Fishfiles

Snakes

19 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

fish ,shame on you, haha! we may  never see sled again...... 

Make you think twice about bank fishing ??? 

• Haha 1

copperheads are the problem around here...and they get promptly dispatched when I come across them. I always wear a small smith 38spl revolver with snake shot when I'm out working on the property.

we also have a couple acre pond so we get what we call the "common brown watersnakes"...harmless but they do startle some of the family when they are here fishing.

and fortunately we have a good population of black snakes and in the last 15 years I've only seen one king snake but I'll sure take them as well...very good to have both around to deal with the copperheads and other rodents.

plus we have  a solid population of hawks and Bard owls

• Like 3

I agree with sled, you can have those nasty things!

Montans only has ten native snake species, namely, the Common Gartersnake, Gophersnake, North American Racer, Northern Rubber Boa, Plains Gartersnake, Plains Hog-nosed Snake, Smooth Greensnake, Terrestrial Gartersnake, Western Milksnake, and the Prairie Rattlesnake. Of the ten snakes, only the Prairie Rattlesnake is venomous. And it is a very timid snake, 99% of the time it slithers off when you come up on it. In the last 8 years there has a 45 reported Rattlesnake bites in Montana and no deaths from those bites. Not that I would want to get bitten but if I did I would rather it be a prairie rattle than what you guys have down there. A friend of mine loves to go looking at Rattlesnakes, he's a knot head he knows the guy in this picture. The two guy turned this thing loose, I would've killed it. It's the biggest rattler I've ever seen. This is about 65 miles from my house and that's still too close.😁

rattle snake.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 5

oh i remeber this pic, as matter of fact i don't think ill ever forget it, i think fish had comment looks like he's trying to bite himself ? (another post) 

i knew i saw that monster some place here, snake stew plus boots, a  belt, wallet, and hat band ... lol 

https://atvhonda.com/topic/111-critter-pictures-and/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-8161

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

image.png

My buddies' worker raises snakes , he says the snake I have question on is a red tail boa , there are many different patterns and their head does have wide jaws , makes them look like a triangle head , he could be onto something 

IMG_2526.JPG

• Like 1

Wilson , snake cook off !!!  It  would have to be fried rattle snake on a kabob ----- I have ate it at the festivals and it is good , taste like chicken , LOL , but  , I am not running to the fried snake booth ,  I wouldn't cook it and eat , cause If I seen the whole deal go thru I couldn't eat it , unless it was a life or death situation , I have skinned quite a few snakes and it is not on my top 10,000 things to do list 

Back to the unknown snake , we live 1 mile , how the bird flies from a huge Federal Wildlife Management called Big Branch and bordering it is the biggest unpopulated section of woods left south of Hwy 190 , it would be perfect for snakes , I am sure many snakes have been left go when pet owners get tired of them , Jason says he has had snakes since he was a kid , he has a 13 foot boa right now among others , says there are so many variations of colors and he says they will crossbreed , so it could very well be a boa 

• Like 1

Little snakes need lovin too.  Look what I found behind these 5/4 boards this fall.  These two stayed here for a few weeks before going to their winter den.  I welcome any snake on the property.   Never seen a venomous one so I can say that.

20200913_113614.jpg

20200913_113437.jpg

• Like 4

i let those garter snakes, grass, chicken, and black racers...etc alone... neighbor Dave .... hates them all, so each time he sees a snake around his place his wife gives him... all kinds of trouble, she won't even come out of the house if he mentions anything about a snake,.... so he calls me, walk down remove the snakes, and bring them, to the back side of my place, cut them loose, but when Dennis cuts and roles hay in my front lot the red tailed hawks sure take there shair... 

image.jpg

• Like 1

plenty of old barns sheds and buildings around here,  two standard rules drag you shoes, to keep from being stuck by a nail, and never lift a sheet of tin with your hand ... these guys scored a few copers, and one very aggressive garter,... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

plenty of old barns sheds and buildings around here,  two standard rules drag you shoes, to keep from being stuck by a nail, and never lift a sheet of tin with your hand ... these guys scored a few copers, and one very aggressive garter,... 

When I saw the Copperhead I was expecting a shotgun blast.😳

• Like 1