Fishfiles

Snakes

16 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Only 2#?  Please don't tell me there's a shortage of Tannerite. 

Only had one can on hand, figured it would be sufficient.

I had good success using 4 lbs, (two 2lb cans) but that was using detcord and a blasting cap, which allows burying them down in the mud.

Going to pick some more tannerite up this afternoon, try again this weekend.  Have to be pretty wasteful with the stuff to get a good boom on a dam when you're shooting it to set it off.

I kinda got it hot water with 5# one night so what did I do?  Set off 7#.  Oh boy that got the locals fired up.😳

• Haha 1

Looks like 25 pounds is a enough --- he missed the first shot , LOL 

• Haha 2

How do ya get that stuff? Tinnerite!! just thinking about a tree stump.

6 hours ago, LedFTed said:

How do ya get that stuff? Tinnerite!! just thinking about a tree stump.

Places that carry sporting goods (shooting stuff) sell it.  It's marketed as "exploding targets".

You have to shoot it with a high powered rifle to set it off, unless you have blasting caps/det cord.

But if you get it down in there, it works pretty good.  Not nearly as well as dynamite did, but you know they won't let us serfs have such things anymore. 

A bit off topic but I think you will enjoy this one:  Early 80's while furloughed from the RR I landed a job with Davey teaching people to trim trees.  I class was held near Cleveland in a metro park where they had the students clear a path for a bobsled track.  It was decided to let the Cleveland Police bomb squad have sone fun and blast one rather large  red oak stump.  You know government workers, where one is needed, 10 show up.  One blast day there were about 10 different police vehicles parked about 100 yards from the stump.  My classroom was over 500 yards away.  When the warning came we all went outside to watch.  Ker-BOOM!  The stump as if in slow motion went up....and up....and up for at least 3-4 seconds.  Lesser pieces seemed to home in the the police cars with three cars being targeted with oak bombs in the area of 2-3 feet long.  Two of those dumb bombs made direct roof hits blowing out all the windows.   Another poorer aimed chunk hit the hood of one cruiser blowing out the windshield.   Attention back to the stump.  About this time it's headed our way and starting to come back down.  A fews seconds later a piece of split oak perfect for the fireplace came through the roof of our classroom.   Now here comes the stump.  About 100 yards away the biggest piece landed in a grassy area and left one huge divot.

What a day!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Someone ran over and smushed a 8 ft mud snake on my street , they get big , live under ground in holes  , it was gone this morning , buzzards , coyote or possum got it  I would guess 

image.png

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 4:51 PM, 56Sierra said:

A bit off topic but I think you will enjoy this one:  Early 80's while furloughed from the RR I landed a job with Davey teaching people to trim trees.  I class was held near Cleveland in a metro park where they had the students clear a path for a bobsled track.  It was decided to let the Cleveland Police bomb squad have sone fun and blast one rather large  red oak stump.  You know government workers, where one is needed, 10 show up.  One blast day there were about 10 different police vehicles parked about 100 yards from the stump.  My classroom was over 500 yards away.  When the warning came we all went outside to watch.  Ker-BOOM!  The stump as if in slow motion went up....and up....and up for at least 3-4 seconds.  Lesser pieces seemed to home in the the police cars with three cars being targeted with oak bombs in the area of 2-3 feet long.  Two of those dumb bombs made direct roof hits blowing out all the windows.   Another poorer aimed chunk hit the hood of one cruiser blowing out the windshield.   Attention back to the stump.  About this time it's headed our way and starting to come back down.  A fews seconds later a piece of split oak perfect for the fireplace came through the roof of our classroom.   Now here comes the stump.  About 100 yards away the biggest piece landed in a grassy area and left one huge divot.

What a day!

The plaster walls throughout my house are cracked from a neighbor 4 houses down who blew a stump back in the 50's, using much more dynamite than was needed.

Guy was a retired Brig Gen too, LOL

On 6/16/2021 at 10:28 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Only had one can on hand, figured it would be sufficient.

I had good success using 4 lbs, (two 2lb cans) but that was using detcord and a blasting cap, which allows burying them down in the mud.

Going to pick some more tannerite up this afternoon, try again this weekend.  Have to be pretty wasteful with the stuff to get a good boom on a dam when you're shooting it to set it off.

Went out Sunday afternoon with 4lbs.  With it being Father's Day had to haul both teenagers, eldest teens boyfriend, wife, father in law, and even the dag.  Turned into a real dog and pony show.

Set up two canisters of tannerite, 2lbs each in the dam.  The 16 year old hit the top one with the first round, and we got a "pffffffooft" with some smoke, but no boom.  I walked up and looked and the top cannister was popped open, pellets everywhere, but hadn't boomed.

Bottom cannister was still deep in the mud and unaffected.  Pulled that one up where it could be seen/shot, and daughter's boyfriend hit that one with the usual boom and had a decent, but not great hole in the dam. 

I went up and did a little pushing to open it up a bit.  I'm sure the nemeses had it rebuilt before I went to bed.

Planning on running out there after work to check it.  Didn't see a single snek this time though!

• Like 2

Florida record captured 17 foot 7 inch , 215 pound Burmese  python  

image.png

• Confused 1

This snake would have been sushi , watch the floor at the end 

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

This snake would have been sushi , watch the floor at the end 

I missed something.   What happened on the floor?  If that snake tried to eat me he would find out real quick that I was a good couple links higher on the food chain.

4 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

I missed something.   What happened on the floor?  If that snake tried to eat me he would find out real quick that I was a good couple links higher on the food chain.

The blood was pouring out the woman's arm onto the floor like a garden hose , must have got an artery ------     seems the video I linked above , is much shorter than the one I viewed on Tik Tok and you don't get to see it all , I never did see them get the snake off of her , that snake might have still been holding onto to me but it would have been in multiple pieces 

18 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

The blood was pouring out the woman's arm onto the floor like a garden hose , must have got an artery ------     seems the video I linked above , is much shorter than the one I viewed on Tik Tok and you don't get to see it all , I never did see them get the snake off of her , that snake might have still been holding onto to me but it would have been in multiple pieces 

YT would flag that if blood was involved.   I've noticed on crash videos the narrator commonly says "No one was injured"  Yeah, right.

This one shows some of the blood , it was a lot worse than this 

Youtube has been showing its ugly political head.  One channel I watch about airplanes did a video on the California wildfires and mentioned that one particular fire was set by humans (they in fact were) and YT demonized that video.  It didn't fit the climate change narrative. 

• Like 3

That's disgusting! That thing would for certain be dead. Never have understood why anyone would want one of those things as a "pet".

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

That's disgusting! That thing would for certain be dead. Never have understood why anyone would want one of those things as a "pet".

I hear you , I never did see the fascination with snakes as pets --------- the only good snake is a dead snake 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I hear you , I never did see the fascination with snakes as pets --------- the only good snake is a dead snake 

I welcome snakes only because I hate mice worse.

• Like 2

a good belt ? is what I'd do, but i doubt if I'd keep it, I've gotten to where i just don't care for snakes any longer, and thats happened within the last few years...... this post reminds me of one of dumbest movies I've ever seen...... Tom green in Freddy got fingered...... just goes to show not much good comes from California........ (sigh) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

this post reminds me of one of dumbest movies I've ever seen...... Tom green in Freddy got fingered...... 

That is one crazy movie , that poor little neighbor kid 

• Like 1