_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

My tractor is a Ford 2810 and I bought it in 1989 I think.  I'll see if I can find some pictures.

I have some trees on my property but I like to get it from people cutting down trees out of their yards or wherever.  I got some ash from a neighbor a week or so ago.  I do have a few dead ash trees that need to come down.  I like to save mine for the times if and when I can't find it anyplace else.  

• Like 3

if i lived in within the city limits here... i couldn't  use my outside (hardy h-4 ) wood burner ... because of EPA regs .... and the new updated models are junk from what my local dealer has old me ... 

8 hours ago, Big Bird said:

I live in the city. It is illegal to have a fire on your property. People do it. I just moved in with my fiance. Had a fire the other night. Just a small one. Guess the neighbour called the fire department on us. Warning issued. Next time $550.00 fine.

thats actually the way it is within the city limits of columbia you have to have a burn permit (pay to burn) before you can have even the smallest open fire, or even a burn barrel fire ... unless it's grill for cooking, or a deck burn pit ....other then that NOPE .... not without a permit... the 1st is a warning ... then your address is documented .... next time is a fine... 

8 hours ago, RubiDan said:

My tractor is a Ford 2810 and I bought it in 1989 I think.  I'll see if I can find some pictures.

I have some trees on my property but I like to get it from people cutting down trees out of their yards or wherever.  I got some ash from a neighbor a week or so ago.  I do have a few dead ash trees that need to come down.  I like to save mine for the times if and when I can't find it anyplace else.  

thanks, post as many pics as you like!  just an idea ... i called wolf tree trimming a few years back .. when it was time to clear close limbs from power /cable lines .... i scored big that year.. but i had to stay right on there tail.... so you might try local tree trimming services ... sometimes they will even bring the wood to you, I'm like you .. i leave healthy standing trees, and go for dying , dead, or downed trees on my property... plus neighbors often tell me ... we need a downed tree cleaned up... so ... so I'm the local termite around here ... lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

thanks, post as many pics as you like!  just an idea ... i called wolf tree trimming a few years back .. when it was time to clear close limbs from power /cable lines .... i scored big that year.. but i had to stay right on there tail.... so you might try local tree trimming services ... sometimes they will even bring the wood to you, I'm like you .. i leave healthy standing trees, and go for dying , dead, or downed trees on my property... plus neighbors often tell me ... we need a downed tree cleaned up... so ... so I'm the local termite around here ... lol.

I accidently posted a couple pics of my 372XP in the introduction thread when I thought I was posting here.  I know I had some of my other saws but couldn't find them.  I must've lost them when my last computer crashed.  I've thought about calling a tree service but haven't ever done it.  I'm a natural born procrastinator.  I watch craigslist and am always on the lookout for wood.  Some people like pretty wood and that's ok but I'll take wood in all shapes and sizes.  I won't burn pine or cedar because I'm afraid it might cause a chimney fire.  I burned some cottonwood last year and that might be the only wood that I won't waste my time on again. 

• Like 1

Cotten wood ? now your talking about a type of i won't mess with at all i  had my 1st dealings with it two years ago.... it seems to never dry out enough to burn good. as for ... cedar, I'll mix... it, but pine .... nope i won't mess with it ether. I've had it, cotten wood go out too many times when the furness goes into sleep mode.

• Like 3

Cottonwood up here is the same as poplar, is it the same down your way wilson??  I will burn a little if a large limb falls but never load my stove with it...

• Like 1

yea, i believe it is the poplar, i never load mine with it ether. it's not easy to get the dragon re fired whe she goes out. 

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Cotten wood ? now your talking about a type of i won't mess with at all i  had my 1st dealings with it two years ago.... it seems to never dry out enough to burn good. as for ... cedar, I'll mix... it, but pine .... nope i won't mess with it ether. I've had it, cotten wood go out too many times when the furness goes into sleep mode.

This is the kind that I'm talking about.  It's very heavy when green and when it finally did dry it was very light.  I had heard that it wasn't much but when my son built a house on the end of my place I cut it down and said what the heck.  When it does dry it will burn but it doesn't last long.  Sycamore is low on my list of woods but I'll take sycamore over this any day.  That is as long as my splitter is working.  I choke my stove down quite a bit at night so I'm afraid that they cedar will build up creosote in the chimney and catch on fire.  I love it for a campfire though.  

See the source image

Edited by RubiDan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

thats actually the way it is within the city limits of columbia you have to have a burn permit (pay to burn) before you can have even the smallest open fire, or even a burn barrel fire ... unless it's grill for cooking, or a deck burn pit ....other then that NOPE .... not without a permit... the 1st is a warning ... then your address is documented .... next time is a fine... 

In some rural areas you need a burn permit others you dont. People in the past have had hotdogs on hand and say they are cooking. Not anymore. Propane heaters and fire tables are ok.

It sucks as it is getting cooler at night now and I enjoy a nice small fire and have a beer...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RubiDan said:

Sycamore is low on my list of woods but I'll take sycamore over this any day.

my brother-in-law gave me a few cottonwood trees.... had been down for at least 6 months .... and never did cure oure out even after sawed up .. but i did take it... and even mixing it with other types didnt help... it was always a cottonwood log left on the grates ... and Sycamore ... yes that also is low on my list... I've used it before, and cured it burns like paper, but it's a rare tree around my area ... 

• Like 1

On September 8, 2020 at 5:56 PM, Big Bird said:

In some rural areas you need a burn permit others you dont. People in the past have had hotdogs on hand and say they are cooking. Not anymore. Propane heaters and fire tables are ok.

It sucks as it is getting cooler at night now and I enjoy a nice small fire and have a beer...

i hear you.... after oct 15th here in the outskirts ..... there is no outside burning of brush piles .... not even a camp fire ... i sometimes start a small fire when I'm cutting up firewood... to burn the brush... .. and had TWRA, and  the county fire department called on me ... but ... I've always had the calls canceled ... after calling my old chief ... there's no telling how many fines i would have had for just keeping my own land clean of small brush piles .. i may have to invest in a wood chipper ... before too long.. 

On 9/10/2020 at 7:00 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

i may have to invest in a wood chipper ... before too long.. 

Those chippers are good for lots of things......with three daughters now I need to get one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Those chippers are good for lots of things......with three daughters now I need to get one.

Jeep have you ever seen "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia" the movie?

Just watching the trailer will do. It is a documentary about a family of rednecks that are always getting into trouble called the Whites.

One of the best lines from the film (it is in the trailer too) is from the mama and she it ends with "I got three mine shafts up this holler"

Life around me for some folks is not totally different from how it is portrayed in this film. Totally reminds me of home lol

Language and Content Warning! NSFW

Spoiler

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

@jeepwm69 well.... when they get a tad older .... you'll have extra hands ...to help out. 

Anyone ever had one of these in their hands?

They call it a Hatchet and it is part of the M12 series of tools

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/Saws/2527-21

I want it for one handed trimming. Currently use a 170 for anything that needs to be taken down in the air and have been looking at an electric one.

This looks like a great replacement! Prefer the green/blue ones but red is good too. I ran them for work and they took the abuse well. Bought the M12 impact because it is so light and does most everything for a small job.

hatchet.PNG

Edited by oh400ex
Photo

i haven't ever had any dealings with battery powered saws ... call me old fashion... but I'm just used to gas powered saws (die hard stihl fan), have you ever thought about a gas powered pole saw ? kill two birds with one stone ... that is unless a pole saw would be over kill ? the  1st  is a longer reach .... 2nd would be NOT having the chain and bar so close ... lol ... but that is a nice looking battery powered saw, and surely NOT as costly as a stihl. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i haven't ever had any dealings with battery powered saws ... call me old fashion... but I'm just used to gas powered saws (die hard stihl fan), have you ever thought about a gas powered pole saw ? kill two birds with one stone ... that is unless a pole saw would be over kill ? the  1st  is a longer reach .... 2nd would be NOT having the chain and bar so close ... lol ... but that is a nice looking battery powered saw, and surely NOT as costly as a stihl. 

Good suggestion for sure but I already have a pole saw.

What I am looking for is just an alternative to what I already use the 170 for. We are a Stihl household as well lol

Not a huge fan or Stihl's newer stuff and prefer the old 029 over pretty much anything I have ran. Not for this job but in general wood cutting.

Yep Stihl guy here too, have an 009L, 031AV, and 360.  Saw for every size and certainly nothing new there...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Good suggestion for sure but I already have a pole saw.

What I am looking for is just an alternative to what I already use the 170 for. We are a Stihl household as well lol

Not a huge fan or Stihl's newer stuff and prefer the old 029 over pretty much anything I have ran. Not for this job but in general wood cutting.

your welcome, I've been a die hard fan for as long as i can recall.... i have a o39 .... that is one wood chip throwing beast ... lol, she's never been in the shop... just a couple new bars over the years and a new clutch.. plus chains ... spark plugs filters etc... but i am in the market for a new to me stihl backup.... let us know how that electric deal works if you pull the trigger. 

3 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

your welcome, I've been a die hard fan for as long as i can recall.... i have a o39 .... that is one wood chip throwing beast ... lol, she's never been in the shop... just a couple new bars over the years and a new clutch.. plus chains ... spark plugs filters etc... but i am in the market for a new to me stihl backup.... let us know how that electric deal works if you pull the trigger. 

The old 029 super is a great weight to power ratio and you could likely find one blown up or needing a carburetor for $50

The parts for a rebuild are not only really available but super cheap. Can never have enough chainsaws lol

13 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

The old 029 super is a great weight to power ratio and you could likely find one blown up or needing a carburetor for $50

The parts for a rebuild are not only really available but super cheap. Can never have enough chainsaws lol

ive heard people brag on them... so i might look into it ..i have to admit the o39 gets gets heavy ... over time .. then.. i tend to let the weight .., do the down force ... for me .. but now that's on horizontal  laying trees .. i just hang on.. to grips real good ... lol.... it becomes a kick back issue then... but  keep the chain lock in very working order.  

• Like 1

i got a red max GZ3500T, chainsaw for limbs, though i use it for more then that. and a red-max weed wacker, TR2350S, i bought some years ago. both are light weight, but heavy duty in the work that they do. Red-Max is an offshoot of Husqvarna. my 2000 Husqvarna 51 is still running, thought it always has started like a Harley.

8 hours ago, LedFTed said:

i got a red max GZ3500T, chainsaw for limbs, though i use it for more then that. and a red-max weed wacker, TR2350S, i bought some years ago. both are light weight, but heavy duty in the work that they do. Red-Max is an offshoot of Husqvarna. my 2000 Husqvarna 51 is still running, thought it always has started like a Harley.

glad you have some light weight machines ... handling those heavy machines all day long does get old fast... I'm just not into others brands ... if anything I'd say stihl is the honda of chainsaws / and other small machines  :-) but i guess each has their on favorite brands. 

• Like 1