Fishfiles

Snakes

Come to think of it. My friends daughter found one of the rare rattlers in Indiana. They were camping in a state park in October. Stepped out of camper and it bit her on the foot. Ended up in ER. they assume it was a rattlesnake. Scary.

• Like 1

Now y’all are going to think I’m crazy 😂 I catch the non-venomous snakes and move them elsewhere when they’re where they shouldn’t be. I caught this big rat snake and garter snake slipping into the workplace. When I got the rat snake outside I noticed it'd made a meal of some unlucky rodent 

F98C8708-2030-4C9C-A493-25077F8082AD.jpeg

1DB0024D-296C-461F-B661-CC4BF95847BE.jpeg

Edited by FishinDawg
  • Like 5

On November 29, 2020 at 7:11 AM, Fishfiles said:

This pic is a corn snake , around here also called a chicken snake , they are very cool looking , some are red and yellow , similar pattern as above 

image.png

this one resembles one of the last snakes i got out the furness, when it came out of the drain slot, i manage to catch it right behind the head with ash pan shovel, and looked at his head (rounded) so that one i let go. but the pattern alarmed me when i first saw it, but coppers are rare around here, or have been for years, a couple years back my neighbor ken, claimed to have shot a copper, but when i got there, it was so damaged, i couldn't tell, but the pattern looked close, but the snake was fat, and only about 2 feet long, so it could have been a copper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FishinDawg said:

Now y’all are going to think I’m crazy 😂 I catch the non-venomous snakes and move them elsewhere when they’re where they shouldn’t be. I caught this big rat snake and garter snake slipping into the workplace. When I got the rat snake outside I noticed it'd made a meal of some unlucky rodent 

im all for turning the none venomous stakes loose, but I'm not ever picking one up again, i used to all the time when i was younger garters, and black racers, even tho not poisonous they still have a wicked bite especially when the bite in and start twisting, lol. 

FishinDawg , that is a healthy and mean looking one you got there , very nice coloring , more what I am use to ......  they say the pupils tell all and your has got the  right  eyes 

• Like 1

image.pngimage.png

image.png

after looking at hundreds of pics of snakes , talking with 50 people , getting many different opinions ,   I am going with a corn snake , learned there are many different morphs of that snake , the markings on the head match , BUT ,  that triangle head and extended jaw sure doesn't though --- someone brought up that maybe we are getting the pythons and boas around here now that are pledging Florida 

image.png

image.png

8 hours ago, sled_22 said:

I think my biggest fear is identifying them. I don’t know what’s what and need my phone handy to I’d. By then it’s too late. Now you guys are telling me snakes will chase you down and aggressively attack!?!?! F that. I’ll stay north where the snow flys. 

lol, i reckon it depends on the snake, but i never was a fan of being chased, but even worse is when they strike (i don't care what kind it is)  and yup i get very leery when getting  close enough to tell what kind they are. I'll give you one more, just wait till you see one in your shop etc  i can sure relate, i went and grabbed a hand full of moth balls tossed them around the floor, and left, i think it was a chicken snake, with the pattern i wasn't getting close enough to tell,  i know  fish has one that was in his shop, to hear him tell its kind of funny, but i can also understand being surprised / shocked by spotting one, where it wouldn't normally be. 

• Like 1

Another snake story that was funny but dangerous , we ride a strip we call the Boggie , it is a long water filled rut with trees on both sides and you are riding down low , you can't get out the ruts if you wanted to or turn around once you in and it last for about 1/4 mile at least , so the bank is high and around your thigh level  , not a got thing when snakes are laying on the bank , guy in Hammond , La. got bite on the thigh last year in a similar situation  ---   well any way , there is a island in the Boggie , where you can go left or right around the island , of course we call it snake island cause there is almost always a snake or two on that island , so I come up on the island there is a moccasin laying up , so I lean over off the bike and take a swipe at him with the machette and missed as he took off , he swims under Vic's bike behind me and climbs  up into the frame , Vic was standing on his seat freaking out , I had to get a stick and scare him out the frame , Vic didn't see him swim to shore and into the woods , so he was like "" are you sure he is gone ? ""   , he rode the rest of the way to dry land with his feet on the steering bars 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just got a text from my snake 'ologist and he says copperhead 100% --- I am going to stick with the plan " only good snake is a dead snake " , LOL 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I just got a text from my snake 'ologist and he says copperhead 100% --- I am going to stick with the plan " only good snake is a dead snake " , LOL 

Thought you had already gotten there but if it has that pattern and a diamond shaped head it's for sure a copper.

Diamond shaped head and eye shape are the best way to determine if dangerous or not.

I just move most snakes venomous or not. I use a pole with a slipknot on the end, catch them behind the head and just put them into a plastic trash can. 

A few non-venomous snakes are good for the claim. They can keep the animals that destroy things (squirrels, rabbits, rats) in check.

Edit: Was fishing in our pond once and caught something. Reeling it onto the bank I saw that it was a snake and panicked. I flung the snake out of the water and behind me hitting my dad in the shoulder. Might have bit him if not for the hook/bait still being in. It was a cotton mouth 

Edited by oh400ex

fish that reminds me each time we crossed that 1st bridge there were always a couple sunning out on an old fallen Tree, i got in trouble a few times going in after them, it's a wander i was never bitten, at i never was by the snakes, pop, on the hand had a much worse bite, lol!, now everytime i go see him, i have to stop and see how many are there. 

are you worried ? lol, i don't think you have anything to worry about unless a snow snake shows up in the middle of the night. 

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

are you worried ? lol, i don't think you have anything to worry about unless a snow snake shows up in the middle of the night. 

Haha... those ! snow snakes. No I'm not worried i just keep getting notifications of these big a$$ snake pictures. I've seen enough for this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

now you've opened a can of worms ... lol you think the pics were rough ? wait till we really get started, lol. a few of these guys are running half way off the tracks ... lol, PM me your email, and I'll show you a real place to find snakes...

or just check this thread out for cave pics, along with the other better pics. 

https://atvhonda.com/topic/111-critter-pictures-and/

Edited by _Wilson_™

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

PM me your email, and I'll show you a real place to find snakes...

/

Don't be sending one another pics of snow snakes !!! 🙀 Kittens , LOL 

• Haha 1

Almost looks like a small python, never seen a copperhead with a pattern on his head. Seen two rattlesnakes killed on the road this year by our place, cottonmouths too many to count up here in East Texas.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Don't be sending one another pics of snow snakes !!! 🙀 Kittens , LOL 

the snow snakes I'll leave to TRBrider .... i don't think you'll find one in here, could be something worse. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kevron said:

Almost looks like a small python, never seen a copperhead with a pattern on his head. Seen two rattlesnakes killed on the road this year by our place, cottonmouths too many to count up here in East Texas.

I agree the colors on the head are not right , the triangle head is what gets me , maybe it is a juvenile , as cotton mouths look totally different when they are young 

Snake story:

I had a killer freshwater spot , perch , goggle eyes , bass , catfish , my favorite place was this bank where three bayous merged , I would pirogue to it and get out the boat and stand on the bank, fish with ultra lite spinner pole , sliding cork and live grass shrimp , had a string with about 100 in in the water tied to the boat keeping them live so I didn't need a ice chest , I hear some splashing and look over and there is a big moccasin biting down on one of the perch ,  I pulled in the stringer and the snake took off , so I was worried about venom being injected into the fish , I called the AW++Wildlife and Fisheries and they put me to a biologist , he told me to throw them all away and not take a chance , first off he say , you could stick yourself with a fin or cut your self with the knife cleaning them and be poisoned , but here is the real kicker of the story , he sad the venom is an amino-acid , even after being in hot oil and cooked it would still be poison , said chances are nothing would happen if you ate the fish , the level would be low , but if you had an ulcer in your stomach it could be absorbed into your blood stream , so threw the whole stringer away 

Same spot another time , a large alligator got a hold of the stringer and pulled the pirogue off the bank , he broke the stringer and got the fish , I was on the bank , the boat out in the middle , by myself and I sure wasn't going to swim to get it , I casted about a 100 times and finally hooked the boat and pulled it in with like 4 pound test line , praying it didn't break the line , lucky there was no wind that day as the boat would have been gone down the bayou ----  I started putting the fish in a bucket of water to keep them live till I got back to the truck --- you know what was a scary thought , that alligator was 10 foot from me , I was standing on the edge of the water fishing and never knew he was there till he grab the fish stringer , he could have grabbed me 

I know the Captain of this boat tour , he lost his job because of this video going viral :

• Like 1