Fishfiles

96 TRX300A Re-restoration

6 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Physically hurts to read this. Never too late to quit.

Do something else if you have to (vape, etc) but actual cigarettes... man.

Smoked for a few years myself. Have you ever switched to vape before? Smokeless?

I have vaped before , some say they say that is worst for you , I don't think it is the tobacco , it is the additives that get you 

• Like 3

they've been out lawed here. because of the same worse claims its worse  then smoking  a legit  cig, but cigars are becoming more popular especially swisher sweets. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

the stuff that you are using now to replace the stuff that causes cancer back then ,  is going to be found worst 20 years from now , then the stuff we were using , " It is what it is " 

Everything causes cancer one week and then cures it the next according to "studies" that's for sure. 

Part of my family is from California. My dad's phrase about that is...

"Known in the state of Cancer to cause California"

I love that.

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I have vaped before , some say they say that is worst for you , I don't think it is the tobacco , it is the additives that get you 

For sure. Dirty product is a problem with vape stuff.

My experience with vape and smokeless is that it's not as "good" so makes you more likely to quit but can still satisfy the urges when they are too much.

Every single person on this planet is chemically dependent on something. (caffeine, cigs, liquor etc but if not that it's exercise, food, drama or some other "high") 

Said that to say no judgement from me (should be or anyone) but being around to hear "paw paw" for years to come wouldn't be a bad thing.

Interesting turn on this thread, LOL

Wife teaches science at the local community college, has a MS in biotechnology.  She's done a lot of genetic research at the Arkansas Biosciences Institute both as an undergrad and a grad student.

Since most of my buddies farm we've had the roundup talk a few times. 

She said Glyphosate works by disrupting a pathway that exists in plants but not animals or humans.  In other words, the "it causes cancer" is just not scientifically proven, or even suggested.  That same sentiment is here https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/10/09/if-you-accept-science-you-accept-roundup-does-not-cause-cancer-13490

Of course, then she ! about how the farmers are screech about how Roundup doesn't work as well as it used to, when the farmers misusing it is WHY it doesn't work as well as it used to.  They're supposed to leave part of a field fallow.  When they farm every inch, and spray every inch, the weeds get resistant to it.  If they followed the instructions then resistance wouldn't happen, or would be much less severe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

she's right, and farmers just mix it stronger, which adds to the problem. same deal with the thinning of diesel fuel, higher ethanol content of gas, it's not like it used to be. next will be a high performance electric car that  charges it's self, lol, free energy as stated some place here, it'll never happen, and most intelligent people wouldn't have one. how bout we get back to the 96 TRX300A Re-restoration ? before fish starts on his next bike build, he's getting hard to keep up with, lol! 

• Haha 1

Wilson Quote " how bout we get back to the 96 TRX300A Re-restoration  " 

This thread is on target , I plan on using this 300 as my yard bike , spraying round up , pulling my firewood trailer , log splitter , etc , and spraying Round Up is going to be a regular chore with it , I was using a back pack sprayer and it holds 4 gallons and having to fill it 3 times to spray all the fence lines and ditches , lots of hand pumping , lots of walking around with 40 pounds on the back to start with  and doing it every other month and pretty much year round around here ---- 

going to using it soon , last weekend I  found two really sweet , straight as an arrow trees that got knocked down by the last storm , right off a easy dry trail , I will be chopping some wood and trailering it home with the yard dog ---- might do a receiver hitch set up on this 300 , all it has right now is a ball hitch on the OEM 300 hitch pad 

Got a order in today for a respirator and some replacement cartages  for the Round Up spraying 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now I don't know if this is true or not , Mr Jimmy my neighbor who passed last year , use to tell me this and it seemed to work for him , he said " you can't mix the Round Up ( or what ever brand you use )  stronger  , as you kill the plant too quick ( burn it ) and it does not have time to travel thru the plant to the roots and the plants( weeds ) come back quicker " , it seemed to work for him , takes longer for the weeds to die , but longer results ----

another thing he use to do , which I do not and don't plan to is  he would spray all around the base of his trees so he didn't have to weed eat ,  his oak trees are still alive  and he is gone , so I guess it didn't hurt the trees , I am scare to do that and stunt my trees  , what you'll think ?? 

Alright here is another question , Shade and I talked about this , I won't say what was said between us , so I can see what other ideas come up

If you have weeds growing along the fences and ditches that are high , would you spray the Round Up on the tall weeds, let them die then weed eat the area clean , or , would you weed eat first then spray the Round Up all the fences and ditches ??   

I've always round up, then weed eat.  It's absorbed through the leaves, so if you weed eat all the leaves off, you don't get as much absorption.

I'll have to ask the wife if I'm right or not.

You're spot on as far as killing/ burning the leaves.  We tried mixing paraquat and round-up when I was a teenager.  That paraquat you could watch the plant die after spraying it, but it didn't give time for the roundup to absorb, so the plant came back quickly since the roots didn't die.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I've always round up, then weed eat.  It's absorbed through the leaves, so if you weed eat all the leaves off, you don't get as much absorption.

I'll have to ask the wife if I'm right or not.

You're spot on as far as killing/ burning the leaves.  We tried mixing paraquat and round-up when I was a teenager.  That paraquat you could watch the plant die after spraying it, but it didn't give time for the roundup to absorb, so the plant came back quickly since the roots didn't die.

I am with you on the Round Up first 

Isn't it nice to have people in specialities to get advice from , and you thought this thread took a weird turn , good stuff ,  eh !! 

Sunday I was talking with one of the flea market venders , who was a Sea Bee among other Navy chores , he told me a story about Agent Orange and Gulf Port , Miss. , seems they buried a bunch of it years ago and it leak back when and everything was dying in the area , they went in and dug a   hole , incinerated all the dirt , then returned it to the hole and poured 6 ft of concrete on top and it is now the parking area for long term deployment 

• Like 1

I'm with jeep on the one spray let it soak in, the hit it with the weedeater. but now that being said the smoother the vegetation is cut off (not splintered)  the faster it will come back old farmers trick when bush hogging. use blades not so sharp, might even go burndown herbicide combo is 2,4-D and dicamba. you might have to have an applicators license, my friend who (dennis) rents my farm used something a while back, that kills all year long once in the root system, not sure if you want this fence line completely dead of growth, but I'll sure find out out what he used. 

• Like 1

The question comes to mind , if you are going to spray it before weed eating , how long should you wit and let it soak in before cutting ----- I would think about a week , cause that is about how long it takes for the grass to get really dried out , browned , dead ----another  thought I had was , once the weeds are sprayed and then you come back and weed eat , is the dust from cutting toxic  , as it could have the chemical in the clippings 

• Like 1

from what I've read 3 weeks, (( as for the dust being scattered, that's a good question )), i just spray early (when i rarely do ) and let the spray do the work, then maybe go back with a blade attachment (spreads less dust), if your talking plants that have seeds ready, roundup want kill those, a weed eater will just scatter those whether by using a string, or blade. Dave says once the weed killer drys ( way too early imo) but now I've seen farmers go back just couple days later  with a bush hog  and  cut the sprayed vegetation on crop land just after harvesting  (why some do this i dont get) unless it has to do with a late killer frost, or  maybe a cover crop is to be planted. because spraying doesn't kill the seeds, so again there just broad casting them. or for next planting season, or maybe at the land owners request for a game hunt ? 

• Like 1

my honest opinion, would be after the weeds brown / wilt, with  a slight dew so dust wont be as likely to spred very far. just try and keep that pup of y'all's clear of the sprayed weeds, i think you've spent some money on her health wise ? 

• Like 1

^^^ My wife's dog , eh !!  ^^^   The $5K pup , ate an after 1982 98% zinc penny and got zinc poison , 3 days in intensive care , tore her ACL in a armadillo hole  , laser and steroid treatments  , yearly shots and heart worm / flea and tick pills , goes to the groomer every 5 weeks or so , priceless !!! She has to sniff every blade of grass in the yard = maybe I can save on the worm pills !! 

fullsizeoutput_cad.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I'm with jeep on the one spray let it soak in, the hit it with the weedeater. but now that being said the smoother the vegetation is cut off (not splintered)  the faster it will come back old farmers trick when bush hogging. use blades not so sharp, might even go burndown herbicide combo is 2,4-D and dicamba. you might have to have an applicators license, my friend who (dennis) rents my farm used something a while back, that kills all year long once in the root system, not sure if you want this fence line completely dead of growth, but I'll sure find out out what he used. 

Big fights around here about Dicamba.  Some farmers say they need it, some have been really sloppy with it and killed a bunch of timber/people's gardens/ people's yards.

Our neighbor on the farm sprayed on a windy day years ago and killed a bunch of our trees, including a bunch of old Cypress growing in a lake down in the bottoms.  Really ticked me off.

• Like 2

i sure hate that, it's becoming harder, and harder for farmers to control weeds, being they become resistant ... and by far spraying on a windy day, is just plain ignorant ... so yes are the ones who say they have been sloppy spray while the is blowing ? if so, I'd have a problem with them to, let me ask this,  was some of this spraying done with crop dusting planes ? kind of sounds like farm land is backed right against neighboring houses, personally, if that kept going on, I'd contact the EPA, and probobly more, and think twice before living so close to crop land, that's why i always liked raising cattle ... lol the most you had to worry about was them getting out, having to pull a calf, and making sure you could keep them fed in the dead of winter. 

39 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i sure hate that, it's becoming harder, and harder for farmers to control weeds, being they become resistant ... and by far spraying on a windy day, is just plain ignorant ... so yes are the ones who say they have been sloppy spray while the is blowing ? if so, I'd have a problem with them to, let me ask this,  was some of this spraying done with crop dusting planes ? kind of sounds like farm land is backed right against neighboring houses, personally, if that kept going on, I'd contact the EPA, and probobly more, and think twice before living so close to crop land, that's why i always liked raising cattle ... lol the most you had to worry about was them getting out, having to pull a calf, and making sure you could keep them fed in the dead of winter. 

Yep, some of it was crop dusters. 

The guy went broke.  He was actually my best friend's dad growing up.  Nice guy, but not real smart.

His nephew inherited the land when the grandfather died (luckily) and it's now planted back in trees.

• Like 2

I've seen the same around here, just not many crop dusters ... but still bugs me when farmers have the local co-op come out and spray on windy days, even my father has done it before, and ended getting sick for a short time, i got on him kind of bad for spraying in that fashion .. but now as things have changed my pops crop land is rented (not mine it's cattle only) but i can't cast stones, i was just as bad when i raised tobacco, prime plus, sucker control, and weed killer, plus liquid fertilizer, i don't even have an applicators Permit any longer. and don't want one. any farmer that thinks a cab tractor or cab spray rig is safe, is not smart!  lost a good friend Walter who sprayed for a few years for the local co-op ended up with thyroid cancer that spread, due to working with those herbicides. 

I got a mask coming , buddy is hooking  me up , I just priced them for kicks , $125 and $12 per cartridge , so if I wear long sleeves and gloves , do it on a day with no wind , take a shower right after and wash my clothes and the mower right after wards , I might be OK , LOL 

fullsizeoutput_dc9.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I got a mask coming , buddy is hooking  me up , I just priced them for kicks , $125 and $12 per cartridge , so if I wear long sleeves and gloves , do it on a day with no wind , take a shower right after and wash my clothes and the mower right after wards , I might be OK , LOL 

The science types are probably right and it doesn't even affect humans. I know there are some payouts over it and I would think there is good reason for a big company to be letting go of any money. Always skeptical of "scientific" results nowadays... comes down to who pays for the study. I am not someone who claims to know either way.

Seems like doing the non-joke parts of what you described is not a bad thing... even if all it's actually doing is filtering dust.

• Like 2

Me joke ??? Com'on'man !!! Between you'll and late night TV law suit adds , you'll really did scare me !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

yeah, i think you'll be okay with those choices, but it's not going to be easy to smoke with that mask on.... lol i recall a few screaming talstar p was a hazard to pets humans local water ways, and fish.... just another ace, lol! just wait till they have the effects of Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock)

16 hours ago, oh400ex said:

The science types are probably right and it doesn't even affect humans. I know there are some payouts over it and I would think there is good reason for a big company to be letting go of any money. Always skeptical of "scientific" results nowadays... comes down to who pays for the study. I am not someone who claims to know either way.

I've seen a case here where a guy raped a woman, DNA evidence was collected, the same scumbag raped and killed a woman in LR (that made major headlines as she was a news anchor), so they had matching DNA evidence from both scenes.

Locally he wasn't convicted.  The people on the jury weren't convinced that DNA evidence was absolute proof.  Read down to the bottom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Pressly

When we had a proven case of voter fraud here a few years ago, the prosecutor wouldn't charge the woman (a "community organizer") because he said he would never get a conviction here because the jury wouldn't convict someone they know or someone like them (racial, unfortunately).

Point being, all you need is a sleazy lawyer and stupid/ uneducated/corrupt jury and payouts are forthcoming. 

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of how stuff may or may not react with my body, but that's what me wife studied for 10 years, so when she rolls her eyes and says "BS" over stuff like Roundup causing cancer then I trust her.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of how stuff may or may not react with my body, but that's what me wife studied for 10 years, so when she rolls her eyes and says "BS" over stuff like Roundup causing cancer then I trust her.

I would trust the people who are closest to me as well. Especially when they have experience in the field and I don't. I'm not saying she is wrong because I don't know.

~10.1 Billion USD in payouts by Bayer/Monsanto specifically over RoundUp.

I know for sure only one thing... it makes me feel sick when I breathe it and I will do what I can to mitigate contact with the stuff.

Being extra cautious in case of danger is usually a pain but a good idea.

35 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

I would trust the people who are closest to me as well. Especially when they have experience in the field and I don't. I'm not saying she is wrong because I don't know.

~10.1 Billion USD in payouts by Bayer/Monsanto specifically over RoundUp.

I know for sure only one thing... it makes me feel sick when I breathe it and I will do what I can to mitigate contact with the stuff.

Being extra cautious in case of danger is usually a pain but a good idea.

Yeah, I'm certainly not suggesting we bathe in it, or, as I've seen some farmers around here do, drink it (to prove that it wasn't harmful), but I go out and spray my patio and sidewalks with it in shorts and flipflops.  Gotta die of something, right?

• Like 2