Teufelsschlüssel

2001 Rubicon 500 Hondamatic Transmission

On 1/13/2021 at 12:33 PM, fortin_guillaume said:

Hi Teufelsschlussel,

Have you made any progess on this rebuild?

I am in the proccess myselff of trying to salvage a rubicon with a bad hondamatic. Any updates would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi, and welcome. Progress has been slow. I've had to buy everything online and wait for shipping which was particularly slow over the holidays. The engine is still in the shop for cleanup. JeepWM69's post is right on the mark. If you have the ability to machine hardened steel, this job is potentially doable. It depends on how much collateral damage the bearing caused when it failed. My advise to you would be to get in touch with Mr. Bertram in Minnesota. By the time you take it all apart, clean it, order new bearings and figure out how to reduce the diameter of the swash plate - his rebuilt Hondamatic may very well be a bargain.

• Like 3

I have a write up on the other forum about changing this. I got lucky and found someone who had a new tranny and never used it. Bought it for $1000. I was able to sell the old one for parts on ebay for $200. I never took it apart but suspect that main bearing was going out because I found plastic bits from the bearing race in the oil system. 

I didn't see it mentioned, suggest you change the oil pump while you have everything tore apart. Open and clean the oil tank too.

• Like 1

I need a hondamatic for a 2002 500 rubicon my bearing exploded is it possible to rebuild / machine a new one I can find a replacement with a steel cage 

On 12/18/2020 at 11:05 PM, Teufelsschlüssel said:

BCSMAN; thanks very much. German ancestry but 4th generation American here. I am also from the Great Lakes State - Livingston County.  I've seen a number of us (Michiganders) here and glad to know we are sharing in our knowledge and paying it forward. One of the Hondamatic experts I referenced earlier is also from Michigan, although I'm not altogether sure he's still at it. I'm going to see if I can straighten this out with some of our local talent. If not I will be seeking out the services of Mr. Bertram.

T, I am from Mi. as well. Oceana Co. currently. I have a 01 trx580fa with a bad tranny, still looks like new! I see you mentioned another Michigander that may rebuild these, do you have any contacts for him? Id like to get it going again, only pd $500 & it looked brand new, I got 4 weeks out of it!

Thanks for any info,

yooper66

On 12/15/2020 at 10:53 PM, Teufelsschlüssel said:

Hi; I'm new and I am hoping I found the best Honda ATV site on the inter-web. I tried another site (which shall not be named) but no technical expertise there...thanks to JeepWM69 for the tip 😉 I'll post an intro when I am not pressed for time but I'd like to throw this out right now so I can hit the rack for an early wake-up.

I picked up a 2001 Rubicon 500 with a failed transmission. The guy I bought it from listed it as a parts machine. He put a fair amount of money into brakes and suspension before tackling the transmission and deciding it wasn't worth the additional time and cost. I did some snooping and discovered that there are a couple of people that have rebuilt them with improved bearings and some machine work.

Straight to the point: The transmission is out but I am having trouble getting it apart. I was able to separate what I believe is the pump side - the one with 7 pistons. The other side (motor) has an obvious seam after the bolts were removed but I can't get it separated. One of the bearings inside this assembly is completely destroyed, seeing as some pieces have already made their way out. It is interesting that all of the other bearings so far rotate smoothly, with no play. This includes the large, plastic-caged bearings on either end of the shaft. I don't know but this notorious broken bearing may be the reason I can't get it apart. If someone with experience tearing into these could provide some tips/tricks, I would really appreciate it.

t.r.

How many miles on the machine plz? Thx

15 hours ago, yooper66 said:

T, I am from Mi. as well. Oceana Co. currently. I have a 01 trx580fa with a bad tranny, still looks like new! I see you mentioned another Michigander that may rebuild these, do you have any contacts for him? Id like to get it going again, only pd $500 & it looked brand new, I got 4 weeks out of it!

Thanks for any info,

yooper66

Thanks for any info,

yooper66

Thanks for any info,

yooper66

@yooper66

read this

• Like 1