_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

7 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Oh yeah they make them for 240. Actually about every single electric dryer has a similar one on the side of the heating element. Running inline with the 240 heating element. In that application it is a cycling thermostat. On and off as the clothes dry. If you cant already tell i did appliance repair for about 20 years of my life. Now im in hvac. So your situation falls directly in my wheel house lol

Good to know! Thank you. Yeah I have an hvac background too but commercial grade and I was on the mechanical side. Design engineering. Closest I got electrically was a dabble in electrical schematics. But that was mostly busy work. I could build an air conditioner but wouldn’t know how to control it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

Good to know! Thank you. Yeah I have an hvac background too but commercial grade and I was on the mechanical side. Design engineering. Closest I got electrically was a dabble in electrical schematics. But that was mostly busy work. I could build an air conditioner but wouldn’t know how to control it. 

No problem bud! Glad to help!

• Like 1

sled @bcsman here are those lube wholes i was talking about, but i see there are deference in types of fans from the pics posted, the dealer that installed my furness never did tell me about these lube point, and the owners manual doesn't mention them ether just the make of the fan motor (Dayton) after a new dealer took over (sam bass) the 3rd fan went down, so i made the trip to Giles county picked a new  fan, and asked hm, about those two holes he told me those are lube holes he then informed me mr black (old dealer) was making a killing making house calls just to replace fans , which alone is $300 plus, so after i got the new fan installed,  i called hardy, they couldn't tell me anything useful, except to phone Dayton, so i did, they gave me the run around to, and just wanted to sell me a new motor, but would be an updated model, which isn't compatible  with my large unit, i would have to go to hardy, or a hardy dealer, lol, my new one gets zoom lube , I'd say every week during use i should never have to have another fan for quiet some time. i did atemp to rebuild this one, but had zero luck of finding parts, and as you can see lube ports here in one pic, the new fan in another pic, kept the old one for some parts, I've already used the fan housing itself. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a heat exchanger I built for our fireplace back in 2011.  It throws a lot of heat in the room.  I used high output computer tower fans and a computer tower fan speed adjuster to adjust the speed of the fans.  I have a timer on the power outlet so I can select on or off or set various numbers of hours for the fans to run.  These are older pictures from when I made it before I added the fan speed controller and timer.

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

Picture 023.jpg

Picture 039.jpg

Picture 042.jpg

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Now that is cool.  Can you take some closer up pics of how it's mounted in the fireplace?

I just got some black iron gas pipe at lowes and some 90 degree fittings and put together a frame/shelf.  I took some 1/2 pipe clamps and attached the pipe with them inside the fireplace with some masonry screws.  The front "legs" are more or less just for looks, just angle iron.  Here's a pic without the legs, so you can see how its mounted - it just sits on top of the gas pipe frame.

BTW, I've been saying for the last 9 years that I was going to make some decorative front legs for it.  Ha.

Picture 024.jpg

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 6

spacer.pngThanks. I had bought a pellet heater for the study/living room a year earlier and got to looking at how the heat exchanger in it was made and based my design somewhat on that. Before building that thing the fireplace in the den was relatively useless for heat other than radiant heat. Everything else goes right up the chimney and I wanted to steal some of it back on the way up.  

Here’s pics of the pellet heater:

A411C1C4-61F5-4618-B535-457CF79F274B.jpeg

92F31F23-0DE1-4CB5-BEFF-0A460EF7E875.jpeg

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 4

Finally got around to cutting some firewood again! I got an emergency call on Thursday last to come take down an awkwardly dangerous tree that snapped and landed bang on a gate and post!🤦‍♂️

The whole tree was rotten in the core from bottom at least 40ft up. It also knocked an ash tree and 2 oak trees in it's path so I will be back another day or 2 in a few weekends time to finish chopping it.

42 inch bar flew through most of it, but I need to get the lower stem moved as the gate is sitting directly below it.

I got a little welcomed help from the farmer to push it over, I knew the fence post would aid it falling as soon as it got a nudge, it snapped like a match stick!

20201121_114848.jpg

20201121_125348.jpg

20201121_131552.jpg

20201121_131605.jpg

IMG-20201121-WA0012.jpeg

20201121_154105.jpg

20201121_161427.jpg

• Like 9

that's a nice score on fire wood, i always short saw monster downed trees, it's much easier on the back when loading up, also makes for quicker arm strong splitting , plus the the small chunks burn better, and produce a even heat in my furness. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

that's a nice score on fire wood, i always short saw monster downed trees, it's much easier on the back when loading up, also makes for quicker arm strong splitting , plus the the small chunks burn better, and produce a even heat in my furness. 

image.jpg

The majority of it is rotten in the core, but the top section that landed in the wood is all good firewood, I reckon about 25 tons of it fell in total, getting it out will be time consuming so we are cutting it to lengths to pull it out quicker, then chopping them down smaller in the yard.

It's a never ending chore!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

The majority of it is rotten in the core, but the top section that landed in the wood is all good firewood, I reckon about 25 tons of it fell in total, getting it out will be time consuming so we are cutting it to lengths to pull it out quicker, then chopping them down smaller in the yard.

im surprised it stood as long as it did with the dead center, how tall was the that monster ? 

4 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

im surprised it stood as long as it did with the dead center, how tall was the that monster ? 

I'm interested in knowing as well. Also, what kind of tree was that? almost looks like a beechnut or something.

12 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I dont know how tall it is as top the snapped in half as it came down, but it was 70+ foot tall at least.

8 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

I'm interested in knowing as well. Also, what kind of tree was that? almost looks like a beechnut or something.

It was a beech tree. They are known to fall unknowingly in Ireland, most beech trees that size here are rotten in the middle, it's a shame really as there is so much rot that isn't worth cutting up.

The big stump on the right sitting on the gate will probably be shoved into the wood to rot, it's not worth cutting up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we have the same issue here with the centers rotting, a few people have these big beech trees in there yards, they make for a nice shade tree, but uaslly a strong wind (thunder storm) will take them down, back years ago i heard they were hit with a blight, so that could be a factor in some of the older big trees going down. I've collected  a few downed beech trees with the center rotted out, but before hand had stood healthy for many years. 

With black Friday upon us, Keep your eyes open for a Fisker x27 for me. What's a normal US price? $65?

• Like 1

i didn't pay that much for mine, i got mine off of amazon .... something close to $45 i think. but i would give up to $80 with  life time warranty, especially after 1st impressions! here's how sharp the chopping axe is.after a weeks use, and no sharpening. took the hair off my arm with just one try. i almost lost a finger to the x 27, lol 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

47 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i didn't pay that much for mine, i got mine off of amazon .... something close to $45 i think. but i would give up to $80 with  life time warranty, especially after 1st impressions! here's how sharp the chopping axe is.after a weeks use, and no sharpening. took the hair off my arm with just one try. i almost lost a finger to the x 27, lol 

image.jpg

You have a set of balls setting that axe up on a glass top range. If i even looked at that top while holding the axe, the ! thing would shatter.

• Haha 2

oh i was very carefull, lol that did cross my mind at the time, but as many times as I've set a hot cast iron skillet of cornbread, eh, she's tuff.