Fishfiles

Fish

Went lake trout fishing in Canada last weekend. Lots of fun.

IMG_20220116_115146085.jpg

IMG_20220116_123936895~2.jpg

IMG_20220116_120251840.jpg

IMG_20220114_120616477_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

@56Sierra , did your ever try this

I have not.  Looks like fun until someone gets a trident in the foot.  That would be me.  Self inflicted. 

• Haha 2

I used to gig for fish in the springtime when the fish were spawning in the creeks.  If you time it right there will be plenty of fish in the riffles.  I really need to go again because I've read that if you pressure cook suckers it will soften the bones and you can cook them like salmon patties.  I'd like to can some of them.

The first time I took my oldest son gigging we got into a lot of suckers.  He wasn't very old and he went into a frenzy of trying to gig them all.  His up and down stabbing was like a semi-auto rifle being fired several times.  It's a wonder that none of us got stuck in the foot by him.

• Haha 2

I was  fishing  a rodeo back in the 80s  , I snagged a flounder in the tail with  a treble hook   , I was honest and told the weighmaster that I had snagged it , right at the base of his tail was ripped up and you could see it  ,  he asked if I had caught it on a pole , I said yes  , he allowed it and I won 1st place for flounder ,  it weighed 8 pounds and 3 ounces , biggest flounder I ever caught --- the La. State record is  13 pounds and some change  

• Like 2

I was a commercial fisherman ,  shrimping was my favorite , Lake Ponchartrain is a big lake , 2nd biggest in the world , and there are three major passes that the tide flows in and out , so the tide flows hard thru them ,  in the winter time when the Northwesters blow thru the founders use to move out the lake in massive numbers , it was easy to caught a 1,000 pounds of flounder as by-product on a good night , I use to like to filet them into strips  and deep  fry them crispy in oil , and dip them in a mix of ketchup , horseradish , Lea and Perrins  sauce and  lemon juice 

image.png

New York Angler Catches ‘Bizarrely Beautiful’ Trout

Debbie Geddes knew she had a good catch while she started reeling in her line. She believed she had a huge fish, but she never anticipated catching a trout with two mouths. A fish captured on Lake Champlain in upstate New York looks to have two mouths in a Facebook image that has now gone viral, raising curiosity over the one-of-a-kind catch. “It felt like a good fish while I was reeling it in,” Geddes told USA TODAY. “I said, ‘I hope this is as enormous as it feels.'” Geddes and her husband were taken aback when they spotted the fish. “I’d never seen anything like it before,” Geddes remarked. The bottom “mouth” of the fish had been hooked, and it looked to have a regular mouth on top and a gaping hole on the bottom that linked to its body.

• Like 2

That croaker is a fine size live  bait for speckled trout ------- maybe with the right presentation you could get onto something better than that catfish ( that is a hard head right ) lol  , are there any lights shining on to the water on that pier , is there and electric outlet on the pier , a 500 watt work light and a pipe and you could bring some good fish in , or the underwater submersible green lights work , you might have to get off the bottom as the water might be threromclined in layers of even visibility , suspended under a cork or if the water has some depth , I have always done good with a sliding cork ,  even a coleman lantern with a shield , "" Light at Night "" and some chum , cat food , cracked clams , etc 

Sliding corks :  boats pull up next to me while catching big fish one after another , and couldn't catch a fish , they would see us fishing with a cork 2 feet above the bait and do the same , they never realized there is a stopper that winds up onto the reel and the depth is set for 15ft along and edge , the cork travels to the stopper off  of the bottom as it is either full of  hookers , or a dead zone   --- either a croaker like you have above or a live shrimp was the bait of choice 

• Haha 1

The pier does have one helluva dusk to dawn light but the water is shallow in this area.  Only about 3' at the pier.  Don't know about further out but suspect a man could walk a 1/4 mile before it gets too deep.  I did find a few places to access to Gulf and have been watching the currents looking for some choice holes.  Found two today and with high tide tomorrow afternoon at 3:13 I plan to toss a line or two in there.  North winds until tomorrow evening so the seas should settle a bit.  Problem is live bait is a problem for me so Croakers get frozen with the shrimp and squid.  I usually set up two surf rods and pound the areas surrounding with lures.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 2:00 PM, Fishfiles said:

image.png

New York Angler Catches ‘Bizarrely Beautiful’ Trout

Debbie Geddes knew she had a good catch while she started reeling in her line. She believed she had a huge fish, but she never anticipated catching a trout with two mouths. A fish captured on Lake Champlain in upstate New York looks to have two mouths in a Facebook image that has now gone viral, raising curiosity over the one-of-a-kind catch. “It felt like a good fish while I was reeling it in,” Geddes told USA TODAY. “I said, ‘I hope this is as enormous as it feels.'” Geddes and her husband were taken aback when they spotted the fish. “I’d never seen anything like it before,” Geddes remarked. The bottom “mouth” of the fish had been hooked, and it looked to have a regular mouth on top and a gaping hole on the bottom that linked to its body.

didnt new york have one of those nuclear reactor events?, or a state close by. no telling what the gov., will dump on u to test something out.

Fishing has been slow on the pier and the Gulf.   Marvin sees me walking to the pier and is there waiting on me to feed him.  I'll sit on the bench waiting on a Croaker to bite and as soon as I get up to grab my rod, Marvin is right next to me expecting a free lunch. 

Maybe if I'd stop giving him my baitfish the fishing would be better over on the Gulf side.🤔

20220225_180309.jpg

20220221_141759.jpg

Edited by 56Sierra
  • Like 3

Caught a bunch of out of season Red Snappers yesterday 12 miles offshore next to some natural gas platforms.  50 feet of water.  All were catch and release.   Guy holding the fish was John, my net man.  Hint:  I netted more for John than he did for me.

20220304_085154.jpg

20220304_085143.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Caught a bunch of out of season Red Snappers yesterday 12 miles offshore next to some natural gas platforms.  50 feet of water.  All were catch and release.   Guy holding the fish was John, my net man.  Hint:  I netted more for John than he did for me.

Good eating right there , water pork >>> butter , lemon , garlic , seasoning , blackened !!! 

14 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

We did keep some vermillion snapper.  Some good eating there.

Over here in Vermillion Bay , Louisiana  , they got the pretties Vermillions you ever seen , iridescent stripes on them they are by far the prettiest sub-species of snapper out there to  me , I seen them off Florida and they are not that colorful , I worked offshore for 4 years and been on strictures everywhere from Matagora , Medico to Mobile Bay , Alabama ----------  fishing ,  playing pool and Boo-Ray the card game  , was all there was to do for me at night  ---- they all good eaters , but  Mangroove is a good one ,  fun to catch  ----  I like to fry the small  red snappers  and broil the big ones , the meat flakes off so nice on the big ones , caught a 26 pound red snapper , felt like a 100 pound fish ,  they can pull