_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

the anvil / shear bar is what the knives shear  / chop the wood against ...it  should be located and the bottom of the loading chute .. 

Ah I get you now, there's no adjustment as far as I know, apart from the 3x holes through the blades being slightly bigger than the bolts that hold them in place. I must compare the old blades in width to the new ones out of interest as I'd say they will need replacing around the 100 hour mark.

• Like 1

oh i see... so the blades are adjustable ... i figured ether one, or other was ... so i gather with the shear bar not adjustable .. it is replaceable ? in one pic .... i see what looks like a counter sunk bolt .. 

13 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh i see... so the blades are adjustable ... i figured ether one, or other was ... so i gather with the shear bar not adjustable .. it is replaceable ? in one pic .... i see what looks like a counter sunk bolt .. 

Yeah maybe only 2-3mm of adjustment though. The blades are replaceable, the shear bar is part of the main frame so you'd probably have to cut it out to replace it.

• Thanks 1

you Built that mower, and did a great job.... might there be a mod on the shear bar in the future (if needed) ? and yes... I'm trying to get you to thinking of a new mod ... lol. 

• Haha 1

I've been splitting some firewood over the last week and putting it in the barn.  I thought I'd get through with all I have on the ground but it's raining today.  I have enough wood in there for this winter, next winter and part of winter after that.  Here's a picture of my tractor and splitter.

image.png

image.png

• Like 4

I'll be in the same shape after this week. Only burn at the hunting shack. Added on to the wood shed and will get it full. Nice to be ahead of the game. Starting Friday it will get run most of 10 days.

• Like 2

@RubiDan good looking setup... i have a slip on 4 way wedge .. that would fit the hammer on your splitter .. if your interested. send me a PM ... and I'll get you the part number ... 

image.jpg

• Like 3

I appreciate the offer Jay but I doubt if my splitter could handle it on anything that had knots in it.  I've split a lot of wood with my old splitter and it's always split everything that I tried with it but if it's very gnarly it makes it hard on it.  If I had it to do over again I'd have bought a bigger splitter.  I keep saying that I'm going to make a tray for the side of mine to catch the wood but I haven't done it yet.  When I'm splitting I'm too busy and when I'm not splitting I don't think about it.

• Like 1

your welcome.... oh yea ... this will bust knots up, unless your dealing with elm ... or osage orange (bodark) you shouldn't have any issues with using it on a 22 ton splitter.... it's simple ... if you don't need it, just lift right off .... just a note .. these are not meant to be used in vertical splitting ... 

S40144200 SPEECO 4-WAY WEDGE 22-28 TON

S40144300 SPEECO 4-WAY WEDGE 28-35 TON

^^^^this is the one i have ... it's saved me many many hours ... splitting wood 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

you Built that mower, and did a great job.... might there be a mod on the shear bar in the future (if needed) ? and yes... I'm trying to get you to thinking of a new mod ... lol. 

That's true, thanks!

I do have another idea up my sleeve, I want to use the engine off the mower for a secondary stationary use, but it's just ideas in my head at the moment so I'm not saying anything about it.

Obviously with the weather in Ireland, I can't use the mower all year round but I would like to keep use of the engine for another important firewood related job. That will keep you thinking 😁👌

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 12:56 PM, PROV said:

Have a picture?

Sorry for the delay.

estove ee.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

Sorry for the delay.

estove ee.jpg

Cool. Does it have a name on the door?

nice... a friend of mine mine ... had kind close to that type / shape  in a tobacco stripping room... i tried on many occasions to purchase it from him, but he was a collector of sorts... and wouldn't turn loose of anything... sadly .. part of the farm sold ... and the barn was torn down... but i do recall loading that old iron stove ... in the dead of winter ... 

image.jpg

• Like 3

thank you, i would have loved to get my hands on that old burner .. it's just sad so many have been sent to the scrap yard... i can recall drying my gloves on top... after taking stripped tobacco  stalks out... 

not that this stove ... is related to a wood burner ... but we used hang around at my uncle, Wayne's store .. in the am, before work... and enjoyed coffee .. and farm talk around a gas stove exactly like this model ... those were the good old days ... 

image.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PROV said:

Cool. Does it have a name on the door?

Nope, no words at all, just those berry or grape looking bushels.

• Like 2

you might check for a tag on the back side ... on certain models the a number or name stamped into the metal... looks kind of like that was sand blasted ... really have to look good ... all over to find a name, or number. 

23 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

Nope, no words at all, just those berry or grape looking bushels.

i do recall seeing a front loading door just as you described (or close)  ... but as of right now i can't recall.... this might be close ... it's not exactly ... like the one but had no handle ... you just lifted the door ... off the catch ... loaded and closed it... this type you used gloves with or other ways to open the door.. lol 

image.jpg