jeepwm69

Winch wiring question for you electrical types

Got some winch wiring ordered from Motoalliance today. I have a couple of their Viper winches that have held up great on my Hondas, and the bigger winches come with nice heavy 5 gauge wire.  Their lighter winches come with 8 gauge wire.

So my “5 gauge wire” comes in today.

It looks like 8 gauge wire to me, and is obviously smaller than the last wires I got from them (pictured for comparison)

Markings are pictured. Is this 6 ga wire, or 8 ga?

7EC018D4-9E93-4AC4-A2AB-2B7A69C9A619.jpeg

A0FF5966-A6B1-4E78-8F3E-FE198522BBBD.jpeg

E7899E62-D89A-4233-BEB2-47D5702D3CA3.jpeg

CFA7D656-60D9-4919-94C7-9902D812C94F.png

Is the yellow wire 6 mm(1/4") Outside Dia? Those wires aren't the same gauge. But 6 mm wire is like 3 gauge. I have no idea why they'd label it with an outside dia though as the outside diameter though...

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/wire-gauge-chart.html

Honestly the new stuff you got looks like 8 ga and old stuff looks 6ish.

outside reads 6mm, but standard measurements to me looks like 8ga, higher number, smaller diameter wire gauge. deff not 6 ga !..lol. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, shadetree said:

outside reads 6mm, but standard measurements to me looks like 8ga, higher number, smaller diameter wire gauge. deff not 6 ga !..lol. 

Yeah, looks like 8 to me too, which would make sense since that's what they send with their smaller winches.  I have a 4K Viper Max and a 5K Viper Max on my 09 Foreman and the Rubicon.  They came with nice 5ga heavy wire, so when I've needed replacement wiring I've always gotten that 5ga wiring kit from motoalliance. 

I sent them an email.  They've always been really good people to deal with in the past, so hopefully they'll make it right.

• Like 2

That's more like it.  Motoalliance sent out the 5 ga wire I wanted, and a call tag for the 8 ga wire.

wire.JPG

• Like 1

I'm surprised they didn't just let you have the 8 gauge wiring. I've dealt with them for years and the very few issues I have had the corrected them instantly with no questions asked. Once was a non working contactor on a new winch and after I got the new one I tapped on it a few times and kept it as a spare for my own.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:47 PM, toodeep said:

I'm surprised they didn't just let you have the 8 gauge wiring. I've dealt with them for years and the very few issues I have had the corrected them instantly with no questions asked. Once was a non working contactor on a new winch and after I got the new one I tapped on it a few times and kept it as a spare for my own.

I have two Viper Max winches, a 4K and a 5K.  Both have been bulletproof, and they were actually the first two winches I bought back in 2010-2011. 

I did buy a Viper "classic" back in the day that failed pretty quickly.  The hex shaft that runs through the middle rounded off on one end.  I had some other busted winches I'd taken off other people's rigs (mostly Venom IIRC, which is what the local Honda dealer pushed), and I took an extra shaft out of one of those and fixed the "classic" and put it on a flip bike before I sold it.

But yes, they are very nice people to work with, and seem to have a good line of products.  Their 07-11 Foreman winch plate is very nice, and their wiring kits are nice 5 gauge wire and are $29 shipped.  I have picked up a few used Warns cheap in the last year or two, and needed good heavy wiring for them.