_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

13 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Yeah it looks good stained. Plus a couple coats of poly brushed on thick should help hold up against firewood for a few years. Cost about $75 to make. Took me 30 minutes picking through the pine at menards to find enough wood semi straight enough though. 

You think timber is bad over there? Come over to Ireland, our "straight" timber is more like a hurley! (Stick used for playing an Irish sport if you didn't know). You'd be lucky the odd time to get really straight timber, but we might not have any timber in a few weeks if things keep going the way they are, sawmills closing down due to lack of trees being felled..

• Like 1

Just put a phone call in to your brother Canada, with the tariffs the US president is putting on Canadian lumber, we can surely fill the order and short the US.

On 10/20/2020 at 6:51 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

oh yes, i run only stihl chains .... i have a several models all square tooth round file chisels ... full ship, semi skip , and the standard  i had to specail order all of them... are you talking about the two in one stihl file ? 

image.jpg

that’s what I use. Best sharpener ever. Get rakers & all. Just awesome!

• Like 1

Grew up in New England. we heated the house (4BR, 2 Bath built in 1852) and hot water with wood. That meant 12 cords of wood a year for OUR house. Another 15 or 20 to sell. Used chainsaws, mauls and axes to cut and split it all. hauled it out of the woods on a 1952 Dodge 1 ton Flat Bed. that was back when a chainsaw weighed around 50 pounds. now I cut wood for my wood shop. Boy has a bandsaw mill.

• Like 1

i agree, wheeler , still have my eye one a bar, and chain type like this one, or ether of those stihl models .. the stihl models are costly, 

image.jpg

On October 25, 2020 at 3:25 PM, Mr. Brian said:

Grew up in New England. we heated the house (4BR, 2 Bath built in 1852) and hot water with wood. That meant 12 cords of wood a year for OUR house. Another 15 or 20 to sell. Used chainsaws, mauls and axes to cut and split it all. hauled it out of the woods on a 1952 Dodge 1 ton Flat Bed. that was back when a chainsaw weighed around 50 pounds. now I cut wood for my wood shop. Boy has a bandsaw mill.

if you have any pics, be sure to post them. 

On October 25, 2020 at 2:58 PM, Wheeler said:

that’s what I use. Best sharpener ever. Get rakers & all. Just awesome!

@Wheeler as much as I'm impressed with that 2 in 1 .... check out pages 9-12 couple of great videos on how to use those bar mount sharpeners... even one video about square filing a chain, a man can take a dull un checked chain to new again. 

On 2/12/2020 at 12:38 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Nope!  "Just use a file, and be patient.  You don't need any of those gimmicky things to do what can be done with a file!"

I ordered a Pferd version of that Stihl sharpener. 

I have Husky's so figured I couldn't use the Stihl sharpener on them.  LOL

On October 24, 2020 at 4:50 PM, sled_22 said:

Minwax special walnut stain #224. 

081867B1-2C63-4B1E-930D-64922D937B40.jpeg

oh, i missed this pic, now that lay out really looks great!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh, i missed this pic, now that lay out really looks great!

Thank you... It works pretty good other than what i'd hope would last a weeks time, is lasting about 4 days when filled to the brim. ohh well. I like cutting wood, for now. Picked up another truck load of wood while out to the cabin today, brought it home, split and stacked as much as i could... i need to get more pallets. I have about 40' of pallets stacked with wood, half 5' tall and half 4' tall.

I have another 2-3 cord of popple out at the cabin cut that i can split and bring home. But it's no oak so i might cut some of the downed oak I have out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Thank you... It works pretty good other than what i'd hope would last a weeks time, is lasting about 4 days when filled to the brim. ohh well. I like cutting wood.

your welcome, dealing with firewood does get in the blood. 

• Like 1

I burned a lot of wood this weekend , yesterday about noon I lit the fire pit on the patio and it was stacked up till about 9:00 last night mostly burning the fallen trash from the storm  

• Like 2

guess that huricain did have a SLIGHT plus .... now you don't have worry about tree trimming for a while (half cup full) 

• Like 1

mine looked the same, i went ahead greased the needle bearing and replaced it with oem, and kept the old one as a spare, 

just don't go gaga over the 2 in 1 file ;) eh 87. it's not a china made file. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

11 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

mine looked the same, i went ahead greased the needle bearing and replaced it with oem, and kept the old one as a spare, 

just don't go gaga over the 2 in 1 file 😉 eh 87. it's not a china made file. 

Here’s why I think it’s wore out. My chain was kind of sticking in my bar and was hard to spin by hand with a glove on. So I took the chain off to find the drive teeth had a lip wore in the bottom side around the “hook” of the drive tooth. I filed those burrs edges down and instantly got the chain to spin around the bar like new. So then I started to inspect the sprocket to find what I posted. My owners manual says to replace if there’s more than .2” of wear into the sprocket. I’m guessing mine is 3/16 to ,1/4” deep. New sprocket is on its way now. 

• Like 2

you had gloves on ?? .... mine was kind acting the same, even after the new sprocket, turns out i had a minor pinch in the bar, after (hand tooling) correcting that, she's been fine every sence, @bcsman might recall is was a standing hackberry that the wind blew back on the bar, so that ones on me, and the odd wind storm that was going on, that was the only time i ever had a bar pinched.... 

4 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Question for you all?  Is this wore out? 

6B93F5C8-7A7E-49FB-AAA6-E3524BC61D06.jpeg

86D1577F-F3A7-4EB9-8943-936D84660343.jpeg

Yup, thats worn out, mine looked the same here last week. Time for a new one..... mine cost me about 30 bucks for a new one.

i was able to dig a pic up from when i changed mine, so yes very close to the same damage, hard to believe this old sprocket is over 20 years in service! I'm still using the same clutch needle bearing, this time i went with bel-ray grease. credit for that goes to fish, he got me started using it, and that's all i use now, that and the foam filter oil. 

image.jpg

retro has a very interesting quick change sprocket system on his, maybe when he gets time he will indulge us. but here's just a pic, and credit goes to him.

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

31 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

retro has a very interesting quick change sprocket system on his, maybe when he gets time he will indulge us. but here's just a pic, and credit goes to him.

image.jpg

This is what I ordered last night. Except i bought Oregon aftermarket brand. Here's a link. https://www.hlsproparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=34162X

Mine was original too on a saw purchased in 2004.

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

you had gloves on ?? ....

Yeah i have a pair of thin leather gloves i wear for cutting and sharpening just in case I slip and drag a knuckle across a tooth. That's a testament for how sharp I like the teeth. Does that make me less of a lumberjack Wilson?!?!? 🙂

Edited by sled_22
added link
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

Does that make me less of a lumberjack Wilson?!?!? 🙂

lol! no not at all! it just yanking your chain.. lol. 

12 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

This is what I ordered last night. Except i bought Oregon aftermarket brand

oregon makes great parts! if i get another bar, it will be an Oregon ... you got the 3/8 pitch ? and be sure post updates on how  it compares, if i might ask, what was the price ?  

22 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

lol! no not at all! it just yanking your chain.. lol. 

No pun intended?

22 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

... you got the 3/8 pitch ? and be sure post updates on how  it compares, if i might ask, what was the price ?  

I have a feeling i won't notice anything. I probably should have ordered new clutch parts since I'm in there but we'll do one step at a time. It isn't like it's hard to get the drum off.

It cost $41 shipping included for a new drum and air filter. Figured it was time to get a new air cleaner since I turned the fuel up with the muffler mod.

• Like 1