Fishfiles

Remote Control Toys

loved the play-grade cars when my son (now 40yrs old) was a boy ...he and I would play chase and tag around the parking lot at my office, etc...fun times.. Tyco stuff.

never had luck nor stomach for the budget needed to get into serious aircraft.

that said, I do own 2 drones - one was an overpriced and flawed Hubsan..early model (H109)..one of the first with a return to home feature..when it worked, the bird was fun, when it would go crazy..well..my wife would panic and then a crash would ensue or a tree would eat it.  I did learn the value of better blades to reduce prop wash when an inexperienced pilot decends too quickly or wrongly and honestly i can fly it and have a blast..it just doesn't work for her sometimes.

also got one of those little Doby selfy drones...bout the size of a fat iphone..love that thing..fly by smartphone, small to carry on road trips...downside now, nobody permits flight...lord if you get caught taking some nice footage on the Blue Ridge for example..you'll go to jail longer than most armed robbers...so , sadly what I had hoped I would enjoy about the compact drones, just hasn't always been the case..beach scenes can mean winds that can be trouble, my own property is fun, but after a while...

• Like 2

I've seen some of those vids...wild...and we have a good hawk population..so yeah, someday I guess.

my bigger challenge is we tend to want to fly up high (yes we are registered and know the rules) but have enjoyed getting some overhead shots of the property..but there's a grass runway just a couple miles away and when I hear a lil prop firing up.. I know to go ahead and start coming down, cause once a plane is in the air, it can be in my airspace a lot faster than I can get back down with a quad..although the new blades are testing really well..no wobble and not confusing the computer up high..and I've done tests of hard launch and then hard shove straight back down ..up n down over and over and the bird is really stable.. I'm sure it will just wait til it's way up over the lake some day to toilet bowl on me and splash it. (LOL)

Speaking of drones ---  I got multiple  friends that are serious hog hunters , no guns , just  knives , rope and hands , they carry side arms for an emergency but down shoot them , catch them live , they video their adventures with remote control , self flying drones that follow the collar around the lead dogs neck , they have collision avoidance so they will not run into a tree , the drone  keeps the set distance from the dog , so as the dog speeds up or stops , it stays right at the right place to film it all , the premo videos are not given out , don't think they want the animal rights people to get hold of them , you can see a few mild ones on you-tube , oh400ex would be wanting them videos deleted , LOL

The funniest I seen was the lead dog which  is a Catahola , it is right on the tail of a big boar , first one of the pack , the boar gets cornered and is facing the dog , the dog is barking and keeps looking back over it's shoulder and barking , not making any attempt to go at with the pig , when here comes the platoon of pit bulls wearing Kevlar vest , they charge right in and take quick control of the boar by biting him on the ears and testicles till he is passive  on the ground , the fight is over , so after the boar is down the Catahoula runs in and gets a quick bite on the pigs leg , shakes his head violently  , then runs back away and barks , did that 3 times 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

my Doby can track me. but battery life is the real issue that makes so many of these impractical... I envy the guys that can afford the serious birds that can do that kind of thing.

I have to admit, I react with some emotion to the dog hunt techniques..one thing to track em and run em to ground so you can take a shot, but the pack of dogs thing just really gets cruel..and yet, I know what a hog like that would do to your dog or even to you.. I've got no qualms with killing the hogs.. I just tend to squim a bit when I see the pits engaged like that.

I really enjoy watching coyote hunts with Reel dog technique..watching how the yotes think and try to lead those dogs out and then will swoop in to attack their rear hinds on the reel...amazingly smart...

and the yotes are so much faster than the average hunt dog...that one guy that runs the corn fields, uses drone and sets greyhounds loose...the coyotes are used to being the fastest and those greyhounds just run it down.. I'd be worried about damage to the hounds with their thin skin, but I guess he knows what he's getting them into..amazing speed..so , yeah, pits or rots are the answer on a large hog fer sure..I'd just rather sit in a blind and watch the feed pile and get it done... I'm such a girly guy (grin)

I'd like to see what those animal rights activist would do to control the exploding population.... im all I'll all in for controlling wild hogs. anyways ... just stating my opinion, they sure make it harder for farmers and land owners to manage crop land, can even drop land prices. 

if any are seen around here, there just shot / killed our right, i believe it's becoming a popular sport out west. 

• Like 1

yep...they are bad news and nasty animals..fortunately I don't have any to deal with on my immediate property...best friend an hour down the road on several hundred acres that I also invest in...has cattle and pigs..and the wild hogs are a problem...he keeps an AR15 in the truck  and on the big tractor at all times so he can shoot if the oppty presents.

We do have yotes here at the house...neighbors take shots at night as opptys arise..in fact, the mated pair that I see on our trail cams has been missing the female for a couple weeks..hopefully she's dead rather than holed up in den with pups.

neighbor and I were just talking last weekend about setting aside some time to sit out and wait for a couple evenings with my electronic call...he sees them consistently down in the horse pasture and we both want them gone.

• Like 1