Hailstatedogs

Power/Speed Issue

Evening, folks!  Got a 2007 Foreman ES that my dad and I rebuilt.  I’ve been riding it some to get the motor broken in.  I have no history with utility ATV’s, as I spent most of my days riding Warriors and Banshees.  Needless to say, the Foreman is VERY slow.  Having never ridden a Foreman, I have no baseline regarding performance, but it seems very slow even for a utility ATV.  I got a chance to ride another Foreman over the weekend that is almost the same age, and after riding it for about 30 seconds and getting it to third gear, it was immediately obvious the one I rebuilt has issues.  It has plenty of torque in first and second gear, but once I hit third, it is very slow and has little acceleration capability.  The engine is not revving up like the clutch is slipping, but I’m not an expert in those matters.  Bottom line:  it’s slow as molasses and just won’t go, and I have no idea what’s going on with it.  It almost seems like the engine is constricted somehow.  Clean air filter, rebuilt carb, but didn’t do anything to the exhaust.  It smoked like a freight train before being rebuilt.  Is it possible the pipe can be restricting the performance with build-up? 

Maybe related, maybe not....I rode it before putting the shift motor on it, and the bike would snatch and lunge, particularly going into first and second.  Did the same thing when the new shift motor was put on, but I have to get the clutch play screw adjusted just right, or it will try to shift into the next gear but will not complete the action.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks for the advice!

Hail , I have experience 1st and 2nd runs great , 3rd gear and it fell on it's face , was the diaphragm of the slide plunger in the carb cracked , the plunger is for high speed and has no effect on low speed 

• Like 1

Fishfiles, thanks for the info.  While we did inspect the diaphragm when the carb was rebuilt and didn’t notice any holes or cracks, we’ll definitely look at it again and inspect it more closely.  Thanks!

8 hours ago, Hailstatedogs said:

Fishfiles, thanks for the info.  While we did inspect the diaphragm when the carb was rebuilt and didn’t notice any holes or cracks, we’ll definitely look at it again and inspect it more closely.  Thanks!

Worth checking , I thought my timing chain had stretched , it wouldn't take the throttle after 1/2 way , would run great up to that point  -----    Manny told me about checking the diaphragm , I had cleaned the carb and didn't see it , pulled the top off and checked it as I don't have to pull the carb off to pull the plunger ,  it was cracked around the base right where it attaches , couldn't see if unless you bent the rubber over