TolarATV

Honda 250 Sportrax wont move?

I knew it was to good to be true. Another problem.lol. Here is the deal. Kids were riding the atv's. No problems. Park the 250 and went out next day and it wont move when put in gear? It shifts fine, reverse and all other gears. When you give it gas it acts like a brake is on, but its not. It will try to move forward but then just kinda wont. Make sense? Same in reverse. Put it in Nuetral and it rolls fine. Lift up the rear end and it will spin the wheels in gear when you give it gas? This is a 2003 model.   I have not looked at the clutch adjustment yet, but other than that I have no clue. Like I said it ran fine prior to being parked the day before.

gonna go with the friction disk are worn out ?, or the clutch cable needs adjusting ?.

• Like 1

Bang on from Shade as always.

The 250s (Recon and 250ex) will wear out of spec like any other clutch and this one has the "sport clutch" I believe which gives more opportunity for abuse.

You will likely need to put in a set of discs as mentioned above but springs and centri-clutch "weight set" would also be a good idea. 

Hopefully the clutch adjustment will fix but not likely. You can download the service manual from the links on the top of the site.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/2003/trx250ex-a-sportrax-250ex/clutch

Ordering from a different place might be a good idea if you are worried about how fast the part will show up. PZ could certainly be better in that regard.

Goes back to the old "Fast? Good? Cheap? Pick two" deal with those guys. Good and cheap 😁

MjAyNjY4OQ-514ec1d6.png

8 minutes ago, TolarATV said:

So would worn out friction disk act like a break is on when you try to move. Its really strange?

It is strange. Worn out friction disks do not usually act as a brake.

You may have a bad one-way bearing or another issue but the first step is to pull it apart and see.

It's possible that you have some sort of bind in the rear bearing carrier but from your original description that doesn't sound like it.