Fishfiles

Mechanic tricks

Battery nuts can be a bumper  , they usually give you two length size bolts  with a new battery size  , if you have accessories like a winch , lights etc , you need a longer bolt , one is too short and one too long , I been buying Dura-Cell batteries, a little more expensive , but not only a 2 year warranty , there are two threaded places to attach eyelets , and the entire post is made of lead and two  places to thread a bolt into , no nut ----when those square nuts get frozen , it will break off the post on a lot of batteries when trying to get them off 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CamKnouff said:

I don't believe I am familiar with the wet bread trick for blind holes.  Have used grease and a stick (sorry, I meant a non-marring specialized impacting tool - biodegradable)

i used fresh bread, not dried out yet. just squash it in your hand till its like dough, cept for the crust. pack it in, find something thats near the I.D. of the inner part of the bearing. hit it with a hammer, comes right out.

@CamKnouff this .... better on an engine that pulled (if need be), I've done this with trans slid back, or removed, and like he said much better then using grease, lol. you can also do this on blind blind cases with sealed bearings. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

i never had access to dry ice, lol just the shop fridge ice box, but now now toombs brothers dairy has liquid nitrogen tank,  (for bull semon storage) a buddy of mine and myself froze a wrench, and broke it in half, with just a light tap. i dont know how it would work on bearings etc. i still have the open end part of the wrench in one of my tool chest. 

21 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Just a quick little trick to add to the thread...

When installing a battery the screws can be just a tad too short. You end up needing to hold the fastener and it is just a pain.

Take a bit of sticky backed foam and cut a small square. No more nut falling into the bike and getting lost. Some battery brands include these type of fasteners but one sheet of foam can make hundreds.

Thanks for looking!

20201206_115154.jpg

20201206_115245.jpg

I usually just break off a piece of stick and poke it under the nut.  I work in the yard, so always lots of sticks around!

• Like 2