BlueSparrow

How much would you pay for a 2009 Trx420 Fourtrax?

There is a second hand one for sale I'm looking at, it seems like it is in good condition, and has 120 hours recorded as use.

120 hours in 11 years seems incredibly low, I wonder if there is a way of changing the hours on the machine? It almost seems unbelievable.

Edited by BlueSparrow

Certainly not unbelievable.

I have seen older bikes with less hours. If it is farm ridden and not that often they can stay very low.

4WD vs 2WD / Foot vs ES and other options not mentioned change the value significantly.

Electric shift for example is something I would never buy. If it was free... I'd trade it.

~$2500 USD is about the most I could see paying for 4WD FS even if it was in showroom-perfect condition.

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

i would do more research / reading in the forums , (ranchers are known for being a  problematic atv) before choosing a rancher, not one of honda best utlity atv's, from what ive read, i would also check with AKATV, about the chance the the numbers have been tampered with. i think the subject has come up before. 

• Like 1

The Hondas seem to hold their value pretty well up here in Montana.  My brother had  a 2012 ES Rancher with almost 6000 miles on it, he had put Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires on it and had run those for 5 years. The thing even puffed smoke a little bit on occasion,  he owned it for 6 years,  paid over 5000.00, and sold it for 4450.00. I had two 2013 Ranchers that were foot shift, with no speedometer or hour meter on them and sold both of them for over $4500 each. I guess just look it over extremely well, pull the dipstick, I would think you'd be able to tell asthetically whether it's been used hard or not. I bought both my Ranchers for under 3500.00, one of them for 3200.00 it had not been treated very good and took it in and had the top end redone and cleaned them both up asthetically. Changed all the fluids as soon as I got them and then at the end of each riding season during the time I owned them. Generally if people beat them up you should be able to see if it was mistreated. 

• Like 3

It was only a 2WD I presumed it was a 4WD, I hate when people don't put full details in adverts.

Second hand prices for Honda ATVs are a bit crazy here in the UK, I recently saw a 2005 Honda trx350 fourtrax with semi-functioning clutch sell for the equivalent of 2500 USD.

Honda ATVs that don't work seem to sell for good prices, I think people buy them strip them apart and then resell all the good parts, so they will pay a good amount for any broken Honda quad as they will make a lot of money selling off the parts that are still in good condition.

BlueSparrow,

I sure know what your talking about when people don't list full details. I drove 500 Miles (8hrs) to buy a Honda Rancher, got there she pulled the cover off and there sat a 2 wheel drive machine. The pics she posted didn't show the Ieft side of the machine so just assumed it was what she said it was. I had specifically asked her if it was 4 wheel drive and she told me that it was. She didn't even know what she had. I was not a happy camper. Long way to drive for nothing!!!

• Like 1

She had a great description, and a lot of details, great pics, she honestly didn't know what she had. She had divorced and it was her husband's and she ended up with it. 

you always ask tons of questions, and as many  close up  pics as you can get them to take, but all in all it's a chance deal. 

especally if the person your going to deal with knows very little to nothing about atvs. 

Yeah,  screwed up on that one. Fortunately was able to see my niece in Boise just another 35 Mike's down the road. Won't ever make that mistake again 🤪

12 hours ago, BlueSparrow said:

It was only a 2WD I presumed it was a 4WD, I hate when people don't put full details in adverts.

Honda ATVs that don't work seem to sell for good prices, I think people buy them strip them apart and then resell all the good parts, so they will pay a good amount for any broken Honda quad as they will make a lot of money selling off the parts that are still in good condition.

glad you caught the scam ? sadly parting out a fixable honda atv, is becoming more popular, and  finding parts to fix them is getting harder to do with locating oem parts plus the cost, now a days more, and more of us are storing up on oem parts. also, post us the add plus all the pics if you can. the more detail the better. 

On 11/20/2020 at 1:40 PM, BlueSparrow said:

There is a second hand one for sale I'm looking at, it seems like it is in good condition, and has 120 hours recorded as use.

120 hours in 11 years seems incredibly low, I wonder if there is a way of changing the hours on the machine? It almost seems unbelievable.

My farmer friend wants to sell his 2015 Foreman TRX500FM2 in camo with 35 miles. He wants $6925.
He wanted to sell the 08 TRX500FPM i serviced for $3925, but liked what i did with it—decided to sell the new one!

• Like 3