Fishfiles

Fish

3 hours ago, Tim-ANC said:

Meh, pole fishing 

20200726_122542.jpg

20200726_110708.jpg

Tim , what kind of fish are you'll catching ? 

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Tim , what kind of fish are you'll catching ? 

Red (sockeye) salmon. Our family limit is 65 per year.

@AKATV do you dipnet?

• Like 2

Been know to  dip the net now and again lol Ice fish too!

Notice the old TRX200 back in the day.... it was my boys

Had the TRX350 and 300 Fourtrax on the ice with son ice fishing....-good times...

11.JPG

DSC00097.JPG

Picture 009.jpg

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 10

I just bought a new catfish rod and reel. I’m gonna be in deep mud if I don’t balance out my collection of stuff so i put some info in the trade/sale place.

cant wait to get this gear in the water:

Whisker Seeker Chad Ferguson FMJ baitcast rod with an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur CT7000 catfish special. I also got a Whisker Seeker tackle sampler.

https://whiskerseeker.com/shop/

• Like 1

Last year’s fishing trip i learned a lot! We’re used to fishing for trout and bass—we got 25 channels. river was flowing high and fast —I should have better fished the slack water.

tackle we had was too light. I also misused my new King Kat reel by throwing out heavy bait, breaking the bail. I’ll fix that bail somehow.

stringers we had were too small. We lost about 5 bigguns. so i got the heavy duty Rapala metal stringer rated to 300 lbs. $22.

I wanted that Chad Ferguson gripper. i was using a Pike gripper last year but it was barely big enough. Those cats were biting down pretty hard on me—rubbed the skin off the base of my thumb.

i had a great food supply and a nice cleaning kit. Coolers of ice, kitty litter bucket filled with gloves, bags, knives, headlamp. All packed on ATV.

Edited by Goober
  • Like 4

On 3/20/2021 at 10:25 AM, Melatv said:

I like the setup in the second video 

Those are called pillow traps , there is also another way to catch them , deep water nets 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AKATV said:

Been know to  dip the net now and again lol Ice fish too!

Notice the old TRX200 back in the day.... it was my boys

Had the TRX350 and 300 Fourtrax on the ice with son ice fishing....-good times...

11.JPG

DSC00097.JPG

Picture 009.jpg

Nice! Looks like Kasilof river though that red is big enough to be a Kenai. 

Dabbled in ice fishing a few times. Hand crank ice auger is no fun. Then my boys started riding (breaking) wheelers, so that sucked up all my winter free time 😄

I love icefishing. Fishing all year except hunting season really. These lake trout are a hoot to fight.

IMG_2881.JPG

• Like 6

My Whisker Seeker stuff arrived; got my rod and reel loaded up and ready to practice throwing a baitcaster. 
they sent me a 57-piece tackle box that had everything except sinkers, which is fine. I have plenty of sinkers except need to get some no-roll and coin type.

7637757B-2663-428E-8AD1-8A612763093E.jpeg

• Like 2

Not that I needed more rods and reels  , by any means , as I have about 75 reels and at least 50 rods for every type of fishing  , but last weekend , I couldn't resist and picked up a Mitchel 306 spinning reel ,  Made in France from the 60s in excellent condition and a Penn Mariner 49 narrow spool reel which is a great reel to use lead core line on for  trolling  , got them both for $10 out a five gallon bucket full of reels that a lady had at the flea market ,  just finished taking them both apart , cleaning and re-greasing them ----I'll never fish with that 306 ,  the  old 306 is kind of special to me as it was the reel my Dad first took me fishing with , he used the Mitchel 300s for specks and the 306s for the reds , we use to go by boat to a island off the coast called Point Chico , which has washed away 30+ years ago , fished for bull redfish in the 40 pound class , using sliding corks and live crabs , man was that fun days -----   I can remember Dad had a friend from the Army that was stationed in Belgium and he use to get the Mitchels shipped to him for all his friends , before they really became easily available here ------  I used Diawa for a long time , then went with and stuck with Shimano   , now days a Shimano Stella goes for  $1,200 plus 10% tax  for a spinning reel , times have changed 

• Like 3

306 re-grease video , a old school reel built with simplicity  -------    that Shimano Stella I mentioned above for $1,200 has 14 bearings in it , $100 a bearing , LOL 

• Like 1

I too like the Shimano.  El Cheapo me buys up the Syncopate models when I see them.  The Quickfire models that everyone seems to hate are my favorite for cast and retrieve lure fishing.

There's a few older Mitchell models that came from my late Father in Law here too.

• Like 2

Yesterday my riding buddy Vic bought this 2007  SeaSwirl 17 foot with a Yamaha 115 from my neighbor for $2,000 , it has a depth finder , radio , and all the accessories in it , we hooked an external tank with fresh fuel in it and got it started on the hose , I told him I would drain the tank as it has not been run in two years ------  I think it will clean up nice --- he is giving it to his kids to ski with , it has a nice removable ski pole built into the boat , not in the pic  

1Mi%yAgGRl2fI1WX+Er8PQ.jpg

%GA0tDDGQbGWVXFQWZiafA.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I too like the Shimano.  El Cheapo me buys up the Syncopate models when I see them.  The Quickfire models that everyone seems to hate are my favorite for cast and retrieve lure fishing.

There's a few older Mitchell models that came from my late Father in Law here too.

I used the Shimano Symetre , the 4000 is a nice size for speckled trout and small to medium redfish  

image.png

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

I used the Shimano Symetre , the 4000 is a nice size for speckled trout and small to medium redfish  

image.png

Our riverbank rigs are FG 4000 on a one piece M/H action Ugly Stik.

• Like 1

Just now, 56Sierra said:

Our riverbank rigs are FG 4000 on a one piece M/H action Ugly Stik.

I loved the Ugly sticks back in the day  , still do , but no life time warranty no more , my choice of Ugly Stick is the Intercoastal  , have a lot of Fenwicks , Berkleys , old school Eagle Claws and South Bends ---- many years ago my ex-brother was going to marry the daughter of the nicest Sporting Goods in New Orleans , he was with her for 10+ years , stupid him broke up with her  , my other brother in law owned a sporting goods , I had the connection on stuff 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I loved the Ugly sticks back in the day  , still do , but no life time warranty no more , my choice of Ugly Stick is the Intercoastal  , have a lot of Fenwicks , Berkleys , old school Eagle Claws and South Bends ---- many years ago my ex-brother was going to marry the daughter of the nicest Sporting Goods in New Orleans , he was with her for 10+ years , stupid him broke up with her  , my other brother in law owned a sporting goods , I had the connection on stuff 

I think mine purchased last year are a watered down lifetime warranty.   Pay 10 bucks with original receipt and you get a replacement.   Probably have to send the old one back at my expense and pay $29.99 S&H for the new one.

• Like 2

Trout season opened yesterday here.  Today I caught 10 trout including this Palomino (Golden Trout) on a waxworm.

IMG_0753.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/14/2021 at 11:10 AM, LedFTed said:

welcome to the new world, i forget what song that was.. nevermind.

nevermind

Edited by LedFTed

For walleye I use St. Croix rods and Shimano Symetre reels. I like Daiwa Sealine line counter reels for downrigging or longline trolling. Baitcasters are Abu C-5's.

• Like 2

It's official.   Crappies are biting in Ohio.  Water temps were 56*F at 10:30 am and got up to 60 on the surface after the sun came out.

Nothing aggressive or large but the old blue and white tube tail caught 4 Crappie and one each Bluegill and Largemouth. 

It was good to get out.

20210407_114340.jpg

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

It's official.   Crappies are biting in Ohio.  Water temps were 56*F at 10:30 am and got up to 60 on the surface after the sun came out.

Nothing aggressive or large but the old blue and white tube tail caught 4 Crappie and one each Bluegill and Largemouth. 

It was good to get out.

20210407_114340.jpg

Maybe it is the angle of the picture ,  that looks like a huge  crappie 

49 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Maybe it is the angle of the picture ,  that looks like a huge  crappie 

Oh trust me.  It had to have been multiple things like the camera angle, planet alignment and burning incense to make that itty bitty Crappie look anywhere near big.  I think maybe 7-8 inches max.