Fishfiles

ATC aka. Three Wheeler

Never noticed a ATC thread in the mix , been thinking of getting one as a project , here is a nice one to start the thread off with image.png

• Like 5

would this project be a mud bike in the end ?  speeking of, haven't heard anything from @LBZ lately, last i recall he was working on a 

ATC250ES build. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

would this project be a mud bike in the end ?  speeking of, haven't heard anything from @LBZ lately, last i recall he was working on a 

ATC250ES build. 

Certainly not a Pavement Princess or a Lawn Lounger  ---- just looked on my phone ,  been since Oct 11 since I had contact with LBZ , see him on Honda Hoarders and the Honda Club every now and then , that project ATC of his is fine 

• Like 1

my first exposure to an "ATV" was if I remember right, a friend's 250cc? Kawasaki 3wheeler..strong bike...we would go flying (literally) out over the tiered farmland fields..pester the cattle, etc...tons of fun..and as long as you understood the principle of the single wheel up front, you didn't experience any life threatening turn-overs.

given that 90% of my ATV riding is here on my own property, I could enjoy a 3...they aren't allowed on the rental trails in our area..but it's been over 2 years since I bothered to go to one of those anyway.

the one you've pictured...purty !!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Certainly not a Pavement Princess or a Lawn Lounger  ---- just looked on my phone ,  been since Oct 11 since I had contact with LBZ , see him on Honda Hoarders and the Honda Club every now and then , that project ATC of his is fine 

man, i didn't think it had been that long sence he was here, next time you hear from him, get him to give some updates on his build, I've got his number stored, i might just text him see whats going on.  i figured your new project might be a might be a mud bike ? 

• Like 1

The way to go would be a 86-87 ATC250ES , modified 300 engine ,  250 side gear / output shaft , 54% reduction , clutch kit , extended swing arm , extended  front shock tube ,  29.5 tires Outlaw tires with wheel spacers  , and of course a snorkel ----  getting tweaks in my throttle thumb just thinking about it 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

The way to go would be a 86-87 ATC250ES , modified 300 engine ,  250 side gear / output shaft , 54% reduction , clutch kit , extended swing arm , extended  front shock tube ,  29.5 tires Outlaw tires with wheel spacers  , and of course a snorkel ----  getting tweaks in my throttle thumb just thinking about it 

no...the way to go is to let someone like you who knows what the heck he's doing..build me one and hand me the key so I can go play. (grin)

oh, and for the record..I'm with you on everything except the reduction..we're pretty flat around here...don't much need the low low end...love to feel the engine bringing the torque and moving me out of the hole.

• Like 2

I'm still wanting my friends atc250r ... talk about fast, i  come to find out he also has a has a 350x ... both mint, nether he will consider parting with, but if would he consider, i think i would chose the x I've looked for a good condition 250es, theirs not one to be seen anywhere around here, the last one i saw was a years ago, I'd snatch one in a few if i could find one in good condition, reminds of a 500r that was brought up to the shop for tires, and a friend, who used ride weekends with our crew, had never seen one, and asked LJ, if he could take it down the drive, when he came back his eyes were big as golf balls, haha! the said it was too much for him, and he's a big ol boy, clamed earths gravitational pull has suddenly disappeared .... lol!! 

• Like 2

I had a Honda ATC 250R back in the day,  It was an 86 (I think). It was very fast and very unstable.  It was used to riding 2 stroke dirt bikes so I didn't care for the instability of it.  I didnt have it long before I sold it and bought a TRX 250R.  

• Like 3

Here was my beast. 86 Yamaha 250 Tri-Z. Got clocked beside my buddies car at 134km/hr in 4th. 5th was broke. This was when I was maybe 15 or early 16.  I’d have another in a heart beat if I find one up here. I look ever soo often. Bud a fun rebuild project. 

0B8A672A-BD9F-47CC-BD4E-ADD791557B58.png

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bighanded said:

I'm with you on everything except the reduction..we're pretty flat around here...don't much need the low low end...love to feel the engine bringing the torque and moving me out of the hole.

You really do need the reduction to run 29.5s ---- 27s would be about the limit without reduction 

there's just something about having one front wheel out front, better veiw of up coming terrain, at least, in my circumstance, plus if you push the limits on any machine, there's always a chance things will go south. 

• Haha 1

Heres a vid of me on my buddies 84, 3rd gear was busted & the rear axle bent. I hit some ice as the front was coming up and....my tail bone hurt for a few days 😮

I also have a few vids on there with sound from 83 & pics from 83-85, all of mine & friends 3 wheelers. 

1984 ATC250R Crash - YouTube

• Like 2
  • Sad 1