retro

Budgets - How are y'all doing in this Covid age?

My monthly spending budget has been limited to the same dollar figure for the last 10 years. Budgeting of expenses required for a basic existence + financing/maintenance of my several hobbies (& keeping enough beer on hand) have really begun to tie me down of late though. The most noticeable cost increases for me this year have come from food items. Its difficult to find quality meats at fair, affordable prices nowadays. A loaf of good bread have gone up a full dollar. All food prices have been going up a bunch I think.... I find myself whining during every trip to my local grocery store.

Anyway, my less than $600 per month budget is threatened almost every month now. I'm a hardnosed stubborn tightwad and I do not ever intend to change.... I'm certainly not going to increase my spending budget any time soon, I'd rather go without certain luxury items than cave in.

So I'm a COVID whiner... I am not looking for any assistance... just complaining all of the time. The COVID age sucks eggs.

How are y'all doing with budgeting your families through these hard times?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

wuhan, hasn't affected me, money wise. the stuff that go's with being 65 has. social security, then having medicare. then on TV should ya watch, a retired football player and everybody else is trying to sell ya insurance. then ,  on commercials, that guy shows up, with the pillow., all the time. i forgot about reverse morgage. talk about being like your DAD, when ya get older. i find myself, muting the sound when commercials start, then missing past of the show, cause i forgot to turn the sound back on. ;~}

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'll whine with ya lol

Not good financial times. Nothing stable in any way.

Teaching someone to shoot has never been more expensive but very needed.

Even trying to eat healthy is harder and more expensive (if possible)

Last spring seeds and plants were considered "non-essential" for a while. 
If that's not... I don't know what is. Internet is slow on a good day but has been getting worse since this started.

The first person died while COVID positive (who I was personally close with) 

All things considered... we are extremely blessed. No house/car payment and we live within our means.

I get to live in paradise with like minded folks and like most things this will pass. My side work is keeping me busy. 

If I could go back and change the world I would consider letting this run through initially as it seems that the economic impact is officially way worse than the unchecked virus might have been. No one knows but it sure is frustrating seeing more lockdown talk. 

Feel for you on the fixed income. Love saving money and getting the same but you seem like someone who already does that.

I hope you could find something small to make some side money on. Retro's Recommended? Affiliate marketing.

For me... a small amount of steady money makes a big difference in my quality-of-life type spending. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

For me... a small amount of steady money makes a big difference in my quality-of-life type spending.

You just defined my chosen lifestyle to a T. Amazing! I couldn't do that in 500 words or less if my existence depended on it! 🙂

Thanks for sharing your story and insights. I am glad that you're hanging in there and are doing ok. Paradise ain't what it used to be is it.... keep collecting those heirloom seeds, someday I may need to trade with ya. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

wuhan, hasn't affected me, money wise. the stuff that go's with being 65 has. social security, then having medicare. then on TV should ya watch, a retired football player and everybody else is trying to sell ya insurance. then ,  on commercials, that guy shows up, with the pillow., all the time. i forgot about reverse morgage. talk about being like your DAD, when ya get older. i find myself, muting the sound when commercials start, then missing past of the show, cause i forgot to turn the sound back on. ;~}

Medicare? What's that ? When I get sick & die the birds will pick my bones clean. Thats my insurance policy. LOL

• Like 3

Well for me and my family we have all dodged this virus 100%. Which is just this side of amazing with 4 or my close family members working in the hospital. One being my wife. I actually just had my first friends confirmed to have it. Husband and wife both got it. She works at a nursing home so not shocking how she ended up with it. I do still feel like we are all going to end up with it at some point and the strong /healthy will survive.(Morbid i know). 

Financially we are honestly very blessed to have come out of this better off somehow. My wife getting a job at the hospital and me going into the hvac field has put us into a comfortable money-wise situation we have never been in before. But we are still living like we arent making anymore because we are making wise choices with the extra to stock up on essentials for protection of the family and food just incase everything goes to crap. I truthfully feel we may use ammo and food as money with the direction we are headed.

Hope everyone is hanging in there! And can find ways to keep there mind busy and stay healthy! Stick close with family and friends as that is what is most important in these hard times. We will get through this!

• Like 6

Ya This virus BS hasn’t affected me 1 bit as of yet. Our life hasn’t changed at all.. 

• Like 7

I've lost 6 family members and close friends to Covid. My wife had it and even after 4 weeks still hadn't fully recovered. Financially we are fine and business is booming but I'd trade it all and then some to have those we've lost back. 

• Like 6

i ended up catching this bug i was tested, and YES came back positive, but it didnt effect me much at all bout like it did fish, but i did  have the sytoms lose of taste smell, and headaches, i put good use to vita c retro told us about, and that helped a great deal, but... financially ,  I'm doing better then ever, with land prices going so high, people are still wanting to move out in the country, especially with the last election ... but as for food, I'm good enough, (two full deep freezers)  so far no one else i know has come down with the bug, but numbers here are rising again, health care is being taxed to the limit, not just by the bug, but also cases of depressed people out of work, and no surprise theft is on the rise, even with colder weather moving in, it's  just a bad situation, for those who didn't prepare, so much complaints from me, i just hope this will not continue all the way into spring. im not shocked amo prices here have jumped in price, so again hoarding is going on, and not so many deer hunters this season, <<no shock there, i rarely hear a shot fired. what i do hear, is more and more ems calls for breathing issues. with some mention of covid. 

• Like 6

I am sorry to hear about your losses to Covid Akunin. Thanks for sharing, hang in there man.

Just to clarify, my 1st post reads like I am flat broke & leading a poor boy minimalist lifestyle in the woods. But I'm not broke.... not yet anyway. I admit that I am a non-participating (not owned by the royals & their banksters & govcorps), independence & freedom loving minimalist nutter in the woods though!

I receive my SS retirement each month that I am determined to keep separated from my live budget. My SS payments are not secured (govcorp may pull the pin someday without forewarning), so I refuse to add that income to my tightly budgeted independence funds. My SS retirement is play money and nothing more to me... It's extra income that I am free to share with others when someone needs something, its extra cash that I can spend on buying gifts for my daughter, my granddaughter & other family with. Sometimes I spend some of it on myself too, I got lots of hobbies to grow & maintain ya know. I enjoy being free to do that stuff as often as I wish while continuing to live completely independent from those govcorp SS refunds.

It was SS play money that fully funded this web site build & operations for our first couple months too. And in a couple more months some of that extra income is gonna fund some more backoffice investments that I hope might improve our forum a bunch and help us to overcome google's persnickety ways. Only with your approval though... of course.

So I'm not whining about my fixed income in this thread, I am complaining about new threats to my old budget though.... due to govcorp's management of Covid (do the most harm-- a slow motion train wreck/socio-economic collapse screenplay) and creeping dollar devaluations.

I am glad that most of you, so far, are doing ok financially. I began to wonder & worry about y'all this past week when I had to cut back on my own spending at the grocery store to remain within my budget. Thats why this thread was opened.... but then I vented a bit too, which was inappropriate. Y'all take good care of yourselves and your families. Stock up, prep for harder times just in case... and keep a smile on.

• Like 3

Food is  going up in price dramatically , along with "just" about everything  else .  Work is slowing down ,   my work  usually does this time of year , but ,  work is slowing a " lot "  more this year then any  other I have seen  . Just in the last month ,  I have been seeing a lot of companies , stores , restaurants that have been in business for a long time ,  closing down  or  trimming down and people are losing their jobs   ----  I am going to stay out of this conversation  , cause it is hard to talk with your tongue tied 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I live up here in the Atlantic bubble, cases have been low and life has been mostly normal, but we don't have the population you guys have down south.

• Like 4

i hear you there fish, samething is going on here, many stores have closed  up shop, people out of work, and still the price of food is climbing, but the quality sure  isn't, it sure is putting a hard way to go for those who were / are living from paycheck to paycheck, even farmers are getting hit harder with climbing prices of feed, fuel, and supply's more, and more are selling off property, to those who don't wish to live in the city, for fear things are going to get worse i hardly ever hear police calls like i used to, but the calls i do hear are just about 90% driving while under the influence, thankfully not many wrecks. it's just a matter of time before crime hits an all time because is the covid deal, and the shortages to follow. 

• Like 2

It's only going to get worse. 

.gov injected (created out of thin air) money will always cause prices to go up in nominal terms, because fiat currency always loses value as more is created.

This is from April.  The economic fundamentals will always come home to roost, no matter how much shuffling the politicians and central bankers try to do.

https://mises.org/wire/destructive-effects-coronavirus-relief-package

Couple that with minimum wage increases becoming ever more popular, and throttling the supply lines with covid-related shut-downs and you have a perfect storm of decreased supply, increased costs for businesses, and ultimately that results in ever increasing prices for the consumers.

Honestly, I'm surprised it's not worse.

Best thing we can all do is try to become as self sufficient as we can.  Have stuff on hand to grow your own vegetables.  If you find a deal on meat, stock up the freezer. 

Our whole financial systems is a massive house of cards and has been for quite a while.  It's not a question of IF we have another greatER depression, but WHEN.  Plan accordingly as best you can.

I have retirement that I contribute to every month (because my employer matches it) but otherwise I have little to no cash savings.  Why?  Because I feel safer buying tangible goods that should maintain value vs holding "cash" that has a value that can change drastically from day to day based on what our corrupt politicians decided to do at any given moment.

I am very fortunate and blessed to not have a mortgage (live in the house my grandparents build after WW2), and to have a job with good benefits. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

It's only going to get worse. 

.gov injected (created out of thin air) money will always cause prices to go up in nominal terms, because fiat currency always loses value as more is created.

This is from April.  The economic fundamentals will always come home to roost, no matter how much shuffling the politicians and central bankers try to do.

https://mises.org/wire/destructive-effects-coronavirus-relief-package

Couple that with minimum wage increases becoming ever more popular, and throttling the supply lines with covid-related shut-downs and you have a perfect storm of decreased supply, increased costs for businesses, and ultimately that results in ever increasing prices for the consumers.

Honestly, I'm surprised it's not worse.

Best thing we can all do is try to become as self sufficient as we can.  Have stuff on hand to grow your own vegetables.  If you find a deal on meat, stock up the freezer. 

Our whole financial systems is a massive house of cards and has been for quite a while.  It's not a question of IF we have another greatER depression, but WHEN.  Plan accordingly as best you can.

I have retirement that I contribute to every month (because my employer matches it) but otherwise I have little to no cash savings.  Why?  Because I feel safer buying tangible goods that should maintain value vs holding "cash" that has a value that can change drastically from day to day based on what our corrupt politicians decided to do at any given moment.

I am very fortunate and blessed to not have a mortgage (live in the house my grandparents build after WW2), and to have a job with good benefits. 

This is a concern as much as catching this virus.  Our original plan was to sell this outpost in spring 2020 and move to a condo on the island of Moloka'i.  Now staying isolated in an area with an abundance of wildlife and flowing good water is more important that abundant sunshine and warm temperatures. 

• Like 4

I moved from the fastest growing part of my state (NW Arkansas) back to the poor squalor of the Arkansas Delta. 

Everyone is leaving here for opportunities elsewhere.  That means I'm exactly where I want to be.

Sparse population and a clean water source are a good thing.

• Like 4

On 12/2/2020 at 9:39 PM, retro said:

Medicare? What's that ? When I get sick & die the birds will pick my bones clean. Thats my insurance policy. LOL

Just another gov., racket.

Edited by LedFTed

I'm on Medicare and not complaining about it. I have $144 deducted for it each month and spend another $215 on a supplement. My wife's insurance is $700 a month. I paid into it and I earned it. Same with Social Security. I've hardly touched my retirement savings. Plus I made a point of quarantining at the hunting shack for over 50 days this year so I don't have much to complain about. Nobody wants to pay for insurance until you need it.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, PROV said:

quarantining at the hunting shack

And that ladies and gentlemen is how you do it!

• Like 4

$700.oo a month seems high. the bills at a hospital, an way higher, when ya gotta go there. if i'm complaining, an i am some, its just medicare don't give enough information. and im sick of all the commercials. come the 7th of dec. i wont worry bout that, till the next year. why pearl harbor day for the annual enrollment deadline?

lucky i got a spring, to access. just have to filter the water. food, not so much, yet. growing food where your at, is more important that buying it from china., even S.America. the revenge thing, with water, though i think it applies to food as well.

Edited by LedFTed

Hasn't effected me or my wife at all. She is a teacher and I work a government job and neither have missed a pay check and we are both very thankful for that.. If anything we have spent more on food just with the boys being home more. I have eaten in a restaurant maybe 4 times since this virus hit. I honestly don't miss it at all. Never been a fan of crowds. My boss was sent home because his wife ended up testing positive and then after 2 weeks he tested positive. Lucky for him, he didn't have to use any sick time because a month will really eat away at it. Stocked the freezer with deer meat for so we should be good on that end. Our chickens are really putting the eggs out good still even with the drop in temps. 

• Like 5

I work for a company that manufactures new and reconditions CNC machines.  Before the virus we had a backlog of over a year. We sold few to no new machines after the virus.  About a third of the workforce has been laid off. I'm still working but everyone is doing 40 hours.  I always worked at least 50 hours with the option to work 60.  My income is down about 20K this year. My wife is a CPA, her income has not been affected. We have always lived comfortably but not extravagantly.  We haven't had to dip into our savings but we are saving less than usual.

• Like 3

This past 10 months have been a real eye opener on how little stock of items a store chain handles.  So many items went out of stock just because the demand increased so rapidly.   Little spritzer bottles on Amazon were here today and gone tomorrow.   People just like me got the idea of filling a 2oz spray bottle with alcohol and shoving it in their pockets when they went out on public.

It's been nearly impossible to predict some of the shortages and even harder to understand why a particular item is the target for hoarders.

Something as simple as a 3" snow prediction causes panic buying anymore.  Go figure.  

• Like 3

I view binge buying and "hoarding" as meathead minion gate keepers label us.... as a necessary part of life. Stocking up and being prepared for unpredictable events and periods is something that everyone should have been practicing all along since childhood, since they chose to allow themselves and their families to be dependant children of governments & their corps. Unfortunately it takes an incoming threat to wake most folks up. This is good!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, retro said:

I view binge buying and "hoarding" as meathead minion gate keepers label us.... as a necessary part of life. Stocking up and being prepared for unpredictable events and periods is something that everyone should have been practicing all along since childhood, since they chose to allow themselves and their families to be dependant children of governments & their corps. Unfortunately it takes an incoming threat to wake most folks up. This is good!!!!

my dad stocked up for KY2 or whatever, was when it turned 2000. i got a nice enough Century propane stove for camping. some time later. [apparently, the stove was named right].

the doom an gloom never happened. i converted my ole Coleman stove to propane, but that was pragmatic, i thought they were charging too much for white gas.

• Like 1