toodeep

Plow talk

Have had the backup plow on since August but that was for dirt work and such.  Its my mini bull dozer so to speak and that blade takes a beating on things.

Have had 3" of snow yesterday with rain today so I just let the rain take care of it.

Just getting a snow fall now, might have to put the plow on the bike for the winter

have a question for you guys who plow a lot. What type of switch do you have on your winch? my factory switch lasted less than one season, replaced it with a "heavy duty" 15 amp toggle switch, it didn't last much longer. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, shrade said:

have a question for you guys who plow a lot. What type of switch do you have on your winch? my factory switch lasted less than one season, replaced it with a "heavy duty" 15 amp toggle switch, it didn't last much longer. Any suggestions?

I have a Warn winch with their rocker thumb switch. No problems with my last machine for 10 years. New machine and winch have 5 years on them and no trouble. Are you hooked up to the low voltage side of the contactor or the main winch power supply?

I've got the old school round contact switch, replaced it 4 years ago, it was 16 years old....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shrade said:

I have the original WARN,10 year old switch came with the WARN plow

Thanks for the response guys, . PROV I am hooked up to the low voltage side, not the main power supply. Will get to town tomorrow and try and find a Warn Switch

1 hour ago, shrade said:

Thanks for the response guys, . PROV I am hooked up to the low voltage side, not the main power supply. Will get to town tomorrow and try and find a Warn Switch

Sounds good. It mounts on the handlebar right above my left grip. Nice to run winch with one thumb and throttle with the other.

I finally got it done and got a Denali plow (uncle trumps stimulus is spent). Built a lot heavier, easier to hook up and a lot more clearance.  A couple small test on it but I think it will outlast the moose. The pins alone made me happy as I bent them every push. I got some use out of my hoard of snatch blocks also.  The website wasn't specific enough on machines with lifts but a couple mods fixed that. It wouldn't sit flat when angled without the extention. 

20210124_175540.jpg

20210122_215738.jpg

20210122_215731.jpg

20210122_215719.jpg

20210106_154722.jpg

• Like 5

I figured I'd share. It's not on the Honda but man does this thing move the snow!! I've had several other plows over the years and after seeing this I was a little apprehensive on how it would perform but I was presently surprised. Angle is easily adjusted and the connecting and disconnecting works flawlessly. I don't even have to bend over to attach anything except the winch hook. 

Quad is a 2013 Canam Renegade 800r Xxc that is just shy of 700 some pounds and that doesn't include the driver. I should mention I first got this in 2017 and have replaced the edge twice. 

20171217_223319.jpg20171217_140508.jpg

20171217_140501.jpg

Edited by Akunin
  • Like 4

I was thinking about replacing the cutting edge on mine, but I remembered I had 2- 2lb rolls of mig wire so I just built up the edge with that, I'll take it to a friend's in the summer and run a couple passes of hard surface rod.

Edited by TBRider
  • Like 3

I put a used plow on the new 86 instead because i want to run that rig some more.

actually found a NOS Cycle Country mount kit (15-1540

The bumper is mounted higher that the accessory bumper on my other quad. more slack—makes adjustments easier. But the push tube still held by the big old punkin on these Chili Peppers 

this manual plow kit (cycle country made two in ‘90s) is for later model quads that were higher and wider. So on this later model the lift handle interferes with the quad handlebar grip. 

Drive over

Pin in the push tube (used old axe handle to lift the tube ends)
Set the float, then the lift lock

675F5EE3-FF6B-4384-8440-5EB96C5BE604.jpeg

1B090D8C-8D8E-4B8C-A381-6B6548C7D397.jpeg

70D3B09A-DCF7-4085-91DA-068A0DA461AD.jpeg

BE72E4AE-6055-4BC7-ADEA-67D18F0A3EF9.jpeg

B2837A48-C938-4B8A-9DA6-D2776908B7DC.jpeg

44B2368A-5928-4A0A-B717-CB06C21CAD3C.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 3

Goober looks just like the one I got when I bought my 98 450ES, easy hookup for sure...

• Like 2