_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Wow, that's a pile , my back hurts just looking at it 

Well I didn't cut it all in one day, try to pace myself and take breaks now that I'm a seasoned citizen....lol

Just try to do all my cutting, hauling, and splitting in spring and fall to make life easier....

• Like 2

I have an old oil furnace, but use a wood stove in the basement as a secondary source of heat. Usually end up finding scrap wood where i can, though not desperate to get it. This year we had a bad storm, end of a hurricane, so i got lots of fallen maple, oak, etc downtown the following few days. Bit of a work out! Borrowed a bud of mine's wood splitter for the 2nd time ever in 2 years.

wood 2020.jpg

woo splttr.jpg

Edited by ATC4ever
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

Oh.. & thats a Honda wood splitter 😆

Think it needs an upgrade to a nice 450 engine......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still behind on my supply, but... things on my end might be changing soon, anyways ... that's a sharp looking blue tank! 

• Sad 1

i wouldn't mind trying one out ether .... just needs a cooling system.... and maybe slightly  bigger tires then it could towed ... over rough terrain ... i often short saw over size logs .... so YES, this would be qiuck, n very handy ... with some mods ... this could also be turned into a tump grinder ...

Yesterday, my dad, my best friend and I helped another friend with removing 2 large beech trees overhanging the road.

We had to remove much of the canopy using the telescopic boom before gaining permission from the neighbour across the road to drop the second tree into his field.

17 helpers in total and a tele handler made quick and easy work of clearing the road beneath us. We also topped a load of leylandi cypress trees but the 2 of us were so busy with driving and cutting that we didn't get any photos.

One little helper brought his own saw (Bosch!) to give us a dig out!

20200905_130444.jpg

20200905_172623.jpg

IMG-20200905-WA0005.jpg

20200905_141259.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

ah..... that 1st pic will sure get the blood going... lol 

We topped the first tree about 20ft down from the top (the boom wouldn't reach any higher). Unfortunately for us it spun on the stump before brushing off us and almost crushing my wrist, my friend got away with a minor cut. Reaping the pain of it today!

So we got permission to just drop the second tree in one cut at the butt, a much safer and quicker way to get it down!

• Like 3

I'm new here and I just got through reading this thread and really enjoyed it.  You guys have a lot of nice equipment.  The only thing that I'd like to have that I don't is a front end loader for my tractor so I could scoop the wood up for splitting and just throw it right back in the bucket and take it to the woodshed.  It may be in the future if I can find one for a good price that'll fit my tractor.

I've got four chainsaws.  Husqvarna 372XP, 346XP, 359 and a small Makita.  The Makita is a rebadged Dolmar and it's very small and is fantastic for limbing.  The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have an oiler adjustment and it goes through a lot of bar oil.  I bought the 346XP after the epa required a cat muffler so I just bought a non cat muffler and then set the high rpm with a tach.  

I've got a sharpener that came from Northern Tools and I think it's a close copy of one of the Oregon sharpeners.  I like it because I'm a lousy hand filer and I just sharpen several chains and change them out when one gets dull.  My splitter is a 22 ton Huskee and it has split everything I've tried with it but I could use a little more oomph on some of the gnarly stuff.  I have an old Fisher Grandpa Bear in the basement that I heat with.  I've read that they're not very efficient and that's probably true but it sure does keep the house warm.

Ain't nothin' like wood heat. 

• Like 4

Bunch of us burn wood here, I figure 90% or so in the Michigan winter is wood heat, cut all my own from my woods so price is right....

• Like 1

I live in the city. It is illegal to have a fire on your property. People do it. I just moved in with my fiance. Had a fire the other night. Just a small one. Guess the neighbour called the fire department on us. Warning issued. Next time $550.00 fine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

I live in the city. It is illegal to have a fire on your property. People do it. I just moved in with my fiance. Had a fire the other night. Just a small one. Guess the neighbour called the fire department on us. Warning issued. Next time $550.00 fine.

Sounds like the local teenage trouble makers need to be antiquated with that neighbor...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2