Dude22573

Pilot Screw

Has anyone found a pilot screw that can be adjusted with your fingers for a 400x? Similar to the pic. I can find them all day for a 450r...

FF5E5EF3-6BBB-4D90-B63D-BFC849BE610B.png

Don't remember where I seen it , they make a flexible extension  adjuster , looks about 3- 4 inches long and makes adjusting easier , if they have one for a 400X I don't know  ( you wrote 400X , I think you mean 400EX ) , Slammed Ranger  and OH400EX would know 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Don't remember where I seen it , they make a flexible extension  adjuster , looks about 3- 4 inches long and makes adjusting easier , if they have one for a 400X I don't know  ( you wrote 400X , I think you mean 400EX ) , Slammed Ranger  and OH400EX would know 

I've never used one of these adjustable Air/Fuel screws so I can't speak to them personally.

The 400x model is the same as 400ex but newer and with reverse. Off top of my head it was 05 and on that were 400x and everything before was ex

Edit: This is something like the tool that fish is speaking of. I used it on the scooters a bunch but on the 400 I just loosen the carb, adjust and put it back. Don't really adjust very often personally... set and forget.

51uL1AyMTuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by oh400ex

19 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

I've never used one of these adjustable Air/Fuel screws so I can't speak to them personally.

The 400x model is the same as 400ex but newer and with reverse. Off top of my head it was 05 and on that were 400x and everything before was ex

Edit: This is something like the tool that fish is speaking of. I used it on the scooters a bunch but on the 400 I just loosen the carb, adjust and put it back. Don't really adjust very often personally... set and forget.

51uL1AyMTuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks, I will track one of these down. 

Motion pro makes a 90° tool for adjusting. But your 400x will need a D shaped adapter. Unless someone has already replaced it with a pre 05 mixture screw that will be just a flat tip head. You may also have to drill the plug out that they put in on 05 and newer carbs. Emissions crap. They do not make a finger adjustable one for a 400ex. I have a r&d flex screw on my fcr but the oem 400ex carb is not a racing carb and never will be. Anyone wanting to make power out of the 400ex motor will quickly ditch the stock carb for an fcr or even a 450r carb. These two carb can do things the oem carb couldnt even dream of. But that is why none of the aftermarket companys have picked up to need for one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

Motion pro makes a 90° tool for adjusting. But your 400x will need a D shaped adapter. Unless someone has already replaced it with a pre 05 mixture screw that will be just a flat tip head. You may also have to drill the plug out that they put in on 05 and newer carbs. Emissions crap. They do not make a finger adjustable one for a 400ex. I have a r&d flex screw on my fcr but the oem 400ex carb is not a racing carb and never will be. Anyone wanting to make power out of the 400ex motor will quickly ditch the stock carb for an fcr or even a 450r carb. These two carb can do things the oem carb couldnt even dream of. But that is why none of the aftermarket companys have picked up to need for one.

I figured there was a good reason why I could not find a finger adjustable screw... I had to clean the carb again and this time I removed the pilot screw so I could do a better job of cleaning. I cut a slot in the head of it so I could adjust with a flat head but that is difficult while it is on the machine. I may give the motion pro a try if the cheap one does not work. Thanks for the reply. 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 3:25 PM, Dude22573 said:

I figured there was a good reason why I could not find a finger adjustable screw... I had to clean the carb again and this time I removed the pilot screw so I could do a better job of cleaning. I cut a slot in the head of it so I could adjust with a flat head but that is difficult while it is on the machine. I may give the motion pro a try if the cheap one does not work. Thanks for the reply. 

Not sure if this is too late but you could look up the part number of your jet, then find a different atv that takes the same jet part number. After that, find the extended pilot jet for the other machine & use it on yours (since the part numbers would be the same).

Or you could modify the current jet with some epoxy glue and a little extender.

5 hours ago, texas123 said:

Not sure if this is too late but you could look up the part number of your jet, then find a different atv that takes the same jet part number. After that, find the extended pilot jet for the other machine & use it on yours (since the part numbers would be the same).

Or you could modify the current jet with some epoxy glue and a little extender.

Thanks for the reply but I was able to get one of the flexible carb adjustment tools to work.