_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

My grandfather use to have the stove going in winter with a big pot of water boiling all the time on top , he use to say it put humidity back into the air which the stove took out 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

My grandfather use to have the stove going in winter with a big pot of water boiling all the time on top , he use to say it put humidity back into the air which the stove took out 

It does help put humidity back. It can get dry in the room when burning. It's from the flue pulling humidified air out and colder, drier air from outside coming in. With 5 gallons of water in there it doesn't really boil but does get very hot.

• Like 2

I took my share of cold showers , I had a camper on a slip in the marina with hot water , but  my buddy had a 12 bunk house boat 30 minutes out in the marsh , sometimes I would stay at the house boat to get that early start when the fog was bad , there was no hot water heater , water was captured in 55 gallon drums from the gutter cans off the roof from rain , sometimes the supply barge from the oil field would stop by and fill up the drums during a drought , the shower was outside and this water was so cold in the winter time and being soft rain water it was hard to get the soap off 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I took my share of cold showers , I had a camper on a slip in the marina with hot water , but  my buddy had a 12 bunk house boat 30 minutes out in the marsh , sometimes I would stay at the house boat to get that early start when the fog was bad , there was no hot water heater , water was captured in 55 gallon drums from the gutter cans off the roof from rain , sometimes the supply barge from the oil field would stop by and fill up the drums during a drought , the shower was outside and this water was so cold in the winter time and being soft rain water it was hard to get the soap off 

In the winter time here, rain is called snow and water is ice.  Lol, I have washed with snow, very fast process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Prov , that cabin looks really nice , got a pic of the outside ?? 

Only pic I have right now. Shop runs full length and the whole works is 2x6 and insulated. 900 square feet on a slab, two bedrooms and one main room. 14' steel roofed awning the whole width in back. 2x6 - 16" center's. Second picture is my shack. Built the first part over 40 years ago when I was 20. Added on and put on covered deck in 2003. Second and third pictures were taken one day apart early October. Brought a portable fish house up for a heated shower house.

66022-Holstrum-Spur-Cook-MN-55723-5627371-image1-mid.jpg

IMG_20181006_155555517.jpg

IMG_20181011_072508371.jpg

• Like 4

Nice looking cabin !  I see why the stove now , all that snow , you'll must be above the Arctic Circle !!! LOL 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CamKnouff said:

In the winter time here, rain is called snow and water is ice.  Lol, I have washed with snow, very fast process.

live had cold baths and showers before, but never with snow ... most be some experience ... lol, I've heard of those people who swim in ice cold water ... i never could wrap that idea around my thinking, but .. they say it's healthy ?? 

When I live in New Orleans , I had a killer in the ground swimming pool and jacuzzi in my yard , both were heated with a huge 400,000 btu Teledyne gas heater , learn quick it was too expensive to heat the pool year round , but 1/2 hour on heat and the jacuzzi was at 105 degrees , use to love to lay out in the heat for 1/2 hour then dive into the pool on the cold days of  winter , the jump from 105 to cold is pretty wild , it will wake you up , whether or not it is good for you I don't now  , but I done it many , many times 

19 minutes ago, TBRider said:

Wilson if you did a polar dip you'd never be the same.....🤣🤣🤣

lol, i imagine not haha. it was bad enough being soaked in a freezing rain ... while feeding cattle on an open station tractor.... only heat i had was reaching up and grabbing the exhaust stack to worm up my gloves .. i never will forget the smell of burning leather .. riding 25 mph for 4 hours at covered in freezing rain all the way to the bone was enough for me .... i can admit it was new experience ...especially having the hay rings stick to your hands .. 

Not exactly firewood related, but then again we need a tool to sort out the brash left over from cutting down trees!

Here's a short snippet of me using my modified chipper, its powered by a Loncin 5.5hp 200cc petrol engine (a Honda replica) but it's a super little machine for what it is. It won't chip anything bigger than about 2 inches, but it cleans up a pile of brash like the one photo'd in about 1 hour.

For this particular job, there was side access to the rear garden but it was blocked by a shed, so due to its width at 24 inches, I was able to wheel it through the house!

The mods:

I added a swivel front axle for ease of movement.

New emergency stop button to replace the crappy bar that came with it (it really was a pain in the arse!)

Replaced the adjustable outfeed chute with a fixed square chute for better results of chips exiting the machine.

This machine is ideal for me as the majority of work I do with it is in built up areas, where access is tight or restricted. It cost me €1500 with a spare set of reversible blades that I have yet to use, and I've done about 60 hours of chipping with it so far.

You can see in pic 2, the brash chipped is all the stuff from pic 5!

20200926_110403.jpg

20200926_155308.jpg

20200926_110422.jpg

20200926_160234.jpg

20200926_134018.jpg

Edited by Turbo Twister
  • Like 3

@Turbo Twister looks like she does a fine job.... i was going to ask can those  blade be sharpened .. i could use something like that after i de limb trees for fire wood ....i usually use 2 plus diameter limbs for kindling ... in the furness ... 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

@Turbo Twister looks like she does a fine job.... i was going to ask can those  blade be sharpened .. i could use something like that after i de limb trees for fire wood ....i usually use 2 plus diameter limbs for kindling ... in the furness ... 

They can yes, I use a grinder with sanding disc for best results and I swap them around every 4 or 5 hours of chipping, otherwise the outfeed chute blocks occasionally as dull blades seem to affect the vacuum flow quite a lot (as I've learnt in my time using it).

Anything bigger than 2 inches we cut up for firewood or kindling.

I was told when I bought the machine 3 years ago "it will cut up to 4 inches" so I told the guy to prove it, to which he couldn't! He ended up knocking off a few hundred euro and threw in spare blades😂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Turbo Twister said:

I was told when I bought the machine 3 years ago "it will cut up to 4 inches" so I told the guy to prove it, to which he couldn't! He ended up knocking off a few hundred euro and threw in spare blades😂

lol .... i like that.... so now you know it will do 4 inches ... plus got the price dropped and a backup set ... NICE! score! ....with it doing that brush pile in an hour ... (i agree with flipping the blades every so often) you should real good service from those blades ... can you post pics of the drum / rotor, and blades ... i need some ideas before i pick one out... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

lol .... i like that.... so now you know it will do 4 inches ... plus got the price dropped and a backup set ... NICE! score! ....with it doing that brush pile in an hour ... (i agree with flipping the blades every so often) you should real good service from those blades ... can you post pics of the drum / rotor, and blades ... i need some ideas before i pick one out... 

I know it isn't capable of 4 inches, I have put 3 inch through it in the past but it struggled a bit and I don't like seeing a machine struggle.

I'll be cleaning a load of my equipment later today so I'll get a few more snaps for you. It's one of the best machines I have. 

• Like 1

thank you! my black smith friend Steve ... has a gas powered unit he built from scratch ... he disigned it with variable speed feed rotors ... in the imput... and adjustable knives / cutter edge / blower fan and ... 5 inches is what his will take is about all his will handle ... it looks like a small version of of a silage chopper..but just as aggressive ... 

A few photos of the chipper during an annual maintenance!

I changed the oil, it has 2x sump bolts and 2x oil dip sticks for some reason, but it's very handy when checking the oil level when you are topping it up.

I grease both bearings/both sides of the drum shaft every 4 hours of use with marine grease, so it should last a good while!

20200927_133219.jpg

20200927_142713.jpg

20200927_142723.jpg

20200927_142732.jpg

20200927_142738.jpg

20200927_142751.jpg

20200927_151802.jpg

20200927_151821.jpg

• Like 1

I found this old stove at a very old logging camp site. Found it disassembled laying in the grass. Missing legs, the top insert and the draft pan. Really cool looking. Took 6 years to have a good enough freeze without a ton of snow to get it out. Assembled it this summer. Besides the design the only marking on it is New King No. 36. Can't find anyone who knows anything about the company that made it.

IMG_20200817_165932660_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

1. PROV, 1 month ago
    I have a New King No. 36 I found at an old logging camp. Wondering the age?

Look what I found , I thought I was going to find out for you  ^^^^ LOL 

• Haha 1

@Turbo Twister thanks! 

A few photos of the chipper during an annual maintenance!

I changed the oil, it has 2x sump bolts and 2x oil dip sticks for some reason, but it's very handy when checking the oil level when you are topping it up.

I grease both bearings/both sides of the drum shaft every 4 hours of use with marine grease, so it should last a good while!

my Kohlar engine is just like that on check stick, and sump plug both front and back ... i like those grease fittings on the rotor bearings .. in this pic ... better built chipper then most I've done research on .. can the anvil be taken out and flipped .... i gather it can adjusted for for tighter blade / anvil clearance ? another thing  that caught my eye was this pic ... i might be wrong .. but this bolt ...looks to have some powered  ... dis coloration on the spring washer ...might need to check it for looseness . all in all i like the design all the way, especially the knife rotor! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

9 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

@Turbo Twister thanks! 

my Kohlar engine is just like that on check stick, and sump plug both front and back ... i like those grease fittings on the rotor bearings .. in this pic ... better built chipper then most I've done research on .. can the anvil be taken out and flipped .... i gather it can adjusted for for tighter blade / anvil clearance ? another thing  that caught my eye was this pic ... i might be wrong .. but this bolt ...looks to have some powered  ... dis coloration on the spring washer ...might need to check it for looseness . all in all i like the design all the way, especially the knife rotor! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

What do you mean when you say anvil?

That bolt is still tight yes.

The bolts that hold the outfeed chute on, when I bought it 1 of the bolts was sheared, I will be upgrading the chute to a new, slightly longer one next season, as the current one, the top of the chute narrows down a good bit and I want a bigger opening to reduce blockages 

• Like 1

oh okay gotcha .... I've had pulleys bolts get a grey metalic powered coating ...sometimes even fine lite powereding of rust being slung out in a centrifugal padern ... it's also a sign of loose / worn key ways ...this pic kind of give an idea of the dis coloring .. of what I'm talking about ... those lug nuts are loose, not exactly the same ...

the anvil / shear bar is what the knives shear  / chop the wood against ...it  should be located and the bottom of the loading chute .. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PROV said:

I found this old stove at a very old logging camp site. Found it disassembled laying in the grass. Missing legs, the top insert and the draft pan. Really cool looking. Took 6 years to have a good enough freeze without a ton of snow to get it out. Assembled it this summer. Besides the design the only marking on it is New King No. 36. Can't find anyone who knows anything about the company that made it.

IMG_20200817_165932660_HDR.jpg

I have pretty much the same stove in the basement!

Shouldnt be needing it for a bit as its been warm, even over night, last night 64f 👌

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

I have pretty much the same stove in the basement!

Shouldnt be needing it for a bit as its been warm, even over night, last night 64f 👌

Have a picture?