_Wilson_â„¢

Fire wood burners

Tell your story here, what type burner you have, show. Us your wood harvesting tools, chainsaws, wood spiltters, wood storage, hand tools, hauling method... Anything for wood burners ! Enjoy! Here's my small collection 🙂

image.jpg

• Like 2

Been burning wood for 30+ years, I presently have a wood furnace that's hooked into my forced air furnace ductwork.  Cut all my own wood, I have 10 acres of woods and tons of dead ash trees to harvest.  Her's a pic of my wood furnace in action, it's about 25 years old but still heating...Plus here's my wood hauler and small wagon I'm using now as it's too wet for anything larger.

Wood Fire.jpg

Wood cut.jpg

• Like 2

Agree, thinking this will be a popular topic besides ATV's......

• Like 2

I've been around wood and coal burning stoves my whole life so naturally I'm still burning wood. you can't beat the heat they provide. I have a barrel stove in my personal shop and a stove in the house for back up heat. When we lost power a couple years ago I had to finish cooking supper on the wood stove and that gets to be a hot kitchen.. I'll find some more pics of my stuff but for now this is what I found in my wood shed at the end of last year. Side note, my black lab is housed in the same shed.

20180225_120556 (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice ringneck, at least it looks like one....we are getting them back around here again, pretty much gone for a number of years...

• Like 1

I've Been thinking ... I might just take the o39 and  down this one. (300 + year old tree) if it goes down (due to weather) it will effectively take out most of my neighbors power, plus mine, (not happening) as you can see it towers WAY over the power lines, and..... the tree trimming service want this one to stay, told me its one of the last massive trees left in Maury county, but this is MY land! MY call! 

Opinions ?? 

Edit: i forgot the other pic shows a tad bit of the bottom size about 7 feet! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_â„¢
  • Like 2

I recently sold a couple of my saws, I used to use them quite a bit as a Surveyor in northern Alberta but since moving home I’ve found they sit more than anything. I had 372XP, 357XP, and 562XP Husqvarna’s, as well as a hot little 346XP.  I’ve sold all but the 346, so that’s my primary firewood saw now. 

E9E51B72-5CCA-4906-A377-73D322CCBEE3.jpeg

• Like 4

This is another old saw we have, we used it a lot when I was growing up but not very much anymore. I always hated it, seemed kind of dangerous. No idea the brand but it’s gotta be 40’s or 50’s vintage, belt drive not PTO. 

• Like 3

I've Been thinking ... I might just take the o39 and  down this one. (300 + year old tree) if it goes down (due to weather) it will effectively take out most of my neighbors power, plus mine, (not happening) as you can see it towers WAY over the power lines, and..... the tree trimming service want this one to stay, told me its one of the last massive trees left in Maury county, but this is MY land! MY call! 

Opinions ??

I've checked it, and the roots are giving away (to some extent!) should i ust let go down, without assistance ? As some of you know this monster tree grows right over my cave fed spring branch , and with all the flooding, the soil has been washed away. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

From your picture looks like it's leaning so probably gonna go the same direction whether cut or falling on it's own.  That would be a bigger tree than I have ever cut....

• Like 1

Good eye. Bcsman, she's defenntly on a lean... (It will break my heart to see her go)  AND, not too far away, there use to be  an old pony express station... I lost it years ago.... the neighboring trailor park kids .... Ended up causing that fire, that's one of the top reasons i got involed with fire rescue, it's odd how life events change our path....

• Like 1

Trailer park kids, they are funny, yes sometimes you end up in places your never envisioned...

• Like 1

Fire rescue huh, watching Live Rescue right now on A & E...

• Like 1

I'm tuned in to! (Paused)  It's been a long GOOD day.... The new forum is. Working great! Minus my junk lol! (But, No complaints) i located the trick for giving  ratings! I told ya @shadetree I'm just enough to be dangerous. Lol, anyways I'm out for a while. Re watching NASCAR... Reminds me  ... Has anyone heard from M_Quick ? 

Edited by _Wilson_â„¢
  • Like 1

I remember  that big tree now that I see the pic with your atv at the cave entrance , you can't cut that tree it is part of that place , might even be bad karma  , " Leave It "

• Like 2

Mac , posted that 346 Husqvarna , funny how we were just talking about that saw , I am going for that one 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My saw is buried in hardwood most of the time so I buy the standard Stihl RS full chisel chains. Full skip works great in large diameter softwoods, but vibrates and chatters and is hard on the clutch drum bearing when pulled through hardwoods. Full skip in hardwood stretches out faster and wears out faster too, since there are fewer cutters per linear foot of chain doing work.

• Like 1

Full chisel here, I do have a semi skip for my Stihl 360 on my 24" bar.  But figure the chisel will get the job done faster provided your saw has the power to pull the chain.  Some guy try to make their saw do more than it was designed to and actually slow their cutting down....

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Mac , posted that 346 Husqvarna , funny how we were just talking about that saw , I am going for that one 

She's a fine saw. Mine is a 346XP OE, the older style. There is a newer version too I'm not sure which is better. Mine has a little bit or port matching done, base gasket delete, running a 357 carb. 18" Tsumura lightweight bar on it, tuned to 15,000rpm. She's a screamer. Light as s feather too. 

• Like 2

I only run standard full chisel chains. There is no need for semi or full skip with small (<24") bars. Heck, I think even on a 28"-32" bar I'd probably still run a standard chain as long as the powerhead would pull it. I used to run a 24" bar on my 562XP and 372XP out west where there was bigger timber, but back here at home an 18" bar will do everything you need.

• Like 3

Yeah, fish thats her, I've desided to let her come down on her own, as for vibration retro , i don't experience any vibration in hard woods  using a full skip, ,full skips also take less time to sharpen, my main chain (i had custom made) is a square teeth round grind full skip chisel stihl 33rsf 66, this chain holds an edge longer then both of my Oregon chain, both of which are square teeth round grind chisel the full skip is a 72jgx066 power cut, the other is a Oregon non skip 72lgxo66 power cut.

this is an excellent site https://www.arboristsite.com/community/

• Like 3