for spraying Round Up that I can get 

• Like 2

the stuff that you are using now to replace the stuff that causes cancer back then ,  is going to be found worst 20 years from now , then the stuff we were using , " It is what it is " 

• Like 1