_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

7 hours ago, oh400ex said:

@_Wilson_™

Here ya go.

First one is some small stuff just to show it working. It does pretty much any size that fits.

... and here is your money shot lol

I'm prob wrong here ?, but is this cedar its splitting ?..try that on red oak or white oak, or better yet..hickory , see how much it bog's down ?..lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

I'm prob wrong here ?, but is this cedar its splitting ?..try that on red oak or white oak, or better yet..hickory , see how much it bog's down ?..lol.

That's red oak I'm fairly sure... get a knotted up hickory in there and listen to those hydraulics whine lol

It will probably stop before it fails to split but I don't know. Not sure what would break first...

4 hours ago, shadetree said:

bit much for just one home ... it would take a while to pay off a setup like that... without doing firewood for the public.. most people here do there own .. with a wood splitter ... like above ... and it would not do some of large diameter logs I've short sawed ... wander what rig cost ? 

9 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

wander what rig cost ? 

No idea but if you buy something like that to cut firewood for yourself... you would have to be crazy lol

The Kubota was ~60K and the processor is likely another ~10k I honestly have no idea.

He sells firewood and does other stuff with the skid steer or that would have been a candidate for the worst investment of all time lol

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yup... it sure does ... 

It didn't bog at all in the videos I posted. If you hit something with a knot it will though.

Edited by oh400ex

I've got the setup for the cutter ... it would be the cost of the quick hitch hydro powered cutter plus getting the wood... I'm not one of those dumb green idiots ...but... i never liked cutting a good healthy standing tree .. other then thorny bodarks (Osage orange) which IMO is the best firewood ... just not easy to deal with... but very numerous along my 3 creek banks ... over this years flooding ... many have lost the root holds ... and come down... only two sides to this, they take for ever to rot, (plus) even after sawed up, two those blasted thorns .. <<<MINUS! ... lol 

Heading home now. Vermont castings encore. Good deal just had to drive 4 hours each way. But I got to have lunch on Lake Superior. 

5F0EDDD5-5D42-4C83-8607-E4ED8AE84DF4.jpeg

55815884-1964-4487-8398-0ED116F74543.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Sled , maybe get a sky hook 

image.png

Omg how handy would that be. Actually my cherry picker worked pretty ! good. The front legs fold up so it still fit in the trailer with the stove. 

D02074CB-BAB3-41D3-A053-80ECD3BBD0A1.jpeg

• Like 4

life is good sled, hope everything works well for you, nice looking stove.....

• Like 2

good looking cast iron burner, sled, i like the double glass loading dorrs, another plus is, if the power goes out you'd be able to cook ontop. 

Few hours of wire brushing steel wooling and vacuuming and it’s basically brand new. 

any one have recommendations for what type of paint to use???? I bought a couple types. See pictures below. 

5611B881-3D5F-43C7-B709-834C124D7F29.jpeg

E5E69C6C-57CC-46BC-A0A0-D9621A14829C.jpeg

F84A257D-22C3-4373-A7C5-6051F9BDD948.jpeg

259EC46A-5998-41AD-A5D6-954953A46ABB.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

good looking cast iron burner, sled, i like the double glass loading dorrs, another plus is, if the power goes out you'd be able to cook ontop. 

Typically you’d load from the top but the doors are available too. It also has a screen so you can open the doors and have direct heat like a fire place if you choose. Like on a Christmas morning or something. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

any one have recommendations for what type of paint to use???? I bought a couple types. See pictures below. 

Any reason you are going with paint over stove black?

Brand doesn't matter in my experience but I have never used the one below. Just linking for demo purposes

https://www.amazon.com/Imperial-KK0059-Stove-Polish-Paste/dp/B07G2PPLJ1

Edited by oh400ex

4 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Any reason you are going with paint over stove black?

Brand doesn't matter in my experience but I have never used the one below. Just linking for demo purposes

https://www.amazon.com/Imperial-KK0059-Stove-Polish-Paste/dp/B07G2PPLJ1

Not really sure. I didn’t notice the stove black at the hardware store. What is the benefit of that, I basically want the look I have just protectant against future rust. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

Not really sure. I didn’t notice the stove black at the hardware store. What is the benefit of that, I basically want the look I have just protectant against future rust. 

Stove black is super old school but think of it kind of like whitewash for a fence. Temporary but can be easily reapplied without stripping anything off. Usually a more temporary solution until you get some greying but just reapply every so often and it looks beautiful forever. Easy to patch if scratched compared to paint as well. I'm no expert but someone with more experience will likely chime in on the advantages/disadvantages. I love the look and a tub of the stuff will last forever when it comes to reapplications.

6 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Typically you’d load from the top but the doors are available too. It also has a screen so you can open the doors and have direct heat like a fire place if you choose. Like on a Christmas morning or something. 

nice! be sure to post pics when you get her going. 

6 hours ago, sled_22 said:

youll be fine with high temp rust oleum  grill paint (posted in your pics)  I've used it on my exhaust ... plus 4 years back.... right around the header I've seen the header glow ... and the paint is still there. after all this time. 

you might have to deal with a tad bit of flash rust, hard to tell with it being in doors... if it's not that big of a headache .. I'd fire it as is, then see how the outside changes ...if it doesn't flash rust... run it for now. rust oleum... has many defrent high temp paints ... just don't go with krylon grill paint ... it's not near as durable. 

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

you might have to deal with a tad bit of flash rust, hard to tell with it being in doors... if it's not that big of a headache .. I'd fire it as is, then see how the outside changes ...if it doesn't flash rust... run it for now. rust oleum... has many defrent high temp paints ... just don't go with krylon grill paint ... it's not near as durable. 

Yeah. That’s a good call. I will probably install as is after a little more wire brushing. 

got out in the woods today. Guess I need to cut wood on a regular basis to keep the wife warm. 
here’s some photos for you to enjoy. 
the big oak tree still needs to be split and hauled home. 

6238A35E-86ED-46F8-8711-92577048573B.jpeg

87FBEA68-0514-438B-BC24-152062A2F80C.jpeg

3BF3557E-66F4-4A25-B9A6-E6167EE11BBF.jpeg

• Like 6

Couldn't you season the outside of that stove the same way you would a skillet?  Rub some rendered bacon fat all over it, let it cure.  Your place will smell good, and your stove will be shiny and rust-free.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2