toodeep

Plow talk

I've been bragging on Moose plows for years and have had good luck with them on the 4 wheeler. I went bigger and put it on a bigger machine (my bigred) and the Moose just isnt stout enough. What all different plows has everyone tried, especially one a sxs? I'm thinking of trying the Denali pro next.

I'm on my 3rd season with my current moose. I thought I had it fixed enough to get through the season. The first real push proved me wrong. Good thing I still have my 60 inch to take parts off of. 

20191204_171221.jpg

20191204_192034.jpg

• Like 1

My kolpin has been ok through the season so far. Need to make a couple adjustments, but overall pleased with it.

TooDeep , I got this little 16HP tractor for $300 , it came with a bunch of three point attachments like plow , row maker , disc , etc , spent a few bucks getting it back to shape and adding a starter /generator , use it mostly for grading out the rock driveway ---- it is some huge and  powerful for such a small tractor , the transmission holds 8 quarts of oil ----Retro has one almost exactly the same 

fullsizeoutput_3f9.jpeg

• Like 2

The little tractors are good but they’ll never move what a UTV will unless you get into a Sub Compact IMO. 

I’ve seen that BOSS makes a pretty nice plow for them but expect to pay for it. A lot of guys are running Warn plows now but I have not seen them on a SxS yet. 

I'm just runnin a beefed up home made one, bought the blade, made the rest myself. It looks like you might need to just beef up your mount. Maybe weld some angle iron on the flatbar braces... and it looks like a weld failed from the pic..

Edited by TBRider

I do have a tractor/loader but the sxs is faster as long as it's not too deep. This blade took a lot of abuse last year. Mid March we had plenty of snow on the ground and had a 3 day melt. Day 4 it started raining and the floods started. That night everything started turning back to ice and snow. It was a mess.

I had to use my poor man press but I got everything straight again and welded up. I'm guessing that piece got weak during all the abuse and just finally failed. The metal they use today is just junk. All the holes with a pin or pivot bolt is worn and everything is loose. 

20191001_173728.jpg

20191001_175033.jpg

20191001_193154.jpg

20191001_192756.jpg

• Like 1

This is what my main road to get to town looked like. My 2 other routes out looked about the same and the last one was iffy at best but passable. Without being able to see the damage to the roads from the flooding I used the sxs to clear paths (one neighbor has a nurse that comes out daily to help them). The pictures don't really show the chunks of ice very well but they was big enough and heavy. 20190314_115540.thumb.jpg.33dca0ee1b4466a4213fa680c298af7c.jpg

Screenshot_20190314-190824_Snapchat.thumb.jpg.be7e8a4fcae25dce6120674fdcc50128.jpg

Another spot a couple miles away by the family farm.

20190316_185336.thumb.jpg.f488b3839f99231d0a5025f769ef9453.jpg

honestly if you bent the moose plow blade and frame like that NOTHING else is going to work for you any better

moose has the strongest blade on the market and the frame, WOW<  the tings I have done to mine and have NOT been able to even  cause anything like hat you have, and I have honestly abused mine to no end, I have pushed  all sorts of things Not just snow, from concrete slabs, to torn up pavement, hundreds of tons of it too, not just a little here or there

IMO the issue is, SPEED< you making some serious impacts when you add speed to things that are hard or solid, and  minus a dozer blade, or a one heck of a HD< tractor grader like blade, your going to bend things  still

if you add speed, even that stuff will bend

them BIG ice chunks, will bend or break  even hardened steel, ever watch Gold Rush and watch what perma frost does to rippers on dozers and excavators?
 it will snap em off!

honestly that moose plow set up you had will be the strongest ATV /UTV/SXS set up there is, and there plow again is the thickest steel out there

your going to have to look into more tractor  grader blades or dozer blades if you want thicker/stronger

maybe one off a skid steer?

example of what I used my plow for, thats about 45 ton oif broken up pavement pushed down a hill used as back fill!

didn;t even really scratch paint on blade!

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

008.JPG

I was thinking a little here

something you can do to stiffen up the plow blade would be to add a much larger thicker wear bar across the bottom

and on the adjustment place where things mount and plow angle adjusts

but as for the mount where plow attaches and angle is adjusted

A good machine shop I am sure can make you one out of thicker metal if you wished, 

but you might end up bending the ! out of your frame from hitting things, , as if plow does't bend, something else will maybe?

Still really happy with my kolpin 60" setup, had to put a rachet strap around my front rack and loop it under front plastic to avoid tire rub( ITP mudders). It would rub ever so slightly on left turns, so instead of destroying the plastic, it provides enough stability where it doesn't touch with plow in the air. Overall the setup really is nice from a plow standpoint and would recommend it. Had to fiddle with the turnbuckle, finally have it dialed in so my 12 yr old can easily lift the plow(manual lift)and clean the drive if it snows when I'm away. Manual lift is something I went with because I only use the quad for plowing and yardwork, and the occasional trailride.

I like the winch when smoothing my gravel drive or other things like that.  You can lift it just enough to not dig or feather it out. 

Plow got a work out today and I'm just guessing the normal bent pins is the only damage.  @mrbb the mount bracket is pretty weak on the bigred (nothing like on the 4 wheelers) son8 dont worry about frame damage. The BR frame is pretty stout to begin with. 

I think if it makes it through the winter I will rework this one to make it withstand the pressures I give it. If it doesnt the Denali looks pretty tough in the pics so I might give one of those a try.  

I have a WARN 54 inch plow on my 07 Foreman 500, works great for snow.  Snow can get too heavy with buildup, but usually melts before too much buildup.  Have plowed 10 years, replaced the shoes a while back and wear bar this year.  

Usually not a lot of snow here, no ice chunks like toodeep's 

Looks liken you guys ask a lot of your little ATV plows lol. I have one sitting in the shed, an old Kimpex setup, for the 350 Rancher we have. I have the mount to put it on a 300 also. Haven't used it in years. We usually use a tractor. Actually setting up a 120hp Challenger tractor now with a plow mount and 10ft snow blade.

looks like my setup except mine is your baby brother just a 48", nice looking

• Like 1

I have always had Warn plows. Only on my second one now. First one sold with my old 2006 350 Bruin and was still good as new. Here is a picture of my new one. 

AD24D5BA-046B-4FE3-B1F9-200A71D0BA3B.jpeg

53E6DAE4-25B5-4A49-900D-D4F6550A239A.jpeg

0091840D-03DC-4C02-A973-4F13707907EA.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice.  Mine is just a straight plow, I have to angle it both ways, to left, to right.....or straight

I like your utility box, much better than the one I built. 

What are the two tubes, left side of your box for?  I have slots cut in mine for my string trimmer and brush cutter

36 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Nice.  Mine is just a straight plow, I have to angle it both ways, to left, to right.....or straight

I like your utility box, much better than the one I built. 

What are the two tubes, left side of your box for?  I have slots cut in mine for my string trimmer and brush cutter

Those 2 tubes are my chainsaw wrench’s that came with my 2 chainsaws. The screwdriver shafts are in drilled holes. They stay in place nicely. The osb board on the front of the box lifts out, it just sits in slots on the side, by lifting it out I can then remove the seat with ease if needed. I can fit 2 chainsaws gas and bar oil in it, or 3 five gallon pails. My plow can be angled left or right also. 

Edited by 01RUBY500
  • Like 1

OK thanks. 

My whole box lifts off when not needed or to remove the seat.  Made a "friction fit" on the rear rack to hold in place.  

are the Moose plows for Utv more stout that the reg ATV plows?

I think the push tubes are a little more beefy that the ATV plows but wondering if the turn table and the plows are the same or beefed up more?

this just from looking at Pics of the push tube's I've not looked at the in person.

I have had to redue the cross brace on my Moose plow and the pin mounts through the Push tubes as well.  its a 02 Moose 60" plow.

im on the 2nd cutting edge as well.

Push tubes are heavier but that's about it. They did redesign the plows from the old ones for all and they look heavier built. I have all summer to think about (unless some specials come out) it but i think I'm going to try a Denali next.

I've only owned one plow for my '07 Foreman.  It is a WARN, bought '08, it has taken abuse and still good.  Just sayin

Also just looked at the Denali lineup, toodeep, and it looks ruggedly built at good pricing

Edited by Dennis
Just more info

Getting ready to throw my plow back on. Anyone plowed any snow yet? Here in Upstate we have only had a couple flurries.

• Like 1