_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

35 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

nailed it! semi brake drums

I used to work on tractor trailers when i was like, 19 😄

• Like 1

oh taking off and putting those drums was real fun, eh ? been there.... 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Yea we had some jack with 2 arms made for the wheels, rest was pure heft 😮 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 4:41 PM, SlammedRanger said:

I would just get an adjustable thrmo-disk type thermostat (120 or 240 depending on what the blower runs on) that i would mount directly to the sheet metal so it can get heat soak off it. Then i would run that inline with the main power to the blower so it keeps the blower running anytime the metal is hot. But would cycle off if the metal cooled off. Atleast thats what im grasping your trying to do? Keep the metal from getting real real hot?

Screenshot_20201116-174655_eBay.jpg

This is exactly what i did... Installed this disk directly in line with the blower fan. The problem is, I think the delta temperature difference is not enough. The blower kicks on at 140 but only runs for 30 seconds and then the disk shuts the blower off. Then, 30 seconds to a minute later the blower kicks back on. It's short cycling because the blower cools the surround off so quickly.

I don't think the disk is reading right anyhow after some testing. I disconnected the disk and manually had the blower running. I put a thermometer in the duct opening to measure the supply air coming off the furnace. It measured about 105 degrees. Inside the sheet metal surround, I would have to think the temp should be higher. However, the disk switch was "open" aka blower would have been off at this time. (after bypassing the switch and just having the blower run constant and measuring with a multimeter)

so either the return air is too cool where the switch is or the disk switch isn't working properly. I wonder if i installed that disk in the duct work right at the top of the furnace if it'd work any better???

Good day at the brush dump. Mostly ash but found some rounds of red oak someone missed. The new trailer works great. I figured a full cord in there. 

5E897B22-1E36-4734-B036-A738D87D595D.jpeg

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

nice score! what size is that new trailer 5x8 ? or 5x10 ?

6x10 with 3500lb axle. 

• Like 1

ah okay, thx! my small trailer is a 6x8 mesh floor, the others 16, 18 etc, are to big to pull with the bike. my only complaint with the small one is it needs wider tires for better supper on soft ground, something like fish has would work perfect. 

I had yesterday off so I put the trailer capacity to the test. Without stacking too high on the trailer, she hauls about 1.5 cord. That’s after splitting and stacking for verification. 8’ lg x 4’ deep. Not much gap between rows. Fence is 4’ high for reference. 
It’s January in WI and was splitting wood in a t-shirt. What’s wrong here???

050C42CE-7D44-4B5C-B7C4-A0374B040276.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sled_22 said:

It’s January in WI and was splitting wood in a t-shirt. What’s wrong here???

live been wondering about myself, i haven't burned much wood at all, even had to turn the Honeywell furness thermostat down due to to domestic hot water temps being so high. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

An equipment guy no doubt 

image.png

Can you imagine tripping over those big teeth every time you wanted to fill that little wood stove. can't imagine that being too handy. Clever heat sink though but it has to take 2 days to heat that sucker up.

Just a standard fire place. 1.5 cords. I use about half of it during the camping/hunting season.

20200906_213735.jpg

Edited by Tim-ANC
  • Like 3

thanks! here's one one mine, nothing like sitting around with friends around a open camp fire... I'd prefer... outside, then inside, well ...depending on the wether. 

image.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tim-ANC said:

Since you guys are sharing pics of your wood 😆

20200830_123006.jpg

Nice wood!!!! I like my stacks nice and tidy too. I want to build a wood shed this spring. Mostly so I can threaten my children I’m gonna take them out back to the wood shed. Only to make them stack wood of course. 

• Like 1

Ah, a lost piece of our society, the threat of the dreaded wood shed

• Like 2

Went for a spin on the bike today, beaver dams have about a foot of ice now so I can go and get the trees from the middle, dry as a bone bark fallen off, gives amazing heat, from standing to the stove in under an hour.....

20210123_153949.jpg

• Like 4