m_quick

Missing 2008 Trx700xx

So I'm not sure what to do or what i should of done. Anyway I was told to come and get my quad! So since I was headed sorta that way for the Bristol race, my uncle and I went after it last Friday. When we get to the Sheriff's dept, no body was there. We waited awhile, got bored and dialed 911! After explaining everything to the dispatcher several times, they advised us that a officer would be there in like 15 mins. When they get there, guy gets out of car, reads me the riot act, asking why we were even there since i had insurance and have probably already been paid. I told him someone told me to come/ he cuts me off and says I never told you to come get that quad! After going back and forth awhile, he told me it was up to the Sheriff's dept in the county that I reported it stolen from to release it. After he calmed down some, he invited us into his office and called the other county. A few calls later he connects, and they told him to go ahead and release it to me! Then I'm told it's 20 some miles away at a private garage. Well when i get there I was surprised with a $400 recovery fee and $120 storage plus 3% visa fee. I flipped out and that got me no where. He agreed to let me look at the quad 1st. I was tempted to leave it there for the $535.60. I already knew about stuff missing, but quad was trashed, hard to believe this guy paid 3K and was trying to sale for $3500. I did pay it, and currently have it store in a cargo container near my family in W. Va.

I'm not sure where this leaves me as far as insurance and the quad. Hoping they will just let me have it for what i paid. But what about the fact that the vin# is illegible and certainly don't match my old #?

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

What a royal mess to be in.  I hope it works out in your favor.  Sounds like you need a break.

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but how did they identify it without the VIN in the first place? Is there any policy paperwork showing the VIN. Does your state require wheelers to be titled?

Concerning insurance, by the way you describe the condition, it sounds like they would consider it totaled. Might just tell you to keep it. It's a guess. Do you think the cops would contact them anyway?

Did you get any paper work from the sheriff besides the  receipt for storage ?  ----- down here I think you would have to get  a salvage title from the insurance company and then go to the State Troopers with the Sheriff release papers to you , and have the Troopers inspect it and them issue a salvage  vin # and stamp it onto the frame , pretty messy situation you got into , guess you could part it out ----you know we want some pictures 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim-ANC said:

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but how did they identify it without the VIN in the first place? Is there any policy paperwork showing the VIN. Does your state require wheelers to be titled?

Concerning insurance, by the way you describe the condition, it sounds like they would consider it totaled. Might just tell you to keep it. It's a guess. Do you think the cops would contact them anyway?

A friend seen it listed for sale on market place. When local Sheriff's dept arrived, they said the vin# didn't match sorry. Then they said the parts may be mine but it's not the same quad. He then agreed it had a altered vin# and when I described some info about the quad, that you would have to know, he agreed it was mine and confiscated it. 

reapervin#.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Did you get any paper work from the sheriff besides the  receipt for storage ?  ----- down here I think you would have to get  a salvage title from the insurance company and then go to the State Troopers with the Sheriff release papers to you , and have the Troopers inspect it and them issue a salvage  vin # and stamp it onto the frame , pretty messy situation you got into , guess you could part it out ----you know we want some pictures 

no just a half ! receipt from garage.

okay, and yes im getting the pm from you fine.

This is the vin plate from my original 700xx

OGVin#.jpg

Edited by m_quick
  • Like 1