Fishfiles

Fish

So we took the boats out fishing this morning. 37 degrees and a 20mph north wind with some snow flakes. 2 hours of that was enough and back to the cabin.

• Like 4

Here at the river. Built a tube frame rod holder out of ABS. Holds everything beautifully! Caught almost 20 catfish myself!! We cleaned about 40 fish, ate some din and now unwinding with a canned espresso, a beer and a Snappy Tom to ward off muscle cramps. 
I'm parked on a gravel bar catching one after the other. Ave weight 5 lbs

1EAEBA6A-9422-4BF5-80FC-92777A4D83FD.jpeg

• Like 4

We caught 47 first day, over 53 yesterday.

i got into a group of Blue cats—caught the most, the biggest (9 lbs) and the highest average weight. Had at least four fish get off the stringer.

That Whisker Seeker tackle is awesome stuff.

• Like 3

I've been spending nearly every evening fishing off a small pier at our campground located on Bon Secour Bay in Mobile Bay.  I'll catch Croakers in 2# line and hook them on the 30# braided 7' medium heavy Ugly stik for Cats.  Last night someone fishing at the corner where I catch the Catfish immediately pulled in their line when I approached.  It's know that I pull in the fish from that spot.  I felt bad so tonight a kid about 15 came down to watch.  No rod.  Told him if he had a rod I'd set him up.  He came back with a 6# test rig.  While setting his drag  and getting him baited up I had a bite on my rod.  Told his Mom who came back with him to go ahead and catch it.  She landed a 25.5" cat.  Young son managed to bring a nice one right up to the pier before he let his rod get too straight and the cat broke his line.  OK, set up my rig for him and he caught his first fish.  A 24 inch Catfish.   I have successfully converted another kid to the good side.

20220101_191805.jpg

20220101_191758.jpg

20220101_191604.jpg

• Like 6

Nice story 56 !!!!

I used to like to stop at the flea market in Foley , is it still there and kicking  ?? 

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Nice story 56 !!!!

I used to like to stop at the flea market in Foley , is it still there and kicking  ?? 

I recall seeing an indoor flea market in Foley on the way through.  Is that the one?  I'll look in to it and see if they are still open.  Looks like an interesting place to visit. 

16 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

I recall seeing an indoor flea market in Foley on the way through.  Is that the one?  I'll look in to it and see if they are still open.  Looks like an interesting place to visit. 

Got to be , it is in Foley , been a couple of years since I have been , it was a really good one , 2nd exit coming from Louisiana , turn to the coast head towards Gulf Shores , big place ,  it is in the shape of a X , food court in the middle -----  the flea market in Mobile is the Mac Daddy of Flea Markets if you like that kind of thing  

17 minutes ago, Goober said:

Missus got me a de-liar and catfish tackle box from Whisker Seeker Tackle. Looking forward to early June catfishing.

https://whiskerseeker.com/

Got to ask , what is a de-liar ??? 

53 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Got to ask , what is a de-liar ??? 

I got a new digital scale. Zebco pocket fish scales were named De-Liars. 

this orange fish lifter is pretty easy to use! Genius!

3A3E9E49-E47E-480B-8088-875DD284ED4A.jpeg

4BCEF5AD-C759-4871-831B-48293EC140E1.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a couple of those scales , one  was my Dad's , they been around for 70 years  ,  never knew the name of them , you  learn something new every day , if you don't your not living 

• Like 1

I knew exactly what a de liar was.  Us little kids got my dad one for father's day many years ago.

Quiz for you guys - Do you know how the name Zebco came to be?

59 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

zebco = Zero hour bomb company 

Correct!! Did you know it or Google it?

49 minutes ago, PROV said:

Correct!! Did you know it or Google it?

I  knew it , but forgot it , had to  Google it 

Did you know that Mitshitbitzu means 3 Diamonds , and was the engine builder of the Zero's that bombed Pearl Harbor 

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I  knew it , but forgot it , had to  Google it 

Did you know that Mitshitbitzu means 3 Diamonds , and was the engine builder of the Zero's that bombed Pearl Harbor 

I did not. Learn something every day. Just wish I could remember it all. 😁

• Like 2

the owner of that company took pleasure in chopping off an US POW's head, with a sword, because he was to old to serve. 

6 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

the owner of that company took pleasure in chopping off an US POW's head, with a sword, because he was to old to serve. 

what company 'ted ? 

Mitshitbitzu. though i thought it was spelled different.

Edited by LedFTed

The Japanese Zero A6M was built by a division of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries by the engine was a Nakijima Sakae 14 cylinder twin row radial engine.

11 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

The Japanese Zero A6M was built by a division of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries by the engine was a Nakijima Sakae 14 cylinder twin row radial engine.

Cool ^^^  ---  so technically only  the plane was Mitsu , the engine was  Nakijima ( Naked-Pajamas ) 

I know that my 82 Bronco with a 351M swop out , would ping ( pre-ignition denotation ) on regular fuel , an old hot rod guy in New Orleans , Jake's Speed Shop , hooked me up with a Holley water injection set up on top my carb , it injected a mist of water at wide open  throttle and stop the ping , he told me the technology was developed by the Japs for the Zero , when the Zero dove it would ping 

I don't know if the Japs were the first to use water injection but the US did extensively on blown or supercharged aircraft engines.   Ignition could be advanced more once the water/alcohol mix was introduced.  My Dad worked or radials during the Korean war.  IIRC he said it allowed more igntion advance and cooled the combustion chamber to prevent pre ignition. 

The Zero was a good airplane but was a flaming coffin of death once the Allies learned tactics to successfully dogfight it.  Hit and run instead of engagement that required turns.   The A6M also didn't do well at higher speeds without boosted controls.  Like I said  once we learned they had no armor or self sealing fuel tanks they lost the advantage.  I think the Zero would have been a real pilots dream to fly as long as the airspeeds were kept down.  So, to keep on topic, that is why many Japanese fighter pilots became fish food in the Pacific. 

• Like 1